Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitting Design Tek Spacers

PS1000

Have just removed one rear wheel to fit Design Tek 15mm spacers (Part No 3608000115) which I assumed would be a 2 min job - however I'm a bit concerned that the lip on the spacer does not seem to fit into the wheel.

I started off putting the spacer on the hub - then offering the wheel up but could not get it to seat properly

I've now got the wheel lying flat on the ground and am trying to see if the lip on the spacer will fit into the wheel centre. I've tried hitting it with a rubber mallet but it feels just a fraction too large to go into the wheel. The centre of the wheel is clean

I'm sure lots of people on the forum will have fitted these. Any thoughts or advice appreciated

Car is a Standard 997 Gen2 with Carerra Sport Alloys

Thanks

Pete

May or may not be relevant but when I looked into having Porsche 5mm spacers fitted, the OPC parts person said their spacers weren't compatible with the Carrera Sport wheels I have on my 4S :dont know:

Do they sit on the hub ok? And is the lip on the space the same as the lip on the hub? Any difference will tell you where the problem is! Might be worth a call to D911 in the morning if they are open.

The spacers sit on the hub perfectly and I cant see why it would be related to the specific wheel type (Carrera Sport alloys) as all wheel types will have to fit to the diameter of the hub lip.

I'd say the spacer lip is marginally larger (less than a millimetre) than the wheel centre.

It was getting dark last night so I just reassembled without the spacer. Am back at work now but when I get a chance at the weekend I will measure with digital calipers and get an exact reading.

Will also try D911 for advice- but they seem to be closed at the moment

Thanks for your suggestions to date. Any other thoughts welcome

Cheers

Pete

I think you may need to send them back to d911 as they would seem too large: maybe your more exact measurements will reveal the truth.

I bought 12mm TPI spacers for my 9972 with Carrera Sports rims and they're very well made, installation was a doddle.

Measured today. The rear spacers do not fit as the lip diameter is just slightly too large (by only .9 of a millimeter) compared to the lip on the Porsche hub. This prevents the spacer from fitting into the wheel centre

Hub lip diameter = 71.65mm
Spacer Lip diameter = 72.55

Seems strange that this has not emerged as an issue before

Currently awaiting info from D911

Just to update everyone - D911 have confirmed it was a faulty batch of spacers that were manufactured to incorrect measurements. Replacements on their way - so fingers crossed :)

DucatiRob said:
If the diameter of the lip is 1mm greater than the hub then I'm sure they won't fit, they should be quite snug. My guess is that they have been incorrectly manufactured.

I bought mine from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-1...Bolts-5x130-/302037929121?hash=item4652dd0ca1

Good quality, nicely anodised and come with the longer bolts too.

Right, before I order the ones above I have a few simple questions:
- are these the best ones or should I consider any other brands?
- all positive experiences with these, no binding/friction concerns etc.
- any chance these will foul the bodywork on my C4S and should I consider 10mm or smaller spacers?
- smaller spacers means less likely for crap to flick up and damage the undersill/rear wings right?
-anyone else got some good questions or pearly words of wisdom?

Thanks.

Bonners1 said:
DucatiRob said:
If the diameter of the lip is 1mm greater than the hub then I'm sure they won't fit, they should be quite snug. My guess is that they have been incorrectly manufactured.

I bought mine from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-1...Bolts-5x130-/302037929121?hash=item4652dd0ca1

- any chance these will foul the bodywork on my C4S and should I consider 10mm or smaller spacers?
- smaller spacers means less likely for crap to flick up and damage the undersell/rear wings right?

Thanks.

There are plenty manufacturers of spacers around so it depends what you mean by 'best'. For me they were the best value by miles as they came with the longer bolts needed for 15mm spacers. In terms of quality, they have been on just over a year now and the finish has held up very well on both the anodised spacer and the plating on the bolts.

I'm sure the Porsche OEM ones are very nice, but £300 :eek:

No issues with binding, balance or muck being flicked up any worse than standard but can't say if 15mm are suitable for a C4S!

DucatiRob said:
Bonners1 said:
DucatiRob said:

I bought mine from here:

- smaller spacers means less likely for crap to flick up and damage the undersell/rear wings right?

Thanks.

There are plenty manufacturers of spacers around so it depends what you mean by 'best'. For me they were the best value by miles as they came with the longer bolts needed for 15mm spacers. In terms of quality, they have been on just over a year now and the finish has held up very well on both the anodised spacer and the plating on the bolts.

I'm sure the Porsche OEM ones are very nice, but £300 :eek:

No issues with binding, balance or muck being flicked up any worse than standard but can't say if 15mm are suitable for a C4S!

I've just ordered a set of these as I needed them and they do look good value.

Final Update - Replacement spacers arrived yesterday from D911 and they fit perfectly. A subtle change but definitely improves the look. Well worth doing...Now what's next ? javascript:emoticon(':grin:')

Ducati Rob

Did you put the aforementioned 15mm spacers on both the front and rear of your c2s?

Cheers
Rich

Ducati Rob

Did you put the aforementioned 15mm spacers on both the front and rear of your c2s?

Cheers
Rich

Eire911 said:
Ducati Rob

Cheers
Rich

Hi, I only put 15mm on the rear and 7mm on the front. I think it's possible to go wider at the front, maybe 12mm!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back