Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 Vs 991.2 Fuel economy

weejimmy

Had a lads weekend in Wales a few weeks back with three mates one of whom had just taken delivery of a C2S 991.2. We brimmed both cars together three times over the four days and the results were interesting.

When driving spiritedly including the run to Wales and the Evo triangle (we stayed at the fabled Groes Inn to really get into the spirit of it) the difference was less than 1 litre over 250 miles. The 991.2 C2S was brand new, but I was surprised the difference wasn't bigger.

The next refuel was after a prolonged period of 50 mph driving (awful weather) and then cruising on motorways and over those conditions the 3.0TT consumed 4 litres less over the same sort of distance (again about 250 miles).

So it seems the big benefit of the 991.2 economy wise is when the turbos are not being used. When you are going for it, the two engines are pretty much on par. Kind of makes sense as a 3.0 will always use less fuel than a 3.8.

The other observation from the two mates swapping between the cars was that the 991.2 rode better. That could be because it was on newer tyres, but most reviewers have said the same.

Great fun though. I either had another 911 in front of me or in my mirror all weekend! His did get more attention though being in Miami blue Vs mine in white!

That's an informative post; your conclusions appear to make sense in that if the turbos are not being used then the smaller engine is of course more economical. Harry (previously from EVO car magazine) seems to think the turbo engine is equally economical as the N/A unit if not slightly less economical as evidenced here:

My old 991.1 S did 24.6 mpg over 4000+ miles.

My 991.2 Targa 4S has done 22.1 mpg over 522 miles (2 months old) but I think the lower economy is to do with the 4WD, I never use the performance though, nor on my old S :oops:

Kryton said:
I never use the performance though, nor on my old S :oops:
I'm going to need your man card back! :floor:

Kryton said:
My old 991.1 S did 24.6 mpg over 4000+ miles.

My 991.2 Targa 4S has done 22.1 mpg over 522 miles (2 months old) but I think the lower economy is to do with the 4WD, I never use the performance though, nor on my old S :oops:

Should have added this was 991.1 C4 S Vs 991.2 C2S. So mine was on a par despite being 4Wd. Again not suprising given the front wheels dont get much use when the grip is good or on motorways etc. The TFT graphic shows that pretty well. You can see it using the front axle under braking as well.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back