Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 997 Owner!

Jammy997

After much deliberation I have eventually taking the plunge on my first Porsche.

It's a 2004 54 911 997 Carrera S. 37k on the clock

Did all my necessary homework regarding the borescope and the results showed minimal wear, comprehensive history and only 2 owners. So I made the purchase!

Having read numerous threads on here I have been well educated on how to maintain the car.

I just wondered if any one is still running their original IMS Bearing on their 2004 and if anyone has any of their borescope result images for a comparison?

Also, a few less horror stories and more positivity always helps a new owner too. Haha

Thanks guys,

James

:welcome: my early 997 is still on the early IMS I have purchased 3 Porsche's privately never had a PPI or bore scope :dont know:
A nice young man called Phil 997 will be along soon sing the virtues of the 997 oh and by the way any pictures :thumb:

Hi James, welcome to the forum and to 911 ownership , they are stunning cars and I am sure you will be doing lots of grinning while driving. also when walking away from the car and looking back at it is a normal affliction for 911 owners lol . re your new toy as you have said most cars have wear marks and this is sometimes mistaken for the dreaded borescore . just follow the recognised warm up under 3000rpm change the oil yearly or more often , consider changing to millers nano , consider a LTT . re the ims the issue with this is if it goes its a rebuild having said that many are saying if a cars done 80k just change the seals not the ims as yours as quite low miles I would recommend getting it done its about 1k to get the newer bigger ones fitted. there's a thread running at the moment one member brought used bigger ims and got Hartech to fit .have a chat with Baz or Grant at Hartech they will guide you on the best things to do.
I have owned my 997.1 06 for 4 years and 45k miles its now on 82k with no serious issues and the running and repair costs are very much like a BMW or Merc. but way more fun to drive.
Most important don't get too hung up on the scare stories most cars have some scare issue hanging over them and if we all stressed we would be on bicycles FFS enjoy the fun of driving one of the most sorted sports cars out there. :thumb: :thumb: and we do need some pics mate :grin:

mzmini said:
:welcome: my early 997 is still on the early IMS I have purchased 3 Porsche's privately never had a PPI or bore scope :dont know:
A nice young man called Phil 997 will be along soon sing the virtues of the 997 oh and by the way any pictures :thumb:

haha nice one Chris , you beat me to the post my one finger typing :thumb: :grin: :thumb: catch up soon mate :thumb:

oops duel post :oops:

Poker2009 said:
return it

Only for the fun of the drive,then take it back home again :thumb: :grin:

...cor you edited that post quickly Phil - see you're walking now and not the other one....!!!!! :roll: :floor: :eek:

memo to Phil997 - proof read before posting :hand:

mzmini said:
...cor you edited that post quickly Phil - see you're walking now and not the other one....!!!!! :roll: :floor: :eek:

memo to Phil997 - proof read before posting :hand:

freudian slip I am sure mate, but the L and the N are very close on my keyboard but no I do prefer snowfoam to clean the car with :floor: :floor:

:welcome: :driving:

:useless:

So Phil you don't have QWERTY keyboard then Phil ?? :eek:

Phil 997 said:
mzmini said:

memo to Phil997 - poof read before posing :hand:

:floor: :floor: :floor: sorry mate couldn't resist
sorry James for slight thread hijack :thumb:

mzmini said:
So Phil you don't have QWERTY keyboard then Phil ?? :eek:

typewriter Chris :floor:

Hello and welcome.
I'm running an early 997 and still on the original everything I think.
Follow Phil's advice and most of all enjoy it :thumb:

Thanks a lot for the positive responses chaps, really appreciate it. At 28 years old it's a dream come true having moved from a 1968 VW Beetle. Not sure which is faster though....

Will get you some pictures up tomorrow gents. Silver with black and 19" alloys.

Very true in what you say Phil. Why is it we have to turn around when walking away? I never do that with the Mrs :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back