Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HI AND SOME BUYING ADVICE

jaychief

Trainee
Hi,
New to the forum and never thought I would ever be posting on a Porsche forum.
Am sure these questions have been asked a million times before !!! Am looking at treating my self to 997 911 for my birthday this year.... I currently drive a Mini JCW and have driven them for a few years. I would like to know people thoughts on C2S manual and running costs and were would you buy one from ?
Ive looking at spending about £30k....
Thanks
J
:?:

:welcome: I would look at people like 911 Virgin, Harbour Cars and any of the dealers that have links from this site that would be my starting point once you have seen their cars you can look privately I did ,I brought 3 Porsche's this way most will recommend a PPI which can be money well spent .When you find a car that floats you boat perhaps ask a few gently questions on here but keep your cards tight to your chest as some less scrupulous soles might jump in good luck with the chase the fun begins from now on :thumb:

£30 k is a good budget for a 997. Enthusiast owned cars do come up for sale on here if you are confident buying privately. As above, pay for. PPI. There is a post today you may have seen where a PPI revealed bore scoring to the tune of a £7k rebuild. That's was on a 25k mile car with fsh.If you post what you're after eg manual Tip coupe cabriolet together with any must have options, you may get some help in finding some possible cars. Best of luck with your search. Take your time and PPI.

Don't feel secure if a trader offers warranty you really must get a PPI!

Only exception would be an official Porsche warranty!

This is a great site, let us have your list of requirements and you never know one of us might walk into our Indy see a car and think "I know who wants one of them" good luck.

Whats PPI?
I am quite lucky my friend owns a garage that fixes "super cars" he said he would have a look when I find one, however I don't want to rely on him in case it puts him a position later down the line....
He has told me stories down the years of cars that cost a fortune to put right, I was close to buying a 964 a few years ago but the serving costs scarred me off!!

jaychief said:
Whats PPI?

A Pre Purchase Inspection. I wouldn't pay for anyone to do one unless they knew the stuff with these cars. Most importantly if you're looking at a gen 1 997 is a bore-scope to see if the bores are scored. If they are - run a mile as you're looking at £7k - £12k engine rebuild..........and it's not a rare fault either.

Welcome to the forum, 30k will buy you a very nice car so be fussy.
It may take you some time to find the right car so be patent and be prepared to travel .
Loads of great advice on here so follow it and enjoy the search.

Good luck :thumb:

Hi and welcome to the best Porsche forum on the planet 8)

Anyway, I was in the same boat 3 very quick years ago and found my first Porsche at rsj, with all the spec I was looking for and within budget.

Great experience and the comfort of their 12 month engine and box warranty.

Respected dealer for me but good luck and have some fun

:thumb:

Buy a Gen 2

Even if a 997.2 3.6 Carrera

Still faster than every previous Carrera and pretty much a match for a 997.1 C2S 3.8

Welcome to the forum, As others have said make sure you ask a Porsche indy who knows these cars to do a PPI and borescope that will give you the best chance of acquiring a nice car which for 30k you should gen a nice 997.1 if you can squeeze to 35/38k you could be in a 997 gen2 car.
the running and general costs of these cars are in line with most or the usual German marques but a whole lot more fun car to drive.
the 3.6 gen1 manual is general regarded as the least likely to give you any headaches but if you can run to a Porsche warranty at about £100pm you can have any of them. Porsche will offer a warranty on cars upto 14 years old brought from anywhere but they need to pass a 111 point check to qualify so try and get the seller to get this done for you even if you pay the £220 cost as you will know that after the 30 day ownership that must be done before the warranty can kick in ,you can have total peace of mind driving as these warranties are full cover. 30k should get you into a car that can still be warrantied to 4 or 5 years and is by far the most peace of mind way to enjoy your Porsche ownership.
they are quite reliable cars apart from the big issue or potential borescoreing as thats a 7/12k rebuild and is the most discussed potential floor in some of these cars and as it seems to be mush to do with the way they are owner ,driven and maintained it can happen even on low mileage cars which is why thr borescope as part of your PPI is important as if its a clean car then under your ownership following the few simple guidelines it will remain a clean car , there are many threads on here about the way to minimise any issues under your ownership.
You will find these cars are just about the most sorted fun driving cars you can own and can be used as daily drives or weekend toys. you will get plenty advice on here about the few but important things to do to minimise any issues and follow those guidelines and you should have years of fun reliable hooning. have a look on the meets board and get along to one of the get togethers near you as that's by far the best way to get advice and pointers on buying your 911 99.9% of the forum members are very decent guys and will always try and assist another enthusiast.
Good luck in your search keep us posted, and as pointed out further up the thread . there are lots of lurkers who will jump on any bargains you discuss on the open forum and beat you to them, so my advice is pick a few members who you think could advise and PM them your questions on any specific cars you have spotted and get to some meets . :thumb: :grin:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on making an excellent decision!

