Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 4
997 : 2004- 69
996 : 1997-2005 46
993 : 1993-1998 8
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 17
Cayman : 2005- 14
Cayenne : 2003- 12
Macan : 2014- 3
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 5
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

stewhp
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving you thread Mark.

I feel your pain about selling a car you loved. I sold my 964 Turbo 3.6 after my son came along and my wife had to stop work. Loved that car but sometimes other things are more important.

I was porscheless for 8 years and even though I had various BMW's including 2 x E46 M3's they just never replaced the 911 experience.
So like you I managed to get my hands on a 996 last year and look forward to getting on with a few bits once I get my current M3 sold and can get the 911 out of storage and back home.

I look forward to some more updates as and when.

Thumb

EGTE
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info on the bits there, Mark.

Going to look at door striker plates right away.....

HSC911
Sepang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:

Granada Scorpio Question

Great write up

Thumb

Jay.
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read so far! Looking forward to where this is going. Really impressive collection of Porkers, hope this one satisfies your itch!

Marky911
Österreich

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osh wrote:
Pop Corn Pop Corn

Marky - come on m8; pull your finger out and get them all fitted m8... Very Happy

Great thread - looking forward to watching your progress. Thumb

Osh

Ha, thanks Osh. If I could I'd spend all day every day tinkering with cars but unfortunately, both money wise and time wise, cars are for when everything else in life is going hunky dory. Which as we all know isn't all that often. Grin

I hope that this time next year the car will be a lot more like what I'm aiming for. Thumb

stewhp wrote:
Loving you thread Mark.

I feel your pain about selling a car you loved. I sold my 964 Turbo 3.6 after my son came along and my wife had to stop work. Loved that car but sometimes other things are more important.

I was porscheless for 8 years and even though I had various BMW's including 2 x E46 M3's they just never replaced the 911 experience.
So like you I managed to get my hands on a 996 last year and look forward to getting on with a few bits once I get my current M3 sold and can get the 911 out of storage and back home.

I look forward to some more updates as and when.

Thumb

Hi Stew, yes welcome to the "loved and lost" club. Sad
964 3.6T. Those arches, those Speedlines!
I used to love the view in my wing mirror of the rear arch and rear spoiler on mine.

Like you say though, other things are more important. Family, friends and home are more important than cars, even though I am addicted to cars and always will be. Wink

You're right too, nothing can replicate the 911 experience. We are blessed when we own them, but cursed when we have to do without them, as there is no cheaper way to get that experience.
If a BMW owner has to sell their M3 then a tweaked 328 Sport can offer a decent chunk of the experience for less cost. (E46 and earlier obviously, before the M3 went VCool.
911 owners don't have that option.

Anyway thanks for the comments. Stunning 4S you have there and there must only be a few white ones out there surely. Mega rare.
Be sure to start a thread to share your progress. Thumb

EGTE wrote:
Good info on the bits there, Mark.

Going to look at door striker plates right away.....

Cheers EG,
Don't panic, there'll be some original cars out there with no corrosion but they'll be vastly in the minority. It takes years to spread though so can be nipped in the bud relatively easily.

HSC911 wrote:
Marky911 wrote:

Granada Scorpio Question

Great write up

Thumb

The 996 isn't quite as bad but I see where you're coming from. Oh, you mean the car next to it? Very Happy

That would be £700 worth of Swedish right angles.

172k miles and still going strong. It even has iPod connectivity via the cassette player. It's positively futuristic. Very Happy

And you don't get to shave your 911 interior with a beard trimmer do you?
You lads don't know what you're missing out on, honestly. Grin

Jay. wrote:
Great read so far! Looking forward to where this is going. Really impressive collection of Porkers, hope this one satisfies your itch!

Thanks Jay and yes I'm hoping it will satisfy my itch too.
It will never fill the GT3s shoes as there was just something a bit special about owning a piece of proper Porsche Motorsport heritage but that aside, even when I owned it and drove friends sorted C2s, I often thought "My GT3 isn't 4 times better", that being the relation of GT3 to C2 values.

