Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nico Rosberg retires: World champion quits Formula 1

MisterCorn

I didn't see that coming.

MC

BBC Sport Chief F1 writer Andrew Benson

Nico Rosberg's decision to announce his retirement from Formula 1 just five days after clinching his first world title is a major shock - but perhaps it should not be.

The German put everything into this season, as he explained in his statement on Friday. The pressure of those last few races was plain to see in Abu Dhabi on Sunday, in the way it peeled off him by degrees in the hours after the race.

While thinking about how hard winning that title was, doubtless his thoughts were also about what it would take to beat Lewis Hamilton to it again. He clearly felt that at the age of 31, with a young daughter, he was not prepared to make those sacrifices again.

All in all, it is a classy move from a classy man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38185846

Nico Rosberg's full statement:

'Since 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my 'one thing' to become Formula One World Champion. Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target. And now I've made it. I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right. My strongest emotion right now is deep gratitude to everybody who supported me to make that dream happen.

'This season, I tell you, it was so damn tough. I pushed like crazy in every area after the disappointments of the last two years; they fuelled my motivation to levels I had never experienced before. And of course that had an impact on the ones I love, too – it was a whole family effort of sacrifice, putting everything behind our target. I cannot find enough words to thank my wife Vivian; she has been incredible. She understood that this year was the big one, our opportunity to do it, and created the space for me to get full recovery between every race, looking after our daughter each night, taking over when things got tough and putting our championship first.

'When I won the race in Suzuka, from the moment when the destiny of the title was in my own hands, the big pressure started and I began to think about ending my racing career if I became World Champion. On Sunday morning in Abu Dhabi, I knew that it could be my last race and that feeling cleared my head before the start. I wanted to enjoy every part of the experience, knowing it might be the last time... and then the lights went out and I had the most intense 55 laps of my life. I took my decision on Monday evening.

'After reflecting for a day, the first people I told were Vivian and Georg (Nolte, from Nico's management team), followed by Toto.

'The only thing that makes this decision in any way difficult for me is because I am putting my racing family into a tough situation. But Toto understood. He knew straight away that I was completely convinced and that reassured me. My proudest achievement in racing will always be to have won the world championship with this incredible team of people, the Silver Arrows.
'Now, I'm just here to enjoy the moment. There is time tosavour the next weeks, to reflect on the season and to enjoy every experience that comes my way. After that, I will turn the next corner in my life and see what it has in store for me..."

A massive shock but probably not a great surprise.

He's achieved the ultimate in his sport and can now concentrate on enjoying the rest of his life.

:bye: Nico

Shocked to say the least, who will replace him?

Max V in shock last minute move?!

T8 said:

He's achieved the ultimate in his sport and can now concentrate on enjoying the rest of his life.

Well I am very surprised :) I would have thought he would have stayed onto prove a point.

The return of Marty Wild said:
Shocked to say the least, who will replace him?

Max V in shock last minute move?!

I think Dr Helmut Harko said his contract was water tight.

Fair enough, Danny Ric then? To try and put some distance between him and the child prodigy?!

I would have liked to see him defend the title next year - but at 31 and a multi millionaire to boot - I guess I can understand why he has retired.

Everybody wants to go out on top with something more to give.

Porsche News said:
Max would be ideal but Vettel or Alonso if you please

Now that would make F1 worth watching again

"Lets make Formula One Great Again" and get Max in there on equal billing to Lewis.

Maybe Button will suddenly unretire and we'll have him and Hamilton in the same team again :grin:

apollokre1d said:
T8 said:

Well I am very surprised :) I would have thought he would have stayed onto prove a point.

What point :?: He took his chance this year ....... Even without the regulation changes I'm certain he couldn't have repeated it.

The return of Marty Wild said:
Fair enough, Danny Ric then? To try and put some distance between him and the child prodigy?!

After Vettel left I think Christian Horner said the same about his contract :(

Porsche News said:
Max would be ideal but Vettel or Alonso if you please

Now that would make F1 worth watching again

Agreed that would be awesome :)

Who replaces him will be interesting. To my mind Mercedes current young proteges don't yet look ready for promotion to the front line and pretty much everyone else with a super license that would be a good fit has already signed a deal for next year with someone.

Doubtless Toto will have to pick Ocon from Wehrlein as the two options with Mercedes contracts in F1, but one wonders if there are escape clauses in the deals of more experienced alternatives given the major changes to the cars next year and importance of the manufacturer title. :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back