Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Timing chain snapped on my 996 C4S - Needs a rebuild

KQN

Had a nightmare the other day and the timing chain on my 996 C4S snapped. Naturally there is valve damage (don't know how much yet) and I have been told that the piston rings and the big ends need to be done. My guy (Independent Porsche dealer) has quoted me just under £9200 for this including VAT as a worst case scenario.

Does that price sound fair? It sounds a bit expensive for me (I understand that it normally costs from about £7k upwards) but I do trust the guys that I use.

I need a second opinion.

Of course, given that the engine is being opened up and re-done, I was advised to get the IMS bearing upgraded and the cylinder liners re-done. I have been quoted an additional £2k for this.

I want to cry....

Really sorry to hear this KQN, before you go any further I would highly recommend you speak to Hartech. If you need a full rebuild you are best off using their services and going for a closed deck solution.

Ouch! Very Ouch!

Not that it matters now but any idea what caused it? Any over revs recorded on the last few hundred miles or is it just a failed chain guide or something due to high miles?

Anyway good luck with the repair. If you're looking at a nigh on £10k build then definitely get it done by Hartech. It will future proof it and be better than when it left factory. Although by the sounds of the damage it may well be over £10k.

Sorry to hear

+1 with what ELA has said.

Out of interstest what is the mileage on your car?

Stripping the engine to simply repair that issue is false economy as at around 100k the bores will be going oval and the main crank bearings will be well past their best (been there done that).

IMS options vary and you should have a single row bearing on the c4s (as are all 3.6engines) so there's the option of simply replacing it with a new £15 one with dust shields removed which is proven to then be totally reliable, engine rebuilder should have this info. It does depend how deep your pockets are how bullet proof you want to make the rebuild but personally I'd spend the more having a decent set of 6 wet type cylinder liners put in there.

Food for thought, hope this helps a little.

Sorry to hear, OP. +3 for Hartech

I had the same issue a few years ago and rebuilt the engine myself, I had 10 bent valves and I replaced lots of internal parts but I didn't need to replace piston rings. The total was around £3500 and that was just parts.

My rebuild thread so you know what to expect http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=74946

If there is nothing wrong with your cylinders why would you replace them other than going for Nikasil ones to make sure there is no future bore scoring issues. As for the IMSB I would just fit a like for like replacement with the seals removed, this has served many well.

Sorry to hear this! Especially in January!

Out of interest - what does Hartech typically charge for a full rebuild with their uprated bore liners and IMS bearing on a 3.6?

Also - what premium do Hartech cars command over a factory standard car?

Cheers

Nick

Thanks guys,

I think it was just age, it had done almost 80k miles.

I will give Hartech a call now and let you know how I get on.

Only 80,000? Yikes, mine's on 79,700 :)

Good luck, mate.

Any idea why chain snapped - can it be traced to anything in particular?

Not exactly a spring chicken at 80k but still gutting if this happens.

I would expect some bore ovality at that mileage but would be interested to see how they spec out once engine is stripped and measured.

If you are able to remove the engine and strip it to a bare block, courier it out then you can save a reasonable chunk of the costs as there's a fair bit of labour just there.

Let us know how you get on and best of luck

Try to be positive........if you can afford the Hartech rebuild...do it.

Your car is appreciating with every year.

A Hartech rebuild is not throwing money away as not only will it make the car more desirable when you eventually come to sell it, but will also ensure you get the best price.
:thumb:

£2k for a new IMS bearing while the engine is in bits? :floor:

I'd be getting some more quotes, I think your engine builder may be over charging - should be much less than that especially with the engine already on the bench for a rebuild e.g. https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/servicing/ims-bearing-upgrade/

Oi, I would consider 80k a spring chicken for a 996! Plenty on here with 160k+ with no engine work.

OP your guy sounds like a rip-off to me. So £11k including IMS - I'm sure you'll be well into Hartech territory at those sorts of prices. Their pricing is pretty transparent
https://www.hartech.org/rebuild-prices

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back