I'm looking forward to getting stuck in. The 996 experience is every bit 911 and with a few choice mods they can be made a lot more raw and focussed if that's what an owner wants. I just love the variety and different direction owners are taking, even on this forum alone.
Good times.

Cheers. Thumb

Last edited by Marky911 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total

HSC911
Sepang

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:

The 996 isn't quite as bad but I see where you're coming from. Oh, you mean the car next to it? Very Happy

Sad Sad Sad Sad

Floor

Marky911
Österreich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then, so I enjoyed being back in a 911 for last summer, even though I only had a few decent drives out in it for Sunday lunches etc.
It didn't and still doesn't excite me that much visually, but I know it will once I'm done, so that's ok for now.

Driving wise it's every bit a 911 and to be honest for the price the driving experience is just fantastic.
Again it will be even better eventually.

Ok, so obviously with any used car once you start using them you get a feel or an ear for any little niggles.
I had the car booked in with my mate/Indy Jamie Nelson, Nelson Porsche in October, to carry out annual maintenance and whatever else, so I made a note of everything I wanted doing. Jamie was going to go right through the car too to no doubt find even more, so we could plan everything I wanted for the following spring (which is now fast approaching).
All the following issues were found/treated/reported last October, but I'll maybe put them into little bite size posts as and when I have time.

The worst thing on my car was that by the end of summer there was an almighty creaking from the drivers side front corner.
It was fine whenever I set off but would come on over 15 or 20 miles.

It was a seized bush in the coffin arm that heated up with use, then expanded, which in turn made it heat up and expand even more, until the creaking was really loud. Embarassed
Rather embarrassing when driving past people.

The remedy was of course 2 new lower coffin arms which were given to me free by Craig.
I've covered these before on various coffin arm threads so feel free to skim through it if you're familiar with them but I'll repeat it for anyone thinking of doing it.

Power flex adjustable camber bushes.
Long story short Craig's car had nearly new front arms and he went for an alignment. For some reason he could barely get any negative camber on one side so decided to re-bush the arms with the black series outer bushes and adjustable inner bushes.
On returning for another alignment expecting to adjust the bushes with the C spanner as required, he quickly realised you cannot budge them once fitted.
3 spanners later and lots of swearing Craig bit the bullet and purchased a pair of Elephant Racing rose jointed adjustable arms. Job jobbed.

So when my creaking started Craig gave me the arms and between me, Craig and Jamie we decided the best way to fit them would be with the bushes in the maximum camber position. Then when I went for alignment we could dial some back out using the top mounts.

So these were fitted. Notice the 3 spanners. Powerflex were very helpful to be fair and kept sending out new ones as they bent and even revised the spanner design, but just be aware that the bushes cannot be adjusted on the car as claimed.

So as I pass my local alignment place on the way back from Jamie's (which is 50 miles away) I popped in for an alignment.
I just had them set the front to -2 degrees and the rear to -1.5 and went with that.
I want to renew everything next winter so setup isn't critical for this year. Although it's perfectly fine anyway and drives great now.

Jamie had reported my rear bushes were staring to show signs of perishing and also my anti roll bar and bushes were looking a bit weathered. All to be sorted in due course.

Another issue, that I'd found when poking around the offside front suspension, was that some bozo in the past had been whacking the front hub with a mallet in an effort to split the ball joint from it.

This had caused a sharp feathered edge that they didn't bother dressing off, so it was now digging into the rubber ball joint cover on the new track rod end.

This had in turn oval'd the steel cup up inside the hub. Jamie had a used one in his spares cave, so fitted that.

He dressed the feathered edge off and built it back up.

While working under the front of the car he inspected the steering rack and found the PAS hose crimp to be corroded and on its last legs. This was replaced with a new jubilee clip. Well worth checking as a few lads in here have had failures.

More to follow. Cheers.

Last edited by Marky911 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:28 am; edited 3 times in total

Marky911
Österreich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue I had with the car was an intermittent brake problem. Some days the brakes would bind on, yet other days they wouldn't.
I suspected the slider pins but when Jamie got the car up in the air all 4 wheels were locked.

