Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The time has come......

poppopbangbang

Nurburgring
It made it over 500K KM so not bad really.

Last oil analysis showed around 450PPM of copper which is way up on the usual so it looks like it's finally gone through a bearing somewhere. Hence time for a refresh. Hard to fault it really when you consider how many times the crank has rotated in that time....

I'll be deciding what I'm going to do once it's stripped, if eveything measures up relatively well then it'll just be a straight up refresh with fresh rings, chains, chain guides, bearings, valves and valve seats etc. If it doesn't and the bores are no longer round then it would be rude not to convert it to closed deck and go 3.7L really :D

I'll keep you all informed.

Incredible achievement ppbb ;) Do you have a DMS system fitted to the car or was it just a random SOAP sample that picked up the debris? Just goes to show just how well these go if well maintained; mine you, your one is a bit of a Trigger's Broom :grin: Best of luck getting it back on the road to hit the magic 1,000,000 mark

Fantastic! At a mere 108k miles, mine's evidently just run in...

It will be interesting to see what your strip-down reveals.

Whenever it's due an oil change I always get a sample analysed just to see how things are progressing with it. The race cars have samples tested after every run so we get good discounts from the lab which makes it a bit of a no brainer.

The rest of it might have been apart many, many times but the engine has never had the heads off and it made it this far on the original IMS. The engine is the only bit that's not triggers broom :lol:

It would make it a fair bit further yet but there is no point running it to the point it damages the crank just for the sake of it.

Robertb said:
Fantastic! At a mere 108k miles, mine's evidently just run in...

It will be interesting to see what your strip-down reveals.

Based on the oil consumption the bores should still be pretty good but after this many miles they will have gone oval a point, it'll be interesting to see how much!

If you get a chance can you take a few piccies or vids of what the engine looks like when you get taken apart...??

Be interesting to see how the inards look on car thats gone so far... :thumb:

Keep us all informed m8

Osh

500k on the original IMS !

that is an achievement !

:worship: :thumbs: :mrgreen:

:damn: I knew I shouldn't have sold my old 3.4 996.1 when it had only 90k miles on it. Darn. Barely out the wrapper :duh:

Fascinated to see what your strip and inspection brings as well. :chin: Great achievement. I'm still a looooonggggg way behind you but you're experiences are an inspiration to just drive the darn things :thumbs:

One in the eye for those who claim these engines are chocolate, well done.

Out of interest, roughly how much would an oil test be for the public?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back