Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gear shift cable snapped ???

seeforez

Barcelona
;ost all gears and is stuck in 3 or 4th gear. I can just pull away and managed to drive home.
Upon inspection i cannot see any cables or plastic bits have popped off which i expected and i have also removed centre console and everything looks ok leading me to think it is a snapped cable.
I understand this is a common issue
Question is - should i be checking anything else, i believe it is the drivers side from the centre console cable that is affected which is on top of the gearbox and hard to access
Also you can manually change the gear towards the car from underneath one way and it will then change back once but then go all floppy again
Planning to take to the garage asap as access isnt great when jacked up also do i need to swap both cables and how big a job is it ?

Sorry young man i logged early last might .. real life etc :)

Cable replacement is about 3 hours .

You change both as thats how they come .

The cable snaps inside so unless you remove the end and pull it you wont see whats wrong.

You have proved it by manually selecting gears at the gearbox but to be honest its always cables.

super thanks demort glad i havent missed anything
borrowing a trailer on wednesday so should be able to get it sorted then

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back