Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM not working - keeps rebooting

RedJedi

Suzuka
No nav, no sound and doesn't tune into any radio etc....

And its all in german.

Switches off by itself, reboots, then switches off again.

Luckily under OPC warranty so will give them a call tomorrow...

Annoying, but I'm sure if it gets replaced, its approx £2k worth?

Anyone else had this?

Sounds like it's done a factory reset if it's in German. But if it's constantly rebooting then possible firmware issues. Most likely a failure of some sort inside to cause this behaviour.

From experience of bricking mine, fixing it, and then fixing another lads that had exactly the same symptoms.. i'd say the bootloader on the internal HDD is screwed.

Its fixable with a firmware update once its booted into emergency rescue mode.

If your OPC have a clue about these units then they could fix it by pulling out the cd packs they must have hidden in their drawers, in reality they will likely be baffled and order you a replacement unit instead. :)

Not sure how to do a firmware update without any kit?

Taking it to OPC tomorrow - got me a Macan for the day.

Speaking to their Service advisor - these PCM units cause them a lot of headaches as they need fault codes etc to relay back to porsche in order to claim for warranty - and they've got new diagnostic equipment which isn't helping.

Lets see what happens tomorrow - but glad that I have a warranty as I was considering opting out this time last year.

Had this very same problem, OPC fixed it a couple of weeks ago with a firmware update and, touchwood, its been fine since

HG

New PCM needed...

Cost would be £1700 plus labour. So around £2k.

Even the service engineer said that it could be repaired but this is part of OPC warranty service.

Had a 718 to swan around in for a couple of days too.

Result :thumb:

What did you think of the 718?

Got new PCM fitted last week.

Bluetooth not working.

Also FM only goes up in even numbers e.g. 99.1, 99.3, 99.5,,,,

So can't get e.g. 105.4fm

And AM goes up in 10's so can't get radio 5 or talksport...

Back in today and they now are talking to Porsche UK Techies to get it fixed as they can't solve either....

All under warranty, but what a headache.

Only got a merc saloon today - can't stand it. They have made it so boring...

:x

As far as the tuner is concerned, I think that could be a dodgy county setting. E.g. US rather than UK. No idea on the lack of BT, unless they ordered wrongly.
GL getting it sorted.

jonno_ said:
As far as the tuner is concerned, I think that could be a dodgy county setting. E.g. US rather than UK.

^^^^ Agree ^^^^

Blue tooth could be one of many things - maybe they haven't coded it on...

As you say, not your problem though - let them sort it! :thumbs:

Theres lots of software to install on a new unit and also enableing codes to get things working .. trust me its a ball ache and takes ages which is not good if your on bonus.

As mentioned country setting for one and i suspect an enableing code for another are the faults .

Thanks peeps - lets see what the wizards at porsche conjure up!

Had similar when we had a 997.2. Unit replaced, and then it went and did it again about 3 months later. Second time some of the features were missing so it had to go back in to be re coded. Gather swopping the unit is easy its loading all the discs that takes hours. Second time it failed screen was blank (black) but you could hear it clicking, and it didn't stop even when switched off, so it flattened the battery. Tech also said it was very hot when he took it out!

I was also told by the OPC that the replacement units were refurbs. Not visually obvious.

All sorted now....

Head technician was back today, and apparently sorted it all in 30 mins...

2 techs worked on it last 2 days for around 2 hours each, and also had porsche techs on phone to no avail....

Head tech rocks up today back from his hol, and all sorted....

Kind of surprised that they told me thats how it went - bit embarrassing if you ask me....

But all good now!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back