Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SSK - which one

resigner

Barcelona
Yes, I know, prob been done before, but wanted up to date info!

So, can anyone who has used a non OPC SSK kit let me know which one they've used, how much and if they have had any problems?

Although I would love to justify an OPC one, I can't really see that it makes sense if people are using the "chinese" ones without a problem.

thanks all

I've had a Chinese one off eBay for £40 fitted for 12 months now. One word - AWESOME!!!!!!!!

alex yates said:
I've had a Chinese one off eBay for £40 fitted for 12 months now. One word - AWESOME!!!!!!!!

+1 :thumb: Best value mod to date, at £40 you can't go wrong!

DucatiRob said:
alex yates said:

+1 :thumb: Best value mod to date, at £40 you can't go wrong!

You have a link handy?

cheers

Are they easy enough to fit?

Looks ok for the money.

Alfaian said:
Are they easy enough to fit?

Looks ok for the money.

Yes, the fitting is relatively straightforward, although it will take 2 - 3 hours as you need to remove the complete centre console and the shifter assembly but there are good guides you can follow.

The B&M instructions are ok, PDF on this page:

http://www.bmracing.com/products/45135-manual-short-shifter-precision-shifter-porsche-996-and-997/

Pelican parts have good guides too, this one shows mostly 996 pics but petty similar.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...Kit/42-TRANS-Installing_a_Short_Shift_Kit.htm

The only tricky part is fitting the new aluminium bush housings into the shifter cage, they take some forcing into place.

Yes that's the one. I have the installation guide if anyone needs it. Bit of a fidly job. Hard bit is removing the centre console that runs from gearstick to central glovebox. Bonus is when you remove that, there'll be £10 - £20 in change under it.

Before you do anything (like buy one), pull your gaitor up to make sure you don't already have one installed. Just pull the outer edge of it directly upwards at the centre back bit (4th gear position). It just clips back down once you have a nosey.

And when you buy one itll probs be set to lhd. Remove the bolt from the middle, turn the leaver 180 deg the back together. Unless your car's a left hooker!

Another vote for the ebay ssk. I fitted one to mine last year and cant fault it.

Thanks rob and alex for very informative replies.

Sorry for hijacking thread but I'm going to buy one of these as they sound a cheap but great mod.

It definitely doesn't feel like I've got an ssk on mine, there's a fairly long way between the gears although it's very crisp with no problems, plus my mate owns a garage and he owes me a favour :thumb:

Edit- purchased so delivery is next Thursday, fitting next weekend hopefully :grin:

Alfaian said:
It definitely doesn't feel like I've got an ssk on mine, there's a fairly long way between the gears although it's very crisp with no problems, plus my mate owns a garage and he owes me a favour :thumb:

You`ll notice a massive difference with the ssk. Hardly any movement at all afterwards to change gear.

rabbitstew said:
Alfaian said:

You`ll notice a massive difference with the ssk. Hardly any movement at all afterwards to change gear.

Cheers, just edited my last post. I've ordered it so looking forward to getting it installed although not looking forward to doing it. Mind you, these things look and sound more complicated than they actually are. I hope.

resigner said:
Are the various chinese SSK's on ebay the same by any chance?

I've ordered the one that you put a link to. What's not to like at that price.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a1jgh
Back