Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speed U clips for securing the rear shelf

mohitos

Barcelona
It's things like this that keep me up at night. Please help.

There are four screws that hold the rear shelf in place.

Behind the shelf they screw into some zinc coated speed U clips. One of mine is missing.

I've tried a few others but the hole for the screw is too large in the others and will not retain the screw.

Bizarrely, PET don't show the part so the OPC is not proving much of a help in this instance.

Longshot, but if anybody has a spare and can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Or if you can point me somewhere so I can buy one, that's just as good. Without the fourth speed clip, surely Zingari wouldn't even value my car as 25 bags.

Photos of the correct clip here:

Stuart, I would try Halfords or Maplins. I appreciate the parts not being OEM may be even more troublesome for you. You could also try http://www.specialty-fasteners.co.uk/
Good luck with the search.

Please picture Nelson Muntz from the Simpsons.
Now imagine him repeating his catch phrase. I'm off to count my rear parcel
shelf fasteners. :lol:

Unfortunately I haven't one otherwise would've sent, but have you looked at the 964 PET? Just scanned through and the parcel shelf related diagram has two speed nuts listed;

999.507.032.02 (up to '90)
999.507.071.00 ('91 onwards)

Might be worth a try?

HTH
James
:thumb:

It looks like a No.10 speed clip (U-clip) fastener but rather than the usual 4.8 hole it looks smaller more like 4.2 or even 3.5 diameter.

Standard sized clips, No-6, No-8, No-10, and No-12 are readily available but I suspect this is a more unusual size and probably only available from OPC if you can ever find that elusive part number.

Thanks everyone. Yes, it's the diameter of the hole that's proving a challenge. The screws are thin and most of the holes are too large.

I've ordered a box of various speed nuts so hopefully one works. If not, I may try your 964 part numbers - thanks James.

I think James is probably right the 964 PET shows two speed fasteners and it looks like one is sized for a 3.5 and one for a 3.9 sheet-metal screw. The 993 PET indicates the screws are 3.5 but the clip is a longer and narrower version of the usual No-6 (3.5) clip.

I ordered some OE speed nuts from Design 911 last year (to secure the inspection panels in the front arch liners) - as I recall you can search by part number and they were cheap as chips.

the uniqueness of some of the fasteners on 911s must be a very nice little earner for Porsche.

It amazes me how many similar but subtlety different screws and fasteners they used across the car. There can't be many cars with as many individual parts as these old things.

Lego couldn't build a Technic kit of a 993 as it would have to cost £3,000 at least to be close to accurate Vs the 991 kit :grin:

mohitos said:
The Number 6 clips have the correct diameter holdes (3.5mm) for the screws, but aren't long enough to position correctly to be clear of the rear bulkhead and central in the hole.

Will call the OPC now :frustrated:

Happy new year all.

Did you manage to locate the correct sized retaining clip?

I've ordered some from the OPC which are not yet with me. Hopefully will arrived next week and I'll be able to see.

27p each so in the random Porsche pricer, they were reasonable :thumbs:

This has not gone well :frustrated:

Attachments

• img_3752_147.jpg
    img_3752_147.jpg
    938.6 KB · Views: 6,815
Indeed not...

Hence only 27p

The ones you want are probably £9.99 - each

Hon a serious note: have you tried contact Porsche in Germany directly? I've found their parts department for classic cars to be quite helpful.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emb01
Back