Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What Should I Pay?

delays

First post on here, so a bit of an intro first.

I'm a lifelong Porsche fan and I spent my final year's student loan on a 986 2.5 3 years ago. Since then, I've moved on to a Cayman 2.9 PDK and I've driven across Europe to Stuttgart, round the Highlands and generally loved the thing.

Work's going well and the Cayman's keeping a healthy % of value but I want a manual again. Looked at a couple of 996s and an early car, 3.4, with amber indicators, ideally manual in Silver, 17inch wheels is what I want, I had a poster on my bedroom wall as a kid! So I'm thinking about selling up and jumping to 911 ownership.

I realise the days of ropey, leggy, smokey Tiptronics at £8k are gone, but what's the script on manual 3.4s? What's realistic these days?

:welcome: to 911uk

Ropey, leggy, smokey Tips are still available but you're right they'll cost more than £8k now. :grin:

Check AT and PH for what's around and use this forum to find out what to look out for. Run potential buys past the 996 illuminati before viewing.

For a good car you'll probably need £13k-£15k.

Good Luck :thumb:

I bought a manual 996.2 coupe from a dealer in June for 14k. It was on 86k with service history but not many receipts. Had just had clutch, RMS and IMS though. It's not immaculate but it's smart enough and runs well.

I've only had to do front pads and sort out the aircon (condensors etc) so far. The condensors were ok, I expected that and I did it myself but a damaged pipe under the car was expensive! Oh and a faulty coil pack on one cylinder.

I've done a few other non essentials as I smarten it up.

The key is to take your time, I suspect that it's a good time of year to be buying.

Good luck
Mike

Welcome!

I reckon you could get a decent honest early car for 11-12k.

You would need a bit of a fund to put right any of the usual issues like suspension.

Worth investing a few hundred £ in a proper inspection, which I dare say would pay for itself on bargaining points.

I bought my '98 C2 for £11k, it's in generally good condition with only 66k, but I've gone through it and replaced all of the suspension arms and am giving it a very thorough service, water pump, thermostat etc to bring it right up to scratch.

I'd rather spend that sort of money than £16k say for a car that superficially looks lovely, but needs just as much work doing to it. That said, I am happy to do a lot of work on my car, so preferred to buy a decent base but was happy to do work to bring it right up to scratch..

thecarfixer said:
I bought my '98 C2 for £11k, it's in generally good condition with only 66k, but I've gone through it and replaced all of the suspension arms and am giving it a very thorough service, water pump, thermostat etc to bring it right up to scratch.

I'd rather spend that sort of money than £16k say for a car that superficially looks lovely, but needs just as much work doing to it. That said, I am happy to do a lot of work on my car, so preferred to buy a decent base but was happy to do work to bring it right up to scratch..

I totally get where you're coming from, however it sounds as though you got a really good buy. 18 months ago I turned down numerous cars around £10-&14k because they were cosmetically ropey and /or had other issues. I had to spend a lot more money to get a car in the excellent condition I wanted, and even then have had to attend to a few small issues of course.

An inspection is a good idea unless you're justifiably confident. Imho you'll need to be spending £13-£15k to get something sound and presentable.

Some recent auction results of 996.1 & 996.2 here (at an "every man" auction - not an overhyped top drawer event):

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/...ults/results-from-saturday-5th-november-2016/

Osh said:
He delays

Jono is selling his car on here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=116950

I know nothing about him or his car but might be worth a look... :?:

Osh

Thanks OSh, mine is right colour and 3.4 but c4 and tip think he wanting manual c2. He is welcome to have a look if he is local though, i personally wouldnt write a tip off.

I'll probably be slated for my in put, but :

I'd suggest keeping the Cayman. It's a fantastic car and in PDK build era it's bullet proof within reason. There's lots of people on the forum that are now in a Cayman and are loving the move.

If you really want a 911 & your pocket can only buy you 996 then it'll be wise to get the oil candle out and make sure you're fully aware of what to look for, what to check & the questions you should be asking prior to any journeys.

Members don't reiterate the importance of getting the potential purchase in for an independent health check for sakes. Any 'Porsche' will cost you heavily if it requires certain work. Unfortunately in this life people off load vehicles when they see quotes for work required.