We decided it must be servo or something so I sourced a good used one for a mere £29 and had it delivered to Jamie's.
Thankfully it sorted it.

Once J removed the old one he tipped it up and rusty water ran out. This lead him to my bulkhead drain holes and sure enough they were blocked.
Water must have been accessing the back of the servo via the rod in the back.

Jamie also refitted my emergency fuel flap pull, that my dent removal guy found hanging out of the rear of its hole.

My drivers window didn't drop right into the door and this was just the usual case of the wedge for Boxster use being left in. So that was removed.

I'd also asked Jamie to fit a low temp thermostat but on inspection he found the water pump to look original and also the rads so suggested I think about doing the lot at once. Which I planned to anyway.

Along with a gearbox oil change and diagnostics check with the laptop, that was about it, but the inspection by Jamie did produce quite a to-do list, most of which were on there anyway but still.

As I said when I bought it, it's a lovely straight car but it hasn't been OCD pampered as we car nuts would do, so I know I'll be renewing a fair few parts this year.

Last edited by Marky911 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:30 am; edited 2 times in total

EGTE
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:

VW door catch gaskets. They'll stop it happening again as it's the fact the B post and door catch plate are made of 2 different metals that makes them react and corrode. This gasket repeated them.

Hi Marky,
Can you post the part numbers for these, please? Or at least say which VW (and which year) they're from?

Thanks.

Marky911
Österreich

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi EG,
It's the 3C0 number on the packet and it's called a "Door striker backing", 2 per car obviously. Thumb

EGTE
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, thank you. Thumb

Marky911
Österreich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jamie reported the following -

No plate light inop.

Sorted when I got home. It actually turned out that the connectors were a little bit green so a clean with emery cloth and WD40 had them working again. I fitted the new bulbs anyway.

AC inop, suspect condensers leaking.

Couldn't tell when I bought it as it was February in Scotland so the air was freezing anyway. I'll fit the new condensers soon then Jamie can re-gas it when it's at his.

Os cooling fan resistor inop.

Bought a pair, but not fitted yet. I went for the after market ones, which were £8 per pair rather than £130 for Porsche items.

Oil leak from IMS RMS area.

Doesn't drop any oil onto the floor but J had undertrays off and spotted it. No biggie, as I can't relax with the car until I have the IMS bearing inspected and seal flipped open, so the above will be addressed then. I'll have the RMS done and a new IMSB cover fitted too.
I've just sourced a Sachs clutch kit last week, in preparation. My current clutch and flywheel have only covered 20k but the clutches don't like being removed and refitted.

Both centre to rear brake pipes corroded.

Same as above. Easy to do when gearbox is out.

Throttle cable (front section) corroded in junction.

It works perfectly but water has got into the junction box and rusted the cable-end causing it to swell.
The front section of throttle cable is only available with the complete pedal assembly from Porsche so I've just sourced a used one with a perfect cable so will use that and whichever pedal is best.

Rear anti roll bar and bushes showing signs of wear and rear coffin arm bushes beginning to perish.

Planning on doing a full overhaul next winter, including a brand new m030 kit so it only has to last this summer. It drives great so I'm not too concerned.

Engine mounts worn.

I was in Florida for Xmas so bought some from Pelican parts. Will fit soon as I'll have my rear bumper and back boxes off again, which aids access.

I paid £275 for 4, vs £432 they would cost from Design911 or similar.

Various coolant hose clips corroded, advise replace at same time as ns radiator, waterpump and thermostat as discussed.

I have low temp thermostat which Jamie will fit with water pump. I'll replace both rads and condensers before I go down though and do both resistors while I'm on.

Rear brake discs corroded on inner faces.

I have a brand new pair of new front discs (even though these aren't needed yet) so will be sourcing a pair of rears soon. I'll probably wait until next years suspension overhaul to fit them all unless the current rears get really bad.

Front rain drains require cleaning out.

I'll do this soon. Easy enough.

So quite a bit to be getting on with but no horror stories. In fact it's all the typical 996 stuff really, now they're at that age.
This list should all be ticked off by May/June when the car comes back from Jamie's.
Well, all except the suspension work and rear discs, which I'll gather the parts for throughtout the year, as there's no urgency and I'd prefer to wait then blitz the lot, rather than replace failing components in dribs and drabs.

