Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 993/964 Tiptronic Aluminium Gear lever centre button

P996

Hi All,
Been a member for a while having previously owed a 996.2, but always regretted the purchase because I always wanted a 993. Eventually the opportunity came about and I purchased a 993 which I love.
There are however a few items that I wanted to change (personalise) and one of those was the gear lever centre button. I have seen in some of the Porsche 993 C2S/C4S, an Aluminium button with a Porsche badge. I enquired about getting one, only to be told that they have been discontinued. I searched using alternative suppliers and managed to purchase an aftermarket version from a well-known company that sells Porsche parts, however when it arrived, it wasn't very good. The badge was a copy and when screwed on to the gear lever, the badge did not sit central. The badge was also too small for the space – (being a perfectionist, this was not good enough).
Being disappointed, I decided to see if I could get one made. I managed to contact several companies and have now managed to get one made which I am almost happy with and thought I would share it with you guys:

Before: Standard plastic one
0fa8144756.jpg

Supplied original:
0fb45f0fd9.jpg

My version:
0fb7706fcb.jpg

(Admin – I hope this is ok, but please let me know if you want me to remove this bit).

Having been through the sourcing and manufacturing, I then thought that other members may want one, so I am happy to get more made, but before I can, I need to check the fitment on another Porsche 993 to make sure it fits correctly (and there is not something unique about my Porsche 993).
Are there any members near Leicester that would be willing to meet up for a coffee and allow me to check the fitment of the aluminium button?

For my information, if I was to supplies these, would you be interested in one? The price for mine was quite high, but with a bigger qty, I am sure it would be reduced.

Thanks in advance

I'm in Coventry if you can't find anyone more local to yourself. Your welcome to call in for a coffee and try your alloy shifter buttons. My car already has an alloy pack fitted including the door release levers, pull buttons and instrument bezels. I think it really lifts the all black interior.
Martin

First things I did when I got my 993 were alloy bezel rings, door handles and shifter knob. Definitely lifts an all black interior.

I ordered a plain alloy shifter knob but the one that came had a crest like yours. Not blown away by it but it's still there.

Could you do a side by side close up of the two so we can see the difference?

@ mashby - Thanks for the offer, I will PM you to arrange a suitable time to meet.
I agree that it does help lift the interior. Thanks,

@ gunner - I will try and get a side by side comparison to show you the difference. The main problem was that I didn't like how the badge was not genuine and did not sit central when screwed on to the gear lever. I could have made it fit, but I am a bit of a perfectionist and so wanted it to be right (I would have gone OEM if they still sold them). I am just in the process of making a further final amendment, so I will try and get this captured too in the pictures.

Thanks for the positive comments to all including those who have PM'd me.

I've always thought a solid alu knob (as can be put on the manual) would be quite cool, pressing the whole thing down rather than a button to allow shifting through the box. Make one of them and I'll have one.

:D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back