Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Choice

mzmini

Barcelona
A quick question for the oil gurus my indie is doing a service next week
and he always uses Mobil 3000 5 - 40 rather than Mobil 1 0 - 40
what I want to understand why, I cant get my head round the fact that the 5 - 40 is thinner on start up than the 0 -40 Mobil 1 ,I thought as the engine aged the thicker oil would offer better protection on start up than the thinner one or is it me being thick :dont know:

I am running millers nano 10w50 Chris I was told to use a thicker oil as the engine getting older one of the reasons I was told is that as the seals age the thicker oil doesnt leak :dont know: have no idea if thats true or not but Hartech recommend what I use so that works for me. :thumb:

0W 40 oil is very thin the 5W 40 grade maintains the same viscosity when hot (the 40 end) but is thicker when cold (the 5 end) which is why it tends to be used when the mileage is higher as seals etc start to develop more clearance.

Del.

Thanks Delanor just read the same on a VW forum I get it now :worship: oh and thanks a little bit Phil 997 :floor:

Hi Del,

Excuse me being thick but the viscocity of 5/40 is much thinner than 10/40 when cold (ie. it takes 5 seconds for the steel ball to drop as opposed to 10 seconds).

Puzzled? Cheers, Keith.

Hi Del again,

Just read the OP, realise I should have gone to specsavers, the comparison is 5/40 versus 0/40 (not 10/40).

Stet, apologies.

Keith.

Is there any difference in recommended oil for 997.1 and 997.2 engines ? Or same for both ?

Nik said:
Is there any difference in recommended oil for 997.1 and 997.2 engines ? Or same for both ?

Not sure but subscribing. My 997.2 had mobile1 at the OPC last week.

would 0/40 be better for the IMS bearing? In that, a thinner oil would be more able to seep into the bearing through the seal especially when cold.

mzmini said:
what I want to understand why, I cant get my head round the fact that the 5 - 40 is thinner on start up than the 0 -40 Mobil 1 ,I thought as the engine aged the thicker oil would offer better protection on start up than the thinner one or is it me being thick :dont know:

He uses Mobil 3000 5w40 as it's far cheaper than Mobil 1.

Why don't you supply your own oil.

mzmini said:

You've got confused

Ow40 is thinner than 5w40 on start up.

Operates up to -35 degrees instead of -30 degrees

Have a read

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm

oh no...not another oil thread MZ!
i looked into this in some detail, got confused by all the contradicting info and so decided just to stick with Mobil 1 until somebody else does all the leg work, i do think if i was losing oil i would move up to the thicker millers but based on the fact i'm not using any yet and the low miles i do between services it is a lot of money to not get full use out of :)
I am sure that some OPC use a thicker oil for older cars - is that the Mobil 3000 or some other brand oil?

Hi Bikeracer I do supply my own oil its not a cost driven choice just what he suggests :thumb:
thanks for the Kew oil link ,so 5 - 40 a tad thicker on cranking
most helpful thank you
:worship:

I've been tempted to go down the thicker cold oil route but a friend of mine threw a right spanner in the works with his theory.

He said - what do you want thicker oil for when it's cold? Oil's there to lubricate all the parts. If it's thicker when cold, it'll take longer for it to circulate around all the engine parts for those first few important seconds when it's fired up. :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back