Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C2 Exhaust Manifold - Can of worms

Armagreggon85

Silverstone
Hi all

I've owned my 1997 996 C2 for about 18 months now. It's pretty standard except for Castrol SRF brake fluid, GT3 front brake ducts/deflectors and currently PFC 08 brake pads ( a trip round Donington found the brakes lacking)

The car is great, especially on track, but my one issue is that it isn't 'rude' enough - my previous car was an e39 540 manual with straight pipes which sounded glorious - the 996 is just too quiet.

Having tried removing the silencers from my 996 and finding it too rude, I sourced a 2nd had pair of PSE boxes which needed a bit of welding and a 2nd hand set of stainless headers for a good price. I'm always after a bargain. The plan over the Christmas break was to whip off :floor: my current exhaust system and replace with the fruitier parts. Since I was visiting my parents over Christmas and my old man has a ramp, it seemed a good idea to tackle this there, as well as doing a service and replacing some parts while the exhaust system was off (low temp thermostat, crusty coolant pipes etc)

I thought I'd document my progress on here....

Now I've read that the manifolds are a b*tch to remove with rusty bolts and, although I'm no master mechanic, I tend to do all the maintenance on my own cars myself and I'm pretty willing to get stuck in and have a go at most things. So I started this with my eyes open, some plusgas, an oxy acetylene torch and a liberal amount of optimism - how bad could it be?

Day one
Started off pretty well, I cleaned up the pse boxes, welded the seams up and welded in a new flexi joint on one. The rear of the car was then stripped down, silencers were also removed. Lot's of the bolts and fixings were badly corroded and will need replacing.

Day two
By this point I had seen the state of the manifolds and it wasn't looking good. In the history folder that came with the car when I bought it there was a receipt from 3 years ago stating the PO had paid for the exhaust manifold bolts to be drilled out and replaced, however looking at the state of them I struggle to believe it. The top of the bolt heads were just mounds of rust and the manifold itself was in terrible condition.

(My timing chain tensioner seals are a little weepy and are on the to do list)

After all the horror stories of bolts snapping flush with the head, and the fact that there didn't appear to be anything to grip onto, I thought it would be best to drill the heads off the bolts, lower the manifold over the remaining stud and then extract the headless bolts.

I tried using a dremel to cut of the heads of the bolts but I found access was tricky and also the bolts were very hard and chewed through dremel discs at a rate of about 4 or 5 per bolt head. I go some cobalt drill bits from Machine Mart and got stuck in drilling off all the bolt heads. Most of them dropped off when you drilled far enough but those that didn't, I just hammered a socket on and when turned they twisted off. This was quite a time consuming job but I had drilled off all of the bolt heads on the drivers side manifold so I moved onto removing the manifold. This was more difficult than it sounds. With all the rust around the bolt and surrounding area, the manifold was literally corroded onto the bolt studs and no amount of yanking could budge it. There wasn't anything to lever off in that area either, our only solution was to loop a chain round the manifold and use a sledgehammer on the chain like a low tech slide hammer. It took a bit of pounding but eventually the manifold started to budge and finally dropped off.

At this point the bolts wouldn't budge so the plan was to coat the bolts in plusgas heat until glowing with the oxy acetylene torch, repeat a few times before attempting to twist out with some grips. This promptly failed miserably. The grips wouldn't budge them. I then purchase this laser stud extractor,

3986.jpg

again from Machine Mart, which is essentially a left handed mandrel that, as you tighten it it grips onto the stud and tries to turn it, it's fantastic. Using this I got 4 of the studs out, but on two of them, the bolt just snapped flush with the head. I was resigned at this point to getting a stomski jig and drilling them out.

Moving on to the passenger side, the plan was to repeat the process, and I began drilling out the bolts laid on my back. I got about half way when, even though I was wearing a full face mask, a pesky piece of metal swarf managed to drop underneath and got stuck in my eye - off to A&E to get it removed!!!

I was getting pretty p*ssed off at this point, however when I went back to take a look at the car a couple of days later it appeared to have a coolant leakage problem around the front of the engine, on the side where I removed the manifold.