Anyway, all boring stuff that affects most of us but the fun stuff will come eventually.

Cheers. Thumb

Last edited by Marky911 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Marky911
Österreich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got the car out a few weeks ago after its winter lay up, the mileage display in my clocks wasn't working. Some of that pesky creepy condensation Les is always on about on here, must have gotten in. Grin

A quick google took me onto a thread about mk2 clocks which can't be sorted so easily, but after a few seconds panic I found out that the mk1s use a traditional style bulb for the backlights unlike the mk2s.
I was that relieved that it was an easy fix I just ordered the bulb from my local dealer without doing my usual Porsche tax avoidance checks.
So £7 later I had this. £7!

You can get 10 for £10 on eBay.
Anyway it was fixed and £7 was is still a bargain compared to mk2 clock repairs.

I also noticed how grubby my mats had become.

So I chucked them in the washing machine.
Better but not perfect.

I'd been keeping an eye out for some black ones since I bought the car but thought I'd have a proper look now. These popped up on gumtree.
New and unused.
£80 delivered.
(Sellers pic)

I also swapped out my CD drawers for the extra cubby hole.

Before -

After -

I'll be doing the console delete eventually but that's better for now.

Last edited by Marky911 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:48 am; edited 2 times in total

igaffz
Albert Park

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you have got lots to do! Wish I had your patients, I'd want it all done by Monday!

Keep up the good work Thumb

Marky911
Österreich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evenin' Ian, hope you're well!

I'm chomping at the bit to get stuck in but I'm having a big push on my front garden etc in time for spring and the er, <sigh> mother in law coming to stay.

At the minute I just try and get an hour here and there on the car when my lass is in the bath or watching TV.

Another month and it'll be full steam ahead.

I know you couldn't resist fiddling, especially if you had a pile of parts sitting in the garage.
I'm quite envious of how much tinkering you get to do. Thumb

cobrars
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think black mats fit in a car with grey interior, total different set up...

I'll give you £20 for them and not a penny more !!! Thumb

Oh, and you can drop them off on your way to work tomorrow too bye

Marky911
Österreich

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah yeah. Smile

I'll swap you for those old nomex Recaros. Just to get them out your way.

Crimp a Length!
Monza

2002 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up so far Marky, looking forward to seeing further progress when you pull yer finger out matey.
911 Supersport
993 C4S
911 Supersport
996 Turbo 2003
930 Turbo 89
996 GT2
996 Turbo 2000
911 Carrera 3.2 G50
996 GT3
DMS 996 Turbo GT2 Look beast 2002
Ford Sierra 3 door Cosworth
996-2 Carrera 2 with some nice mods

Marky911
Österreich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye up Ed! Long long time no speak.
Are you still doing as much Porsche stuff these days?
I hope all is well at your end anyway. Good to see you're still about. Thumb

Crimp a Length!
Monza

2002 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky911 wrote:
Aye up Ed! Long long time no speak.
Are you still doing as much Porsche stuff these days?
I hope all is well at your end anyway. Good to see you're still about. Thumb

Hi Mate
Had a bit of a break and bought a lovely 3 door 87 Sierra RS Cosworth, bit of a bucket list car, had it about 6 months.
Sold it at the weekend and now looking at getting back into the Porsche fold.
Thought i'd done them to death after 12!! but the buggers get under your skin as you know.
Going to spend about £30k max, so might end up with a leggy 6T.
I am interested in a C2 at Revolution Porsche with all the GT3 bits and have sent the bloke selling it a couple of messages but he hasn't got back to me as yet. Anyway looking forward to reading your blog buddy bye
911 Supersport
993 C4S
911 Supersport
996 Turbo 2003
930 Turbo 89
996 GT2
996 Turbo 2000
911 Carrera 3.2 G50
996 GT3
DMS 996 Turbo GT2 Look beast 2002
Ford Sierra 3 door Cosworth
996-2 Carrera 2 with some nice mods