Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What to do I'm moving house and mileage will be going up

wilpert

Indianapolis
My 6 month old boxster s id a dream to drive but when I bought it I bargained for somewhere between 12 to 15 k a year business miles.

If all goes to plan, with the move, I'm doing a Kathy Beale and moving to ongar - not a million miles away from current east London but will add around 7 k miles a year.

We have an old but sound rangie sport that I can use at times but it looks like both me and the missus will be traveling at different times so she will probably be using that more.

Should I keep the Boxster and just pile on the miles or sell it, lose a few grand in early depreciation and buy a sensible beemer for about 20k that will not suffer depreciation and be cheaper to run?

The sad bit is that those country roads on quiet days are a pleasure to drive the Porsche on when I get away early from work now and again

Keep it. It won't make a ton of difference in the end. A bm will depreciate too..

Try the OPC you bought it from and see what the hit would actually be.

Personally if it were myself and if funds allowed I would consider keeping the Porsche as a 3rd car and put some of the hard earned towards a cheap work hack. Factor in the savings on significantly lower Insurance premium and reduced running and services costs and the hack might be an option. The option probably wouldn't be cost neutral but it might only be a smallish premium for having a bundle of joy to look forward to on sunny days and the weekends. :dont know:

Did that, dealer offered 46 k which is about 10 k less than I and a whopping 18k less than the ticket price because I got a pretty hefty discount when I bought it as it was last car of the old flat 6s standing and the 718s were coming in (I didn't want the twin turbo 4 cylinder)

It is fully loaded and was a 65k car 7 months and 7k miles ago.
I reckon when the sun shines if I kept it under 10k I'd get nearer 50k on a private sale.

I don't feel I would really want a car that sits on the drive all week, I know I'd end up getting in it and leaving the banger on the drive instead.

Not sure if the arrival of the 718 is helping or hampering the price

Monkeynutz said:
Try the OPC you bought it from and see what the hit would actually be.

Personally if it were myself and if funds allowed I would consider keeping the Porsche as a 3rd car and put some of the hard earned towards a cheap work hack. Factor in the savings on significantly lower Insurance premium and reduced running and services costs and the hack might be an option. The option probably wouldn't be cost neutral but it might only be a smallish premium for having a bundle of joy to look forward to on sunny days and the weekends. :dont know:

Then either faint or feel your jaw hit the floor when you hear the figure OPC buy back price is.... :floor:

Keep it, buy a £5K Mondeo or Vauhall for the travel with a garage queen back home.

Option 3, sell it, it's a car not your child or right arm :thumb:

wilpert said:
Did that, dealer offered 46 k which is about 10 k less than I and a whopping 18k less than the ticket price because I got a pretty hefty discount when I bought it as it was last car of the old flat 6s standing and the 718s were coming in (I didn't want the twin turbo 4 cylinder)

It is fully loaded and was a 65k car 7 months and 7k miles ago.
I reckon when the sun shines if I kept it under 10k I'd get nearer 50k on a private sale.

I don't feel I would really want a car that sits on the drive all week, I know I'd end up getting in it and leaving the banger on the drive instead.

Not sure if the arrival of the 718 is helping or hampering the price

Ouch! Tough call then :( Running costs will smart a bit every year but I would still be inclined to keep it, at least until the warranty ran out.

Why would you sell a car you clearly enjoy driving :dont know: OK you'll put more miles on it, it will depreciate more but don't let it deprive you as you're only around the once :what:

Even at your 12k-15k/pa that's over and above the 'average' for most Porsche and you'll still take a hit.

By buying the car knowing you would be doing 12-15k miles per year you took on board that depreciation would be far higher than if you were only to do 6-8k pa.

The upside then was that you would get to do a lot of miles in a great car and that your 'all in' cost per mile (i.e incuding depreciation) would probably be similar to someone running a garage queen.

All that's changed is the miles that you'll get to drive it. If you like it, keep it.

Do the calculations based on 15k per year and 22k per year and you'll probably find that the 'cost per mile' will be pretty much the same.

Good Luck with whatever you decide. :thumb:

keep running the Boxster, even at 20k pa, in 5 years it will have done 100k so will be worthless. so keep it another 5 years and really get the use and benefit of a great car. There's something really cool about a really high mileage, much loved performance car, complete with a few battle scars.

Also you may have a lot more depreciation but you will have a lot more enjoyment time and if you are spending so much time in the car you want it to be a nice place be and others have said take the hit and write it off over 5 years ?

My dilemma deepens:

Ive just had the news from my broker that my mortgage offer is falling around 18k lower than what we wanted and expected to get (self employed salaried director with dividends..long story short)

Anyway: I'm here:

presently:
Old but sound Range Rover Sport with high miles on the drive for family use.
New Boxster S on the drive - potentially wil be high miles as per the post.

So i could sell the Boxster, raise somewhere around 48k, put 20k of this as a downpayment on a Cayenne diesel (stay with me please)
Then sell the rangie for circa 10 and buy a little run around aka mini or Fiat 500

So we end up covering the mortgage shortfall
Replacing the Rangie with a decent family porker that will cope with the extra miles and still have a little run around that will not drop like a stone either.

The repayments for the pcp on the Cayenne will be around 700 pcm but we will save about 200 per month on fuel and about 250 per month on mortgage payments due to the larger deposit.

If youre still awake please provide opinions, if your getting drowsy and eyes glazed over, then sleep tight :D

Ouch! Tough gig indeed!

You have clearly been doing your sums and I assume the OPC has discussed options with you? It sounds doable and perhaps a compromise that doesn't sting so much but of course I have no idea of your personal financial situation and nor should I of course as I am not qualified to give advice anyway ;)

That said, unless I had been told that I have limited time on this planet and therefore only limited time to enjoy being a Porsche owner I would personally consider just biting the bullet for the time being and doing without the Pork.

By selling the Boxster and the Rover you could chop 20k off the mortgage and get 2x 2yr old nice BMW/Audi/Merc and be more than 1k better off per month. That would be a comfortable place to be having just bought a new home and some breathing space to adapt to the changing circumstances, re-evaluate your situation, set new goals and enjoy living ;)

My rather limited perspective only. If driving a Porsche is a goal that needs to be achieved sooner rather than later then your newer option certainly has its merits.

Good luck!

Ongar heh! Best roads in our neck of the woods... the blast from there , through "The Roding's" is always good fun

Reminds me of paying £48k for a V8 petrol cayenne... we commuted from Wanstead to Euston 5 days a week for 3 years . Add a few long distance trips plus weekends, We really got our use out of that car.

So when i had dropped a tad over £30k when I sold it, as mad as it sounds , I was happy that we hadn't just lost all that money with it sitting on drive as a weekend car.

Life's too short for boring cars. Buy a 996 / 7 (with a rebuilt engine :grin: ) and drive that every day

Our main car is a Range Rover vogue supercharged... I reckon it's worth £9k. Only done 80k miles , but will run that till it dies . If your Range is ok, would keep it . You can get a bit of snow out there :floor:

Buy a 'dog car'. Something that is cheap, can be abused and efficient to run and maintain.

I bought a Golf for the very short work run, costs next to nothing to run and insure.

Just my 2 pence, otherwise as mentioned on the forum, who cares about the mileage, just drive it... Your call?

Good luck with the sale 👍

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back