Unfortunately I had to return home at this point so the car was left at my Dad's and I borrowed a car off him. I'm now rather nervous - have I disturbed the cylinder head gasket by yanking on the manifold or worse introduced any cracks. Unfortunately the car is 150 miles away and I can't investigate further until I go back, but I'm reliably informed that there is a small coolant puddle under the car! This could be turning into a real can of worms.....

I feel for you. Has to be one of the worst jobs on a 996 - that's why I went the DIY route (Don't Involve Yourself) and took it to my trusted mechanic.

Out of interest, when you heated the bolts up, did you quench them in cold water instantly after, then keep repeating that process?

Also, is there not chance you've caught a rubber coolant pipe with your torch and that's causing the leak?

I'de be very, very surprised if you've disturbed a head and caused a gasket leak. You were swinging on the cylinder block, not the head.

Haha I like the 'don't involve yourself' route but I don't like the bills, although it's sounding ever more appealing!

It's possible that I have caught or disturbed a coolant hose, this would be the best thing however seeing as I'm so far away and can't investigate it my mind is wandering and jumping to the worst case scenario

There is a plate marked in your image .. im hopeing the coolant is comeing from here as 996 do tend to get minor leaks from this blanking plate .

Headgasket is shown and obviously runs the length of the head .

Attachments

• leak_1_133.jpg
    leak_1_133.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 10,533
Thanks

I hope this is the case. I'm hoping to go back up there next weekend so I'll try and update on further progress. I'm currently sourcing all the bits that I want to replace while the exhaust is out of the way..

Good luck with your endeavours OP, please continue with the updates as I'm sure that this is a job that I will have to tackle one day.

Looks like an absolute ***** of a job but like you I prefer to do the jobs myself even if it takes me a while, lots of satisfaction when it's successfull and I image you would end up spending £1000 to get the manifolds removed in SE UK.

Great to see someone else doing this, if you have to drill some out it's certainly worth using diamond tip drill bits and plenty cutting fluid. They aren't cheap but go through them like butter.
Good luck.

When exactly do you decide to do this little job, mine looks pretty horrendous in the manifold dept and I keep considering whether to tackle it or not as an Aerospace Engineer it is well within my ability but it does look to be a pig of a job I just wonder whether to leave well alone or should I get it sorted now and do you fit OE manifolds or aftermarket?

Del.

Armagreggon85 said:
The car is great, especially on track, but my one issue is that it isn't 'rude' enough - my previous car was an e39 540 manual with straight pipes which sounded glorious - the 996 is just too quiet.

Be careful not to make it too loud if you wish to continue tracking the car. Mine only has Dansk Sport and it reads 100dB static. :nooo:

911munKy said:
Good luck with your endeavours OP, please continue with the updates as I'm sure that this is a job that I will have to tackle one day.

Looks like an absolute ***** of a job but like you I prefer to do the jobs myself even if it takes me a while, lots of satisfaction when it's successfull and I image you would end up spending £1000 to get the manifolds removed in SE UK.

As a price guide
- no bolts snap below head level around £200 plus vat
- for each one snapped below head level approx £50 plus vat each extra to above

Worse case we have had was 7 that needed to be helicoiled.

No tech likes doing this job either :grin:

Armagreggon85 said:
Thanks

I hope this is the case. I'm hoping to go back up there next weekend so I'll try and update on further progress. I'm currently sourcing all the bits that I want to replace while the exhaust is out of the way..

The studs are torque highly so cannot see anyway you could have disturbed the headgasket - you should be fine

Ken

Delanor said:
When exactly do you decide to do this little job, mine looks pretty horrendous in the manifold dept and I keep considering whether to tackle it or not as an Aerospace Engineer it is well within my ability but it does look to be a pig of a job I just wonder whether to leave well alone or should I get it sorted now and do you fit OE manifolds or aftermarket?

Del.

If you plan to keep the car "forever" then crack on, make sure you use some titanium bolts so the problem is never repeated.

If not then "when it blows", could be tomorrow or could be in 10 years....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back