Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo Vs 996 Turbo, what do we really think...!!

Boba fett

Magny-Cours
Guys I have had most of the Turbos's except the 991 (not fallen for that yet) but more importantly there is plenty of threads comparing a 997 Turbo with a 996 Turbo.

After owning a 996 Turbo for 8 years and now a 997, for me there is no comparison. I have read threads of all sorts - Some do say its an evolution not a revolution, but for me the looks are so different and the 997 looks so up to date and modern in comparison and I have not even mentioned the interior yet !!

Before you you put the Popcorn emoticon up, I would like to know your thoughts !! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

For me I like the 997, that's why I have one. But to be honest they are both epic cars and it's a good feeling owning either to be honest.

On this sub-forum you might get a slightly biased response. :grin:

They are both great cars. I've had both and still prefer the looks of the 996 from some angles but couldn't see myself going back - even if to do so would give me some cash back.

The fact that it wouldn't, as my old car would now be a straight swap, just seems ..................... strange.

T8 said:
On this sub-forum you might get a slightly biased response. :grin:

They are both great cars. I've had both and still prefer the looks of the 996 from some angles but couldn't see myself going back - even if to do so would give me some cash back.

The fact that it wouldn't, as my old car would now be a straight swap, just seems ..................... strange.

I could always post this on the 996 forum as well.... :?:

The 997 has grown on me I will grant you. Well, the 997.2 to be specific once they'd sorted the rear end out a bit.

The trouble with them both is that they are effectively the same car which is why its such a hard choice to make in changing - particularly if you've got a well sorted 996. The 997 is essentially an extensively facelifted 996. Shares much of the same running gear and many other common components. Major changes were in styling, wheel well dimensions and the mondeo interior which left it another generation away from its true character.

I may yet end up with a 997 turbo eventually, but it would definitely be a 997.2 with PDK, and it would be with very few miles on it as it would now be a 2nd/3rd car. Its more likely that when i am ready to change it will be for a 991 turbo because that is definitely a different car to the 996/7.

PS: I think i've done well there - no slagging off and a balanced viewpoint! Proud of myself :D

Love the look of all 911 turbos except the 996 due to its ugly front end.

The 996 turbo was a bargain when prices were £20k-£35K, however enyone paying £50k need to take a trip down to Specsaver :D

Given the section you've posted in I'm pretty sure opinions will always favour the 997. I've always heard the 996 is more raw driving experience and if it had round headlights I'm sure it would have had loads more fans.... but maybe it is a good thing that it's different I don't know.

That said, I really like the 997, interior is a good step forward even by today's STD's, it's not too big and will always look like a Porsche so it will age well :)

I liked my 996 turbo to drive but it made me ill to look at the front end and I never ever photographed the front end as I though it looked daft and gawping!
The 997 has a truly beautiful front end with styling cues that nod to the past whilst displaying the future.. A very successful face lift I must say.
The 997 is the best incarnation of 911 without doubt.

kas750 said:
I liked my 996 turbo to drive but it made me ill to look at the front end and I never ever photographed the front end as I though it looked daft and gawping!
The 997 has a truly beautiful front end with styling cues that nod to the past whilst displaying the future.. A very successful face lift I must say.
The 997 is the best incarnation of 911 without doubt.

Agree, I think the 997 will go down as one of the greats, especially teamed with the last of a special engine as well.

I still remember the old T.V add for the 996 which seemed so far out of reach back then.

apollokre1d said:
I still remember the old T.V add for the 996 which seemed so far out of reach back then.

Thats a nice feel good vid!!

Any 997 turbo ones, before I go out and buy a Boxster?

Oh the 996 front end....bloody awful. A friend had a silver 996 turbo , Even after I bought my car he said he preferred the 996 front end!!! Clearly he new it looked gash.
But they are all great cars for their period in time. Things just move on......for the better I might add 😉

Lovin' the videos - not sure I have seen the 997 ones but do seem t recall the earlier one.

996 wise, I have only ever driven a Carrera 2 and it was a huge step forward from my own 3.2 Carrera Targa Sport. It felt wonderful bobbing down the road but I immediately disliked the dash/console layout - especially the panel that holds the air vents. I remember liking the overall body style but the front lights were never going to wi me over.

997T for me......even if the driving experience has been somewhat sanitised?

Having spent over a year now with my 997, it has become possibly my favourite 911 shape (930/965 excepted). I know that I haven't in anyway answered the question but I could never see myself swapping the 997 for a 996 even with a rake of cash my way.

In all honesty , it must be the 997....as a package it's an altogether better looking bodywork.
As most have previously said , the front end of the 996 is not a pretty sight is it ? Ok, there will always be those who love it ( it's got a face only a mother could love!)

For me the 997 just got it right , although I always feel a better interior could have been had and a lot more sound deadening should have been standard....

That's got to be my next 'upgrade'...

Terry

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back