Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Catastrophic engine failures - others have problems too

mzmini

There's been a lot of talk lately about engine failures, bore scoring on 997.1 and 997.2 etc. etc. ........

Some marques can make your nightmares a lot worse and if, like me you happen to own a Land Rover Discovery if you worried about everything that could possibly go wrong you'd never sleep again. For example, to change the glow plugs on the Disco 3 you have to take the body off, so that's probably a 2 day job and a cost of over £2k with a main dealer.....!

This is a list of TDv6 failures that would make your eyes water - from snapping cranks, failed oil pumps, spun bearings to full engine failures:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-Links-to-Discovery-TDv6-SDv6-Failure-Reports

For a lot of these failures, a new engine is the only solution at a cost of £10k

..... perhaps we've not got it so bad after all..??

my brothers lotus elise is a box of bollocks, he is on his 2nd head gasket needing changing, ok, its not catastrophic but they aint the best cars.

Not just discos mate all LRovers are a bit of a lottery!

Good thread Chris, There are lots of Marques with rumoured issues. we would all be on bicycles if we believed them all. :thumb: :grin:

Yep Seeforz had a p38 it needed a new engine and gear box it had gone porous around the bores , being the fool I am :sad: , i got another guess what a new engine need again ,licked my wounds and brought a L322 owned it for 119 days in the garage for 56 of them before I backed it
Happy Days not really
cheers
MZ

Land Rovers in 'not reliable' shocker. It will be in the Daily Mail tomorrow.

MC

out of all my vehicles the best was a citroen berlingo van, I did 50k miles in it and dident even change the oil, I only sold it because I bent it, it had 120k on it and was running perfectly, what a vehicle.

So very true chaps :thumb:

My last but one daily driver, Mercedes W211 E280 Sport 100,000k :

Induction air intake flap servo motor failure (known issue inside the intake manifold, instant failure ) £2500 and 5 days off the road.

Front/ NS wheel squeak, took it in to dealer to diagnose, nothing to worry about, probably just a piece of debris stuck in a brake pad, 500 miles later wheel bearing failure, new hub carrier, new hub, new brake disc, new ABS ring, new ABS sensor, new caliper.............5 days off the road £2500

Both within 3 months of each other :sad:

All cars have their various foibles, the Porsche 911 ( in any guise ) of course have theirs :grin:

Does it stop me driving the pants off my Porschas ? hell no :hand:

Does it stop me driving the pants of my W212 E350 AMG Sport ? hell no :hand:

When I bought my 330d BMW everyone told it it'd shat its auto gearbox any moment and cost me 1500 quid to repair. 80,000 miles later it never happened.

I'm pretty sure if you google any car you'll get a long list of catastrophic issues.

The E60 M5 I run is supposed to lunch its big end bearings resulting in a new engine for £15k, among many other hugely expensive issues. But I've run it for 3 years and only paid £100 in non-service expenses :dont know:
However I do know someone who spent £20k in a year on theirs :grin:

Shaoxter said:
I'm pretty sure if you google any car you'll get a long list of catastrophic issues.

The E60 M5 I run is supposed to lunch its big end bearings resulting in a new engine for £15k, among many other hugely expensive issues. But I've run it for 3 years and only paid £100 in non-service expenses :dont know:
However I do know someone who spent £20k in a year on theirs :grin:

Big end bearings and throttle actuators I think. The BMW diesels were known for injesting the swirl valves in the intakes and there have been VANOS rattle issues for years. The big end problems on the V10 and V8s are the only really expensive ones. The E46 subframe issue is also well documented but not all that expensive to fix. SMG pump failures can also be expensive.

MC

Cars break down and sometimes need repairs? Who knew....... :what:

(Exactly OP, exactly :thumb: )

I think the problem with Porsche engine issues is that the brand is seen as a car for the wealthy manufactured by a Nation synonymous with a good solid engineering reputation which it undoubtedly is my Cabriolet new was £65K in the year 2000 and then to find out that there is possible intermediate shaft failure, cracked/broken piston liners etc possible even on a low mileage engine even with the benefit of a respectable full service history which can cause catastrophic failure in an engine with the considerable expense that follows just shouldn`t happen IMO, other Boxer engine manufacturers manage a design that doesn`t cause similar problems for owners.

I accept that the percentage of failures may not be that high (who really knows) but as internet use owners generally complain about the bad bits of ownership not the good bits that is not a lot of use if your engine suddenly goes pop one day and you are faced with a bill for several thousand £s.

Del.

I'm astonished sometimes that cars, being such massively complex and generally abused pieces of machinery, don't go horribly wrong more often than they do!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back