Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wayne at Chipwizards

SecondWind

Trainee
I just wanted to sing the praises of Wayne at Chipwizards. I spent a day with him in early December and the results are frankly astonishing.

Although the power is up to slightly above the new level of 285bhp (not bad for a car on nearly 200k miles), most noticeable is acceleration and tractability in London's stop-start traffic. The car is transformed - no more juddering along when I slow to a crawl - just a very smooth and linear delivery. Wow.

He;'s a very low key guy who really cares about what he does.

The long, wet trip from London was very much worthwhile!

Cheers, SecondWind

I've known and used Wayne for a few years now and absolutely agree. Not just on the air-cooled stuff, but on almost any engine he is a genius.

I've been there when other tuners have been coming in giving him their tuning to assess and mark - like a university tutor.

A lovely bloke and a hidden gem :thumb:

A visit to the maestro has been on the cards for my motor for ages. It's when folks sing his praises like this that it reminds me to get it sorted!

I initially enquiried locally to four 'tuning' shops who were only interested in sticking a chip in. They literally had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned a rolling road live remap. Worrying indeed..

Couldn't agree more. Wayne is a genius, spent the best part of a day sorting mine which included borrowing an ignition coil pack from a neighbouring car, doing the remap and then pursuaded Colin Belton at 9M to stay behind after hours to fit a new coil pack. This was last summer and between Wayne and Colin's hard work, cooperation and general bending over backwards i left with a far quicker car and a warm glow of admiration. Wasn't expensive either. :thumbs:

For a 993 it was c£350 for a 2WD and £400 for a 4WD ie he disconnects the 4WD system first which adds a bit of time.

That was a couple of years ago. It is the best part of a days work on the live remap, the process is :

- swap out OEM chip from ECU under passenger seat
- fit a new chip with a base map he has written
- many runs on the dyno to fine tune the map to your car
- refit OEM chip and take benchmark measurements (ie when engine warm to do a direct comparison with next stage)
- refit bespoke chip and map
- take measurements for comparison to OEM settings

Job Done, and the beauty is you can refit the OEM chip at any time if you wish

As part of the process he can tell straight away if your car is running correctly. Often they are not eg varioram vacuum problems. He gets these working (often by borrowing parts from 9M) to complete the process.

All that knowledge and time for a few hundred quid, you don't get better value than that.

Bonus are that he uses the 9M dyno which is rear engine specific for cooling and you get to spend your time being nosey at a high end Porsche Indy workshop (they where stripping a Cat B 993 Turbo S when I was there)

Its not about extra power, yes you get some of that, its about drive ability, oh and the character of the exhaust note.....mmmm..... the burbles......mmmmm

You would need to speak to him about remaps for other 911 versions.

Write up of my day there here...
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82158&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=319

And exhaust comparison here.....
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82158&start=558

jonttt said:

Sadly one can only do this chip swap with M64.07/08 engine with DME Motronic 2.10.1 and not on engine M64.23/24 with DME Motronic 5.2 (Varioram models) as the chip is soldered into the board.

Wayne can still perform his magic though . . . :thumb:

HPNer said:
jonttt said:

Sadly one can only do this chip swap with M64.07/08 engine with DME Motronic 2.10.1 and not on engine M64.23/24 with DME Motronic 5.2 (Varioram models) as the chip is soldered into the board.

I don't think that is correct, mine is a varioram, no solder was involved and I have the original chip which is just plug and play :judge:

I physically watched Wayne do this and was asking him questions the whole way through (I am very nosey).

The first chip swap is for a rewritable RAM type so he can play around with the settings on the fly on the dyno based on a pre written base map for your type of car which he loaded on first from his laptop. When he is happy with the bespoke map for your car he pulls out the chip from the DME and simlpy plugs back in the OEM chip. He runs the car with the OEM map to get benchmark figures. Meanwhile he writes the bespoke map to a another chip which he then swaps for the OEM one to run benchmarks with the bespoke maps. He does it that way so the OEM and remap benchmarks are under exactly the same conditions. Many remappers compare the remap against a cold OEM map from a run under different temps to make the benchmark look more favourable.

I have the OEM chip and its a standard c8 pin type (can't remember the exact number of pins but the type I was used to playing with building computers back in the 90's) No solder needed at all :wink:

Well, I may have to stand corrected Jonttt . . .

Page 178 of Adrian Streather's bible states that:

"Bosch M5.2 system underwent its own evoution. The first DME's were released in model year 1996 were fitted with two microprocessor PLL OTP (one time program) chips. These chips were soldered into place instead of the plug in and out EPROM chips. For models 97 to 98 the OTP chips system was replaced with a flash reprogrammable chip. The chip is soldered into place making replacement difficult.
When a re-progammable chip is desoldered and replaced with a non-standard chip the DME will detect the change and will revert to factory presets."

Now it may be that AS is talking about the M5.2 system that was specifically placed in the US market 993s, as these (I think) had an immobiliser circuit built into the DME

I did think that M5.2's chip was soldered in . . . but if your's plugged in and out, than it looks like I am mistaken . . .

:thumb:

Researched this a bit further, and its seems that the M2.10 series of DME was available for all years of 993 production with the M5.2 system all seemingly for the USA market . . .
All a bit confusing . . .
:judge:

jonttt said:
I have the OEM chip and its a standard c8 pin type (can't remember the exact number of pins but the type I was used to playing with building computers back in the 90's) No solder needed at all :wink:

Yeah I'm also nosey and a background in programming/IT so it's hogs heaven watching wayne and seeing what's done to achieve the remap. Mines a 1996 varioram and the chip is just in a pluggable socket.

One impressive thing is him getting rid of the low rev dip in torque (1000rpm) which he explained is due to a bit of standing wave effect in the air intake which causes the fuel injection to think there's more air coming in than there really is and it ends up making it too rich in the standard map.

Before and after on mine here. ...well worth it. ..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48194258/n408tlj_dyno_colour_highlight.jpeg

Brilliant guy, brilliant workmanship!!

Got mine from 241bhp to 291bhp with phenomenal power delivery.

Mine had a vacuum leak to start with and was 20bhp or so down so. the live map made more difference than ever, left with 304bhp according to that dyno and the drive home was ace :)

jonttt said:
HPNer said:
jonttt said:

I don't think that is correct, mine is a varioram, no solder was involved and I have the original chip which is just plug and play :judge:

I physically watched Wayne do this and was asking him questions the whole way through (I am very nosey).

The first chip swap is for a rewritable RAM type so he can play around with the settings on the fly on the dyno based on a pre written base map for your type of car which he loaded on first from his laptop. When he is happy with the bespoke map for your car he pulls out the chip from the DME and simlpy plugs back in the OEM chip. He runs the car with the OEM map to get benchmark figures. Meanwhile he writes the bespoke map to a another chip which he then swaps for the OEM one to run benchmarks with the bespoke maps. He does it that way so the OEM and remap benchmarks are under exactly the same conditions. Many remappers compare the remap against a cold OEM map from a run under different temps to make the benchmark look more favourable.

+1 (that's my DME below)

dme_119.jpg

Bottom of page 5:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=756682

In fact if someone with a VR wants to try it, I'm selling my old AccellRacing chip.

PM if interested

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back