Prepare for a whole new experience where performance is concerned, these cars are simply awesome.

As others have said, loads of information and knowledge available on this site to help you stay clear of trouble.

Bore scoring will be the main issue brought up when discussing 997.1 but there is loads of information available.

Good luck with the search.

Thanks everyone you have all been very welcoming, what year did the gen 2 997 come out ?
I am going to give a few different models a test first. But I will miss my JCW mini it's a great car !!!

So £30k is a good budget, and will squeeze you in to a low spec non S carrera Gen 2 car like this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-coupe-superb-value-stunning-car-2009/6552227

Portiacraft are a great dealer, would buy happily from them.

However, you are going to get high mileage low spec cars.

You could possible squeeze into a Gen 2 S car if you dont mind private sellers:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...gen-ii-carrera-2s----------------2008/6552787

Personally I would aim for a 2007 or 2008 Gen 1 car with a high spec and lower miles from a good dealer like Porticraft, RSK, 911V, etc. and maybe with an OPC warranty, or add one, for peace of mind.

You want:

Manual
Sports Chrono
PSE
Heated Seats
Multi Function Steering Wheel
top tinted windscreen is nice
BOSE is ok, but not essential

Is it going to be an every drive, or a weekend toy? Do you plan to put some miles on it, say over 10,000 a year? Have you thought about a cabrio, or is it only coupe you want? Targa maybe?

Give us a bit more info on what you will use it for, how you drive (I drive for amusement as I work from home for example). If it's to commute in, a Gen 2 PDK would possibly be a good idea. If you are going to add some miles to it, dont go for a 20,000 mile car. Don't be scared of lots of miles, 997's need looking after regardless. You want a car which has been looked after over a low mileage one (see the thread about the 25k mile car with core scoring!)

Happy to cast my eye over potential cars, I am not in the market so won't steal them away!

Test drive a few, especially 2 and 4 wheel drive cars, they are vastly different animals. It isn't exactly a chore taking a 911 out for a test drive!

I do about 3/4K miles a year, I bike to work mostly as I only work about 7 miles away.
inrelation to owing a 911 I have always wanted to own one, my freinds own decent cars which I am lucky to borrow, however I want to be able to say I have owned a 911 and the experience of owing it, going le man etc.....

jaychief said:
I do about 3/4K miles a year, I bike to work mostly as I only work about 7 miles away.
inrelation to owing a 911 I have always wanted to own one, my freinds own decent cars which I am lucky to borrow, however I want to be able to say I have owned a 911 and the experience of owing it, going le man etc.....
Wait till you drive a Porsche 911 jay, it's an experience all on its own 8)

It'll make you feel like steve McQueen :grin:

You can maintain them on a decent budget, especially if you know one end of a spanner to another and there's plenty of help here.

Be aware though, you won't run them on the same budget you do with the mini :nooo:

Here's an example

http://www.rsjsportscars.co.uk/showroom_details.php?url=NjA1&id=605&oderid=20

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back