Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coil Packs

Samurai

Hi all happy new year, How difficult is it to change the coils packs on a 3.6 tiptronic targa, do i need any special tools? many thanks.

Pretty straightforward. I used a 1/4 drive socket set when I changed mine but I don't think that is necessary really.
It took an hour to change them on my Boxster which has more access problems than an N/A 996.

thanks for that, I have had a engine check light come on the dash as well, will that go out once they have been changed,

You may need to get it cleared.On my early Boxster I disconnected the battery whilst I did the work and the light did not come on afterwards.
If it does come on its not a biggie though as the cheap generic code readers will clear the codes.

Good to hear about the codes, I'm waiting for the TORX sockets to come in at Screwfix on Wednesday and I'll tackle them on the next fine day. Looks like a pretty horrible job without a hoist!

The best buy for 6 Beru Coil Packs I found was £136 at Eurocarparts.

Mike

Sorry, I mean't a 2 or 4 post hoist or a scissor lift/hoist to get underneath, not an engine hoist.

I just did mine. It is easier to access them if you remove the mufflers first, but I think it could be done without, just more acrobatics needed. Mufflers take 5 mins to remove, so long as clamps are not corroded badly.

Unless you are very thin and agile you will need to lift the rear of the car at minimum. Remove rear wheels, and ideally mufflers. Then everything can be done through the wheel wells.

maldren said:
Sorry, I mean't a 2 or 4 post hoist or a scissor lift/hoist to get underneath, not an engine hoist.

Up on a ramp is easier but not strictly necessary.

You'll find torx sockets are unnecessary. An 8mm spanner (ring end) will do the job just as well and won't damage the heads of the bolts.

You can do it all with just jacking up the rear and removing the rear wheels. Removing the mufflers will certainly help but it's by no means essential.
Make sure you listen for the 'click' when disconnecting the electrical connectors. Slide the boots up the wire first.

Reconnecting the electrical connector back onto the rear left coilpack is the hardest part, but be patient and drink plenty of beer while you do it and you'll get it on eventually. Listen for the click as the connectors go back on to be confident they are properly home.

Thanks for the tips - the sockets arrived yesterday but I'm sure I'll use them elsewhere if not here and they were cheap enough.

My coil packs are bolted on with M6 allen cap heads. Is this not the norm? Takes me about 40 mins to ramp up, remove coil packs, fit new, off ramps and pack tools away. Never understood all the fuss about access.

Hi Alex,
the original coils were cap screws, the current packs use Torx head bolts (male not the usual female cap screws) hence the comments about Torx sockets. The bolts are also longer as the coil pack is deeper and the cover has not been redesigned and needs (as Ken at 9E out it) a heavy hammer to reshape it.
I do hope I find it as easy as you did! I started by jacking up the car today but it started raining and my Elan +2 is in parts in the garage!
Mike

Hi Guys,

I think I have a Coil Pack issue! Tried to start the Porker today (been parked up over a week under cover) and I experinced some miss fire issues. Rough idling and cutting out.
I was notified I had a cracked coil pack when I had some work done a few months ago. I assume with the current weather, moisture has set in causing the miss fire.

My question is what brand of coils do you recommend? I will change the plugs while I am at it too.

From this post, I reckon it's worth carrying out the job as a DIY. Does anymone have ramp or garage space? Don't wish to do this on my drive way in the current weather!

Yas

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back