Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

winter driving / immobiliser anxiety

tim993

Zandvoort
trying to make sure my 993 goes out at least once a month, no matter what time of year. So she had a nice little run down to salisbury and a slightly more scenic route back.

Sure, the car is now filthy, but hey - tuck it back in the garage and I can forget about that very quickly :thumbs:

anyhow, the slight point of this thread was to ask if others have 'dongle anxiety' - (ignoring all the double entendres and phnar phnars that implies )?

it manifests itself as that slight nervousness as to whether the immobiliser will emit the customary beeps and disengage or decide to pack up for good.

Now, i've never had an issue that can't be resolved by putting the key in the ignition and turning it all the way, then back again before inserting the dongle again, but it strikes me this a potential weak point as the car gets older.

anyhow, more importantly it was great to take the car out and she was running beautifully - the RS shift-rod in particular justifying its excessive cost on every gear change :thumbs:

Roll on the 'Jolly Boys' Outing' :)

I don't yet... but with these electronic parts being 20+ years old, the time when the original immobiliser becomes a liability must be drawing closer?

Mine has got to the stage where it doesn't always deactivate with the first attempt. I don't really want to put in a replacement original unit as it's probably now state of the ark.

Can they be removed easily?

Very timely post! It may be very likely that my immobiliser has called enough, although I've yet to get to the bottom of the non-start problem I have.
:?:
But come what may . . . the whole damn caboodle is being ripped out, I've had enough with the stupid plipper and the ***** alarm. Its all coming out.
All I want is a remote to let me in and lock the car. Tore's T-Lock seems to fit the bill perfectly.
These aftermarket bits of alarm/immobiliser kit are more trouble than they are worth . . . I'm out (and so is it!)
:thumb:

I took my car back to H&P and had one of the later alarm immobilisers fitted without the dongle, just a lock/unlock button.

Mines the original 1995 H&P installation from when the car was new - not sure that it counts as after-market as such - but it is very much state of the ark tech :grin: The cute little dongle has 'Porsche' written on it - so it will keep the illuminati happy.

I guess I could tape my dongle over the recovery truck's badge when it takes me to where I need to go, so I would still arrive in a "Porsche" :thumb:

My ideal would be to have the existing H&P unit removed but for the replacement to utilise the existing connections so no more cuts need to be made to the wiring.

I liked the removable steering wheel in the Caterham that I hired. Now there's a thought!

My car has the factory stock fitment 1995, thing is i only have one dabber so i might have no choice than to remove the system if possible, if that little baby goes missing i'm snookered!!

tim993 said:
Mines the original 1995 H&P installation from when the car was new - not sure that it counts as after-market as such.

I think I would call that aftermarket, in that the loom was cut in order to by-pass the two relevant circuits required by Thatcham 1 through the H&P box of tricks, rather than factory fitted with (hopefully ) no cut loom.

My H&P must have caused trouble many moons ago, as it was replaced by the (rubbish) Italian system currently installed.

Sadly, having owned three Alfa's a couple of Lancias, a few Ducatis, my faith in Italian electrics is somewhat less than Comrade Lenin's in Christianity.

:bandit:

Binned the H&P 1000 ages ago, fobs fell apart and the box shorted after water ingress. Fitted a Frog/Toad immobiliser well away from the floor.
I had a collection of electrical spares under my seat on the Ducati, the Marinelli relays were very unreliable.

I had a chat with Hamilton & Palmer this morning. They no longer make alarm/ immobiliser kit, but they do sell replacement dongles and receptacles as they believe these are the parts that wear out over time, for £52 and £50 respectively.

If you need a new dongle, they'll need your 5 digit code (printed on the unit or on a separate card).

llugguss said:
Never faced such a problem. For me, it has the exact opposite meaning!

That's a random first post. :?

I do hope that you're not going to come on later and edit in some spurious link.

:admin:

I would replace or remove a 20+ yeat old immobiliser. they make little diff to premiums anyway these days.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back