Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Onto my second 997..

Graemep

Nurburgring
So after nearly four years, 27000 miles, and a lot of memories (nearly all good), I parted company with my Gen 1.5 Turbo. Other than the usual battery issues, it had been faultless:

DSC_0894_zpsgjnqco9a.jpg

DSC_0896_zpsoyyd62q0.jpg

Having put down a deposit just before Xmas, the time came to jump on a train to Tonbridge to collect this - a 2012 Turbo S, carbon interior with 20600 miles..

DSC_0920_zpssnpjytre.jpg

DSC_0922_zpsdvgmz81t.jpg

DSC03977_zpsyfgh3ugw.jpg

DSC03983_zpsuxnunvc0.jpg

DSC03987_zpswfusimyf.jpg

Looking forward to giving it a good run sometime soon, as the drive home was a trip round the M25 in dark, rainy conditions with the car on very new Cup 2 tyres so was taking it very easy in the conditions..

So far the cabin feels a very different place to be, given the novelty of adaptive seats and carbon pack, and the PDK feels like a natural upgrade from the Tiptronic..

:thumbs: :congrats:

Looking forward to hearing more from you about how it compares to your previous car.

Very nice. Unusual move, I'm not criticising just saying. How does it feel different inside, not much in there can be different.

Wow, very special car, congratulations, as said, will be fascinating to know how it compares to your 7.1.5 :thumb:

Graemep said:
So after nearly four years, 27000 miles, and a lot of memories (nearly all good), I parted company with my Gen 1.5 Turbo. Other than the usual battery issues, it had been faultless:

DSC_0894_zpsgjnqco9a.jpg

DSC_0896_zpsoyyd62q0.jpg

Having put down a deposit just before Xmas, the time came to jump on a train to Tonbridge to collect this - a 2012 Turbo S, carbon interior with 20600 miles..

DSC_0920_zpssnpjytre.jpg

DSC_0922_zpsdvgmz81t.jpg

DSC03977_zpsyfgh3ugw.jpg

DSC03983_zpsuxnunvc0.jpg

DSC03987_zpswfusimyf.jpg

Looking forward to giving it a good run sometime soon, as the drive home was a trip round the M25 in dark, rainy conditions with the car on very new Cup 2 tyres so was taking it very easy in the conditions..

So far the cabin feels a very different place to be, given the novelty of adaptive seats and carbon pack, and the PDK feels like a natural upgrade from the Tiptronic..

Gorgeous! Enjoy! Stunning car.

Thanks for the positive comments :thumbs:

isysman said:
Very nice. Unusual move, I'm not criticising just saying. How does it feel different inside, not much in there can be different.

Fair questions TBH.. There is a bit of a backstory to the move, but a Turbo S was next on my list - I'd driven a PDK 991C2 a while back, loved the PDK box, but ultimately it felt a good way to stay with a 997 for now. I suspect the 991 Turbos still have a bit of depreciation left in them as well..

It just feels very much a case of being different enough to my last car if that makes sense, but see what you mean - I discounted the white turbo that's still for sale at Brooklands as soon as I sat in it, as the interior felt no different to what I was used to as (like my 1.5) it had standard seats and centre console.

The difference might be part novelty value, but the carbon and adaptive seats seem to make a difference in their own right, as do the Gen 2 steering wheel and gear shift. I can see now why some people have retrofitted the wheel into the Gen 1.

Looking forward to the first Euro trip with it, and Dinslaken is looking a possibility..

I WANT ONE :worship: :worship: :worship: ONE DAY

How do you find the PDK over tip?

Cheers Tim

Finally had the opportunity to take the car for a blast on some of my favourite stretches of road on Friday morning - woke up early, checked out of the hotel and headed up the A470 from Cardiff to the Beacons, taking the long route to where I was working.

Evo did a review of the new Merc GT R in this month's edition, on first stretch of road I headed for, the A4059 which makes one side of a triangle between the A470 and the A465 - it really is an awesome stretch of road, open with a good mix of fast bends, some tight twisty bits, and very little traffic . Ended up just letting the PDK do it's best in sports mode most of the time, and it seemed pretty intuitive in contrast to the Tip which still needed a bit of work - the trip down to Penderyn, turning round at distillery, really let me know what the car was capable of - even the PCCB's, as the occasion sheep strayed out on the road :lol:

DSC04080_zps4kebw1yr.jpg

DSC04083_zps8ioctvwk.jpg

DSC04081_zpsxtii6r11.jpg

Going west when I reached Brecon wasn't an option, so from the A40, the next stretch I aimed for was the B4560 form Llangynidr towards Ebbw Vale, which is similar to the Black Mountain road, with some tight hairpins before opening up for the stretch towards the A465. The grip coming of the hairpins was noticeable, I am assuming part due to the Cup 2 tyre, but also PTV - this only time I felt any slip had been earlier, putting the power down early coming off a roundabout at speed..

The trip back to London, was my alternative to heading for the M4, instead going Usk to Chepstow (B4235), and onto the old Severn Bridge. I've taken a range of cars down there, and my 997.1 actually felt too fast for the road, compared to the 991C2 that had convinced me that PDK was the way to go - driven in manual, the Turbo S surprised me, being closer to how the 991 felt, and as much fun on that particular piece of road.

I had taken the S3 on my last few work trips, but considering I'd only put about 1k on the Turbo S since January putting the miles on was worth it..

997.2 Turbo S :worship: :worship: :grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back