Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tips for cleaning exhaust tips

Albionmuz

Barcelona
The exhaust tips on my newish to me Targa let the car down. ***** I know but I took one off this morning and am struggling to get the grime off. Don't want to use wire wool and know that somebody on here will have some excellent tips I'm sure!

Roy993 said:
Solvo autosol metal polish is perfect for this.

+1 for Autosol and a tube lasts for years.

Roy993 said:
Solvo autosol metal polish is perfect for this.

Yep, Autosol. :thumb:

Thanks, I have been using Autosol and although it helps shift the grime and markings it will take hours of rubbing to get an all over shine. Would soaking in "gunk" overnight help do you think?

Hi,

I got mine polished by a professional polishing company in Kuwait, only cost me £30 the pair but that was in 2010. I'm sure there are companies in the UK that will do the same :dont know:

Mine came up very nice :lol:

ATB :)

Just found these people, no affiliation :

http://www.metal-polishing.co.uk/

Attachments

• exhaust_tip_136.jpg
    exhaust_tip_136.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 5,271
The easiest way to get the finish you require is take them to a professional polisher who have the wheels and different polish bars, but it then costs you and do not have that satisfying feeling of a job well done. Have you tried scraping the hard bits off with something blunt first.

Autosol, wire wool and elbow grease. Repeat until sufficient shine, or fingers start bleeding.

......... Autosol ....... a gift from God for OCD'ers and the analy retentive ....... :)

Brasso. The stuff in the tin impregnated into cotton fluffy stuff. I think there is actually a version for stainless steel.

Bought new ones

Very effective :thumb:

TonyC911 said:
I have heard of people putting their exhaust tips in the Dishwasher on a hot setting, to get rid of the worst of the dirt! :eek:

I must admit that on one occasion I Did remove the outer section of my 997.2 PSE tailpipe and wash it in the sink. Saved the back and knees!

I am persevering with Autosol and getting there! Quite a bit of elbow grease involved but now looking better. Way to go yet and then I'll have to have a go at the other one. I don't think these tips have been cleaned properly in 20 years, they were almost black with hard to shift shite. Thanks for the replies. No way am I paying somebody to do this as it is something I can do myself and those jobs are few and far between :roll:

Britemax Twins for me. Used to use Autosol and it is a good product but to me Britemax is better. Comes as a 2 pack. 1st one polishes the 2nd one is a finer polish and sealant. The sealant being the bit you don't get with Autosol.

Britemax does seem to help resist dirt, tar etc sticking to the exhaust. I also gave a deep clean prior to Britemax with a very fine wire wool to get the stubborn stains off. I used Autosol to help with this. Tips came up like new and i believe they are the originals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back