Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Can you help me make a tough decision?

stonerose

Trainee
Hi - a quick question for you all.

I'm considering buying a 2002 tip cab 996 (75k miles) with nine former keepers (I would be 11). I've done my due diligence and it was sold three times by 911 virgin including to the current owner who has had it serviced at a Porsche main dealer including six months ago. Private sale. It had a full file of receipts and history.
The only thing I would add to it is heated seats - it has Bose and parking sensors.

Also considering a 2003 tip cab 996 with 65k miles, only three owners, heated seats but base spec other than that. This can is through an Indy and would cost around 2.5k more. Serviced at Porsche London about 1.5 years ago.

Both drive well.

What would you do?!

Many thanks

If they were the cars of my choice, the 1st one, but for both - bore scope.

65k v 75k miles is worth ......... :dont know: £1k max'.

2003 v 2002 is worth ........... :dont know: but not a lot.

Therefore, dealer with consumer protection buy v private buy is costing £1.5k.

Only you can decide whether the protection afforded by buying the car from a dealer is worth that £1.5k. Personally I wouldn't buy a 911 privately unless the difference was considerably more than that.

If the private car is your preference get a PPI done and according to the results you may be able to negotiate the price down.

Good Luck :thumb:

stonerose said:

I'm considering buying a 2002 tip cab 996 (75k miles) with nine former keepers (I would be 11). I've done my due diligence and it was sold three times by 911 virgin including to the current owner who has had it serviced at a Porsche main dealer including six months ago. Private sale. It had a full file of receipts and history.
The only thing I would add to it is heated seats - it has Bose and parking sensors.

Also considering a 2003 tip cab 996 with 65k miles, only three owners, heated seats but base spec other than that. This can is through an Indy and would cost around 2.5k more. Serviced at Porsche London about 1.5 years ago.

Both drive well.
What would you do?!

Many thanks

Please, please, please only consider the car that has had an engine rebuild. Failing that, only consider a car that is all clear after a borescope.

Buy on condition not on spec.

Buying a high spec lemon will rapidly bankrupt you. (I speak from experience)

A Hartech engine rebuild car would be the only one I would consider.

I do not wish to scare you or put you off because they are great cars, but please heed the advice you receive on here and then you will enjoy a great car. :thumb:

T8 said:
Personally I wouldn't buy a 911 privately unless the difference was considerably more than that.

If the private car is your preference get a PPI done and according to the results you may be able to negotiate the price down.

Good Luck :thumb:

Surely it's previous history (sold to the last owner by nine hundred and eleven virgins for their 3rd sale of it) has some pulling power? :dont know:

Thanks. The owner thing is strange. On one hand it feels odd to have so many owners. On the other it has been ''made good' so many times that has got to be a good thing.

But can I get seat heating fitted??

Never let the deciding factor of buying a car be keeping your bum warm, unless price, age, mileage, condition, owners, etc. are identical.

why would you say only consider a car with engine rebuild, completer rubbish in my opinion.
Go with the one which feels right and has the most complete history, then get it checked out properly.
I love my tip, though mine is an early c4 coupe.
goodluck which ever one you go for.

Is it definately the cab your after?

stonerose said:

Both drive well.

What would you do?!

Many thanks

much harder to flog a cab when the time comes, shite uk weather, I always think if you are that way inclined, targa is the perfect solution.

just my opinion, I only have coupe, some people don't like them.

Palladium said:
much harder to flog a cab when the time comes, shite uk weather, I always think if you are that way inclined, targa is the perfect solution.

just my opinion, I only have coupe, some people don't like them.

:floor:

was there something factually wrong in what I wrote?

cabs are much harder to flog, or are they easier?

I'm on my third cab and never had a problem selling my other 2.

The % of people wanting a cab will be the same as the % available - hence why they were sold in the first place to new owners.

Basic statistics mate. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back