Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Investment cars..... 997.2 Turbo Cabriolet??

v8fettler

Silverstone
I've seen a few comments on various threads, but thought I'd start a separate convo for this specific question.

Do Cabriolet/Convertibles hold their value as much as the Coupes?

Ive read plenty of times that purist drivers prefer coupes for rigidity, but when we're talking about a road going super car, does it matter? Not so much from a driving point of view, but future value?

BTW, I will still be driving it! It won't be trailered or any of that nonsense!

Thanks!

With regards to the 997 turbo, coupes will always command a premium over cabriolet.

Same with M3s even though I do own an M3 cab.

Nearly bought a manual 997.1 turbo cab as it was 1 owner from new with 20k miles for only £49k

The other disadvantage with the 997 cab is the rear seats are useless due to the seatback facing forward due to the folding roof, so it becomes a 2 seater.

v8fettler said:
I've seen a few comments on various threads, but thought I'd start a separate convo for this specific question.

Do Cabriolet/Convertibles hold their value as much as the Coupes?

Ive read plenty of times that purist drivers prefer coupes for rigidity, but when we're talking about a road going super car, does it matter? Not so much from a driving point of view, but future value?

BTW, I will still be driving it! It won't be trailered or any of that nonsense!

Thanks!

No.

When advertised they tend to hang about longer than Jimmy Saville did outside local youth clubs....so no.

Most people who can afford turbos are old and don't have much hair so the last thing they want is the roof down ?

Before i get lynched - i'm just jealous :D

As an investment , no, buy a coupe and just don`t drive it :sad:

I'm assuming you answered my first question Boba Fett?

As much as I love the look of one that's on eBay right now, I have to admit I've seen it before, from the same dealer, so it's either his own car he keeps trying to shift, or he got it back at some point. Compared to some OPC cars (which are usually a few £ up), it's too high I reckon.

I'm already stretching myself, and hoping values don't move too much, so I'll prob wait for a coupe. I'm also yet to see a 911 cab driver not get 'W@nker' shouted at him anywhere near a populated place, ever mind the numerous trips I'll be doing through town.

:thumbs:

seeforez said:
Most people who can afford turbos are old and don't have much hair so the last thing they want is the roof down ?

Before i get lynched - i'm just jealous :D
I've loads of hair! But it is all grey :floor:

Cabs are better for baldies than having full syrups cos you don't get your nugget whipped off all the hair.

v8fettler said:
I'm assuming you answered my first question Boba Fett?

I'm also yet to see a 911 cab driver not get 'W@nker' shouted at him anywhere near a populated place, ever mind the numerous trips I'll be doing through town.

:thumbs:

Personally I can't stand that kind of attitude, so normally shout that at all 911 drivers. :thumb:

v8fettler said:
I'm also yet to see a 911 cab driver not get 'W@nker' shouted at him anywhere near a populated place.

:floor:

That's a first I've ever heard. Where are these 'populated' places. I'll take note to never go there.

Twice now in Leeds, not the same guy, but both times they had the roof down and someone hurled abuse. I've even seen a full kebab get lobbed into an M3 convertible, when his wife stalled it at the lights, they all cheered! As she drove off hubby gave them the coffee beans, so kebab got lobbed in!
The last one was probably deserved, reckless behaviour around drunks, but the Porsche drivers had done nothing to deserve it.

The last one was probably deserved, reckless behaviour around drunks, but the Porsche drivers had done nothing to deserve it.[/quote]

I disagree......driving a convertible is a heinous crime in itself. :grin:

I've had 3 cabs (over 9 years) and never once had abuse off anyone yet. Must be a city thing with all the lefties there.

4 years of using my last 3 911s in leafy suburbs as well as London without abuse, just the odd bit of banter from van drivers.

Can't see what political alignment has to do with it :dont know:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back