Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT4.3 mod and restoration diary

GT4

Nordschleife
Just dropping this here, mainly as aide memoir to me:

1) Stripped peeling silver foil "Carrera" badge on driver's door sill cover (and other side to match, removing glue residues etc) - leaving simple black "Carrera" emboss to sill cover

2) Blocked HHR neck with plastic cap and reattached "Y" spur with Jubilee clip to hold in place (cleaned air box and investigated the HHR itself, which due to being bonded in and smaller, more aerodynamic shape vs 996 HHR, decided to leave in place).

3) IPA cleaned MAF

Pics to follow

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Gen I or II? And it best have a stick to twirl ;)

Still keeping to the "<£5/<1hr" rule:

4) The infamous side bolster:seatbelt wear: sorted

£2.59 of Dasco Renovating cream

... just need to do the rest of the seats now!

Dasco-renovating-shoe-cream-dark-grey-leather-bag.jpg

(Sorry, no before as I didn't think it would really take!)

Might do a second coat when I do the rest of the seats

EDITED: to add Dasco tube photo

Attachments

• img_7187_555.jpg
    img_7187_555.jpg
    772.6 KB · Views: 10,557
GT4 said:

3) IPA cleaned MAF

Pics to follow

:eek: I did that once on a BMW S54 MAF, was very chuffed with myself. Of course the car ran no different after :roll: until the week after when on a Yorkshire club run. It got me 100 miles but after a petrol stop would not restart. The embarrassment of having 20+ BMW laughing at me whilst they continued the run and I waited for the AA :oops: The problem was of course a faulty MAF :frustrated: When disconnected the car started and ran fine on a default mapping. I did a fast road run after that (to catch the others up) without the MAF :grin:

£250 later that week the moral of the story was ................

Its a long time since I poked anything in a hole :grin:

Of course time is relative :wink:

According to Lorentz (who was not a success with the ladies), so is length :dont know:

OK, first mod fail and also a breach of my £5 rule!

I have a nice new BOSE door stop now.

Just a note on the very earliest cars (MY2004/2005)

Check your BOSE amp is compatible with firmware update, else either you can't upgrade or if you do you lose the amp - ie ALL audio!

My early 997.645.333.04 (and apparently also 997.645.333.05) BOSE amp is not compatible with the 2009 firmware and hence 2016 Nav maps.

Fortunately, it only takes 30 secs to check:

1) Open frunk
2) Release carpeted tool-kit door with turny clips
3) Prize off gun-metal slider clamp on left side of BOSE amp
4) Slide BOSE amp left (out of fixed guides/clamps on the right)
5) Turn BOSE amp 180 degrees and read the PN on the big sticker on the rear

If you have old BOSE amp and still want this upgrade, only solution to early amp is a new (erm, newer used!) amp

Porsche TSB quaintly describes upgrade path for early models as requiring "spare parts": YES! a whole new BOSE amp :frustrated:

Luckily, I won't be paying Porsche the £650 plus for a new amp, but got one off eBay for £129 delivered.

So Nav update mod will be delayed a few days ...

(on the upside, the BOSE amps are 30 secs plug and play)

In the meantime, here is sill mod:

(I may spend another five mins with the Cif cream to really get the finish uniform)

... and yes, that's dirt on the floor mats!

Attachments

• img_7197_984.jpg
    img_7197_984.jpg
    697.9 KB · Views: 10,386
Are they crumbs on your mat? You've been eating your T in the car again haven't you!

GT4 said:
Oof, I am sat in an Hotel room eating peanut treats and I could murder that BB right now!!

GT4 said:

:food: :food: :food: :food: :food: :food: :food: :food:

KFP!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back