Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Condensation Woes

nickpan

Trainee
Anybody else struggling with condensation during this cold spell?

On a long drive yesterday evening in the 996.2 C4, the windscreen demisted pretty quickly bar an annoying patch to the bottom right of the screen BUT I had no success with the drivers or passengers window.

The air was blowing very warm though. When the climatronic thing is in demist mode, it only blows ultra hot. Is that right?

Any one have any advice for being able to join (and exit) roundabouts safely without opening the windows and freezing to death?

:thumb:

Nick

A few things to try....

- Drainage holes (google or ask where they are on your car)
- Feel for wet carpets anywhere
- Bottom of the door carpets wet? Seal/membranes in door might be shot
- Is the air-con working properly? Does it run cold without strange noises?
- If it's the same on a 996, the passenger footwell near the console has the AC drainage pipe which can fall off or get blocked, check it!

A silica crystal box can help dry things out, but be careful not to dry the leather!

Do you point your side air vents at the side windows and keep your central ones closed?

Check for wet under the carpets - through a previous owners pi$$ poor ICE install you could have kept Goldfish under the carpet in mine and it was completely unnoticeable on the surface of the carpet!

Del.

It says in the manual that the aircon compressor stops at temperatures below 3C for some reason, so mine often mist up when its really cold.

Both my 4Ss have done it.

Robertb said:
It says in the manual that the aircon compressor stops at temperatures below 3C for some reason, so mine often mist up when its really cold.

Both my 4Ss have done it.

Yep could be that the AC has de-activated the compressor to prevent damage below the low temp cut off which is normal. If you're not runninig default AC on then you'll mist up in certain weather conditions.

If you are you could have water ingress somewhere. Doesn't take much :what:

The return of Marty Wild said:
A few things to try....

- Drainage holes (google or ask where they are on your car)
- Feel for wet carpets anywhere
- Bottom of the door carpets wet? Seal/membranes in door might be shot
- Is the air-con working properly? Does it run cold without strange noises?
- If it's the same on a 996, the passenger footwell near the console has the AC drainage pipe which can fall off or get blocked, check it!

A silica crystal box can help dry things out, but be careful not to dry the leather!

:floor: :thumb:

Thats got my vote :D

I thought the a/c was not below 6 but if the manual says 3 then i stand corrected :)

Cheers Iain! I wonder where my knowledge could have possibly come from?! :)

I know in the R32 it was 3 or 4c when the AC cut out.

I too have condensation issues on my Cab this winter when I've never had them before although this is the first winter I've not been able to put the helmet on......I also have a whacking great boomerang shaped crack in my windscreen from the rear view mirror downwards.... Coincidence? No wet carpets or door cards to report

Thank you very much everybody for your valuable advice.

First things first - going to be lifting up the carpets tomorrow evening to check for damp.

I do worry slightly as I had my Becker replaced with a Pioneer Avic recently and somebody mentioned dodgy ICE installs possibly being a culprit.

:dont know:

@ nickpan , check the bulkhead grommets , mainly the one o/s/f next to the battery .. its a favouite place for radio install boys to use and they never seal it back up .

After a chat with Marty the other night i,m of the opnion that extra condensation now is basically its this time of year ..

I,d also forgotten having this conversation before and always at this time of year .. old age you know .

A lot of cars might have very slight dampness under the carpets where you wouldn,t know unless you removed them .. 2 inches of foam under the carpets .

Its often too cold for the a/c to function and we dont just breath out air lol .. and so we see more condensation from cold .

@ Ursa911 a crack in the screen wont let in water , but its a cab .. its bound to have been damp in the past and i know from experience that you never get all the moisture out of a car after a leak unless a total carpet removal .

Your drains are also inside of the car for the roof .. so added moisture there if it rains .

I suspect yours is as above .. its just cold now ... anyways be thankfull you dont drive a motorbike 22 miles per day .. -6 degrees the other morning , sigh .

That`s what happened to mine various ICE wiring had been put through the bulkhead with a clumsy attempt with silicon sealer to keep the water out but it had the opposite effect and water had been tracking along the wiring straight into the drivers side foot well but you would never know unless you lifted the carpet - it took me ages to dry it out as the foam insulation was absolutely waterlogged although the floor was OK.

Del.

Demort said:
@ Ursa911 a crack in the screen wont let in water , but its a cab .. its bound to have been damp in the past and i know from experience that you never get all the moisture out of a car after a leak unless a total carpet removal .

Your drains are also inside of the car for the roof .. so added moisture there if it rains .

I suspect yours is as above .. its just cold now ... anyways be thankfull you dont drive a motorbike 22 miles per day .. -6 degrees the other morning , sigh .

:thumb: much appreciated

Demort, you Sir, are a legend.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back