Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Ownership experience.

Das68

I've just Part ex'd my 997 Gen2 Carrera2S (manual) , after nearly 4 Years , 50K miles using it every day (for almost everything).

Before buying the 911 I read lots of horror stories and was told it would cost me a fortune to keep, so I wanted to post an owners view of exactly how I found my ownership experience.

It was EXCELLENT!!!!!.

I brought a very nice low miles 2008 car from Mark at Sterlings (he's excellent)

Over the last 4 years I have spent a total of just under £1500.00 for all the service costs and a couple of very minor problems. (+ tyres of course).

It's been a great daily driver and in my view the perfect 911 (manual, Sports exhaust, Meteor Grey, etc).

Performance is excellent and can always be fully used, sounds great, nice place to be, everybody thinks its new even though it was over 8 years old.

I would have brought another but prices are now too high for a low miles (2-3 year old car)

I would recommend Mark @ Sterlings , and if you buy a good clean car I don't think you can go wrong.

I think in total (including deprecation) its cost me less to run than buying new Mondeo.

All the Best Darren

Nice story, sounds like you've owned that car in the prime years of it's life and got great value from your 50k miles. Great to have been trouble free for so long too, you may well have moved it on just as a few wear and tear would have shown up, the are too many variables for it to be an exact science of course, but I've had a bunch of things need replacing over the past year or so, suspension, steering, some corroded pipes, tandem pump, PSE ....anyway shame youve moved away, what did you go for if you don't mind me asking?

:thumb: Very enjoyable read and reassuring to new owners like me. Hopefully paying the premium of buying from OPC will provide me with some extra assurances similar to what you had buying from Sterlings. Used prices for anything Porsche with good mileage are firm to say the least! Good luck!

great to hear Das, also keen to know what you replaced it with ?

Sounds like you had a great ownership experience :thumb:

Das68 said:
I would have brought another but prices are now too high for a low miles (2-3 year old car)

This is key for me too - where to go from a 997.2 C2S? Cost to change to a 3/4 year old 991 would be significant, as it would be for a turbo or gt3.

Need the extra seats ideally, (otherwise a Cayman R might be a shout, or an AudiR8). Maserati Gran Turismo kind of appeals, but it's a big car and I suspect a lot less satisfying to drive fast. Evora is supposed to be great to drive, but questionable looks and interior.

So I guess I'll be hanging on to mine for a while yet, and take my chances with the bores :grin:

Das68 said:
seeforez said:

1 year old 1600mile M3 with lots of toys.

how did you do the man maths to justify the depreciation...when i had my M3 it was depressing me how much money it was losing but then again i dont domany miles so it was hard to justify just sitting in the garage

Great post Das good to see :thumb: :thumb:

davidjf7 said:
Sounds like you had a great ownership experience :thumb:

Das68 said:

This is key for me too - where to go from a 997.2 C2S? Cost to change to a 3/4 year old 991 would be significant, as it would be for a turbo or gt3.

Need the extra seats ideally, (otherwise a Cayman R might be a shout, or an AudiR8). Maserati Gran Turismo kind of appeals, but it's a big car and I suspect a lot less satisfying to drive fast. Evora is supposed to be great to drive, but questionable looks and interior.

So I guess I'll be hanging on to mine for a while yet, and take my chances with the bores :grin:

Yes its very hard to find another car with more than 2 seats that's affordable (for me) but still useable and fun to drive.

I'm hoping late next year I may be able to buy a nice Cayman S as a second / weekend car.

seeforez said:
Das68 said:
seeforez said:

1 year old 1600mile M3 with lots of toys.

how did you do the man maths to justify the depreciation...when i had my M3 it was depressing me how much money it was losing but then again i dont domany miles so it was hard to justify just sitting in the garage

The man maths wasn't that hard , my 911 whilst being excellent would soon start to cost proper money.
The M3 has already took the big hit (18k) , it has 2 years warranty to run and 4 years servicing paid for.
In 4 years time it will have lost about £16k more which isn't much different than the 911.

The man maths doesnt work on Porsche or BMW (unless its a special or old)

I have had second cars that have increased in value e.g Caterham ,Lotus Elise, BMW 1M, Ferrari 328 (I made 5k on mine but its now worth 50k more)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back