Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo Alarm Problem

Rioja996TT

Monza
Due to the car's low usage I suffer from the occasional alarm 'tantrum', but am baffled by its latest manifestation. When I lock and alarm the car using the blip, everything works perfectly including the unlocking procedure, but on cranking the engine both windows immediately drop down fully. The battery is a fully charged 85 amp Bosch Silver unit and the engine cranks vigorously without hesitation. No damp carpet underlay behind seat so presume no water ingress and the problem does not occur if the car is left unlocked in the garage. Anyone experienced similar?

Please please be somewhere near me ..

Hereford .. aww nuts ..

Why cant anyone with interesting problems like this live near me .. give me a chance guys .. instead i have to spend my day sorting 993 targa roof blinds and serviceing .. sigh ..

Sorry .. prattleing on ..

Unusual .. yup .. no ive not seen this before .

Need to look at the facts .. it only does it when locked ..

Have you tryed locking it with the key and the fob to see if it does it both times as im interested in the door lock side of it .

The alarm control unit is in charge of locking and windows ..

The only function im aware of that will drop both windows is comfort opening which again is controled by the alarm control unit .

Its just about possible thats theres some sort of fault on the drivers door lock .. but i think this is unlikely , i would assume it would happen when unlocked or you should at least have beeps on locking or unlocking .

When cranking the voltage for any other system drops .. and quite a bit so im thinking its an internal fault with the alarm cu which when the voltage drops is triggering it .

If not locked then i assume the alarm cu is not expecting anything on the comfort side so wont trigger this fault .

Hard to explain but i kinda can see how it would happen.

really needs a tester on it to check for codes and the values of door barrel etc .

Wet or previously wet alarm cu,s do pretty strange things .. might be to do with that.

Kind of job i really need to look at to come up with an answer im afraid and im not really sure what you can do other than get a garage to look at it .

Alarm cu is my guess with out any more info though and the first thing i would do would be to remove it and look inside at the circuit board .

Btw not all leaks are from the car .. a water bottle stuck under the seat can also leak onto it .. not the first time ive come across that !!

Thanks Demort, If I lock the car with the key and unlock with same, I get two beeps off the alarm and then the siren goes off. Stops with a blip but the windows still drop on cranking?

You have a problem with your dirvers door barrel it would seem .. its probably stuck on open position .. the switch is inside the door lock assembly ..

It needs a tester on it to confirm as on actual values you can see the position of the door barrel switch .

Beeps confirm something is in the wrong position when locking or unlocking .

Alarm tiggering is unusual but it needs a tester to investigate further im afraid.

Demort said:
You have a problem with your dirvers door barrel it would seem .. its probably stuck on open position .. the switch is inside the door lock assembly ..

It needs a tester on it to confirm as on actual values you can see the position of the door barrel switch .

Beeps confirm something is in the wrong position when locking or unlocking .

Alarm tiggering is unusual but it needs a tester to investigate further im afraid.

Demort, Many thanks for this. I am about to go to Spain for a month and do not have time to investigate further. I would normally leave the car locked and alarmed on a Ctek charger. Thus far I have had no problems with the alarm when the car is locked, but cannot risk it going off whilst I am away. My garage is secure, would it be prudent to leave the car unlocked?

When I bought my car the alternator was giving out too low a voltage and the car often turned over slowly. A few times the Windows dropped as it fired, the problem went away after replacing the regulator and hasn't been back since!

Don't know if this might be related to your problem but as others have said low voltage can make the windows drop!

Mac

The fault has self-corrected. I am sure this car will give me a coronary one day! I have threatened it with replacement by a 997.2 C4S and await its next escapade....

Thanks for all replies.

Mac996t said:
When I bought my car the alternator was giving out too low a voltage and the car often turned over slowly. A few times the Windows dropped as it fired, the problem went away after replacing the regulator and hasn't been back since!

Don't know if this might be related to your problem but as others have said low voltage can make the windows drop!

Mac

Low voltage causes many strange things to happen and pretty random .. low voltage to the alarm cu can cause alarm triggers when its unlocked .. central locking activation and i would guess at window opening although ive not seen that one .. its all interesting and usefull to know though :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back