Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking at a 997 whats your thoughts?

pcbung

Trainee
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a 997, I've found one I really like on autotrader, it's the right colour and spec, abit higher on the milage than Id like.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612130568316

It's had an engine rebuild by Cath Burrows and I'm waiting to hear back on condition of the brakes/pads, tyre treads and a couple of advisories it had back in November 2016.

What's your thoughts? And what price would you be offering?

I don't know who Cath Burrows is so can't offer an opinion on the engine rebuild. However, this is a lot of car for the money even though it's on 91k miles. I'm told on the forum that C4S models are holding well in terms of residuals so hopefully most of the depreciation is done on this car. The interior appears very well looked after and is testament to the durability of the 997. It has a few worthwhile optional extras especially the PSE and nav. If mileage is not putting you off, I would go test drive and see what you think. Good luck and happy hunting!

~ Maxie :thumbs:

The car is over 3 hours away from where I live so a 6-7 hour round trip depending on traffic. If I was to view it I'd be wanting to drive it back with me to save a return trip.

its a nice looking car, but then they all are!

Get your own PPI check completed, inc bore scope, then make a decision based on the report. A lot can happen in a year.

As above, get it PPI'd and if it's as described, drive it away. The £300 you invest in an inspection could save you thousands. Best of luck.

Personally, the miles are too high at that price for me and I would only buy from a reputable dealer.

Alfaian said:
Personally, the miles are too high at that price for me and I would only buy from a reputable dealer.
I agree! I traded my 07 4S in august and got £25800 against a turbo but it only had 52000 on the clock. I'm sure the indi is based chesterfield way and is reputable, I would think she might have subbed out the rebuild. She famous so I'm told for knocking Bradley wiggins off his bike or something😂
Where is the seller?

Cath Burrows is based in Wigan, I know someone who took their 996t there and said they were very good.

I'd probably swerve it if you're already a bit reserved over the mileage and hold out for a lower mileage example.

It looks good in those photos but beware of how a well polished car can blind you to the fact that it is a 2006 car with high (for a 997) mileage car and a rebuilt engine.

The trade and any future buyer may value it at well less than this dealer does.

Maxie said:
I don't know who Cath Burrows is so can't offer an opinion on the engine rebuild. However, this is a lot of car for the money even though it's on 91k miles. I'm told on the forum that C4S models are holding well in terms of residuals so hopefully most of the depreciation is done on this car. The interior appears very well looked after and is testament to the durability of the 997. It has a few worthwhile optional extras especially the PSE and nav. If mileage is not putting you off, I would go test drive and see what you think. Good luck and happy hunting!

~ Maxie :thumbs:

mad as a bag of frogs independant mechanic in wigan famous for knocking bradley wiggins off his bike......

Few mixed views from accross the board, guy hasnt rang me back yet with answers to questions I had... Sales tactic? Been over 24hours now.

Not much on the market in my price bracket, most i've seen are black or silver which doesn't do anything for me.

pcbung said:
Few mixed views from accross the board, guy hasnt rang me back yet with answers to questions I had... Sales tactic? Been over 24hours now.

Not much on the market in my price bracket, most i've seen are black or silver which doesn't do anything for me.

Hold out, the right one will come! it's exciting looking and if you see anything up my way i'd be happy to take a quick look.

I'd want to know the exact scope of the rebuild - 'full' can mean a number of things it seems...

If the suspension has been refreshed, and if it checks out cosmetically, then it looks like a reasonable price IF the engine rebuild is a good 'un as its potentially trouble free motoring. The mileage sort of becomes irrelevant if you are buying to keep long term.

If you are travelling a long distance, I agree with the above, I'd get an inspection done.

I started at 20k but was looking at C2/C2S' then I noticed a couple of C4S' at ~25k so raised to 25k.

This will be a 3rd car for me as I have my truck for work, a qashqai +2 for shifting the family around, so I didn't want to spend a fortune on one.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back