If you pick up a 996 with bore scoring, IMS, RMS, gearbox etc problems then potentially the reality is your bills could be greater than the car you've bought.

There are decent sellers out there so it's not all doom and gloom. However, it doesn't matter who you buy from get the car independently inspected BEFORE you hand over a penny. The only time you don't need to is buying from an OPC with their 2year warranty.

Hope it helps, and good luck with your venture if you decide to go the 911 route :thumb:

Keep the Cayman. What is your "cost-to-change" budget?
When it becomes within reach to get into a 997 Gen 2, go for that.

Your budget for a 996 may land you a car being off-loaded with big bills looming. Much safer bet is a 997 Gen2 car in my view and the one I'd recommend.

If you still want a 996, do your homework on the engine and potential gearbox issues and invest £300 in a full independent inspection with borescope.

The guy wants a manual 996 and it's a great choice. 997.2 is a completely different thing (far too GT for my liking) and his Cayman has PDK.

To the OP, take your time and do lots of homework. Sign up to Hartech so that you're on their selling list. Lurk on all the forums for much-loved cars with lots of TLC. Rebuilt engines should (but don't) carry a big premium for peace of mind; use that to your advantage.

I personally wouldn't buy an 996 (or 911) at auction; you don't get a good-enough look at the car, so it's easy to get a dog off-loaded onto you. Best thing would be a reputable dealer, because you always have 6 month's 'cover' even without a warranty. Inspection is a must, including boroscope and maybe oil sample if possible.

If you are handy/brave/prefer buying tools to paying people, get the Paragon 101 projects book and you could save a fortune. If you're near Hartech, take up their service/warranty plan. If not, keep chucking the Millers 10W-50 Nanodrive oil in and rev her good when warm.

I think £15K would get you a pretty good C2.

:agree:

Some of us have a budget and want a car now. The OP has said the 996 C2 3.4 is the car that was on his bedroom wall and wants to fulfill a boyhood dream.

The irony being that if we wait long enough for a 997.2 to come within budget, who knows the engine issues that are starting to emerge may become more commonplace, not to mention others with complex systems such as PDK, DFI that have not yet come to light but may do with miles/time.

OP your profile doesn't say where you are in the country, but my approach was to find a local Indy with a good rep, make contact, and for me what happened is when the sort of car I wanted was coming in, I got an email heads up, so saw it before anyone else. In my case this was Portiacraft, which happens to be 3 miles from me. They currently have this http://www.portiacraft.com/cardetail.asp?make=97_Porsche_911&id=2462 which may give you an idea of what you might pay from an Indy. (personally I was looking for lower miles than this)

OPCs won't deal in such old cars, so it's either Porsche Indy, other dealer, or private. (or auction but see above).

The advantage of any dealer over private is the Consumer Protection Act 2015, which is of help if anything major goes wrong in the first 6 months. The advantage of a Porsche Indy over other dealers is that most do their own warranties where they fix things themselves, so it isn't in their interests to sell you a pup (personally I don't trust Insurance warranties, and it may be difficult to get a decent warranty on such an old car),.

Below is Portiacraft's warranty as an example. I haven't got shares in them, just a satisfied customer. But I would try to find a local Indy you like.

Every Porsche we sell regardless of age or mileage will have a service and fresh MOT prior to sale
All our Porsches have within the asking price the following 1 year warranty.
The first 3 months 3000 miles (whichever sooner) we cover any faults found to include
engine gearbox drive train, electrics ,
This does not cover wear and tear items i.e clutches tyres etc.

The following 3 months & up to 6000 miles (whichever sooner) we cover labour and half parts cost customer to pay half of any parts used at cost.

Then after the first 6 months 6000 miles up till 12 months from day of purchase or 12000 miles (whichever sooner) we will only charge for parts used at cost.

All work to be carried out by Portiacraft.

Anyway, good luck with your search. I understand your longing for a manual; personally I mainly drive my Tip in manual mode changing gear with my thumb (even in London traffic), which I find a nice compromise.

A 3.4 996 coupe with a manual box in good condition for its age is easy doable for under £11k.

Although Autotrader/eBay/Pissheads is the obvious choice for scouring what's out there, I find you can usually bag a better deal by looking in the not so obvious places like http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/ & http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/

Example:

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/porsche/911/107518

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/porsche/911/112545

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C797687

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back