Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reflecting after my last proper drive of 2016.

T8

Super Moderator
I've just come in from my last 997T drive of 2016 and done my on-line SORN.

I know that I won't have either the time or inclination to go for a random drive during December and I doubt that the weather will make it worthwhile bothering for January so that'll be it until at least February 1st for me.

Before setting out I'd already done the same 45 mile route in wifey's trusty GT86, partly to check that there weren't any 'obstacles' etc that might mean a change of plans but also to provide a direct comparison between the two cars. I drive the little Toyota a couple of times a week but normally in traffic and on major roads rather than on empty cross-country tarmac and it's been a few months since I last gave the little Japanese 'buzz-bomb' her head.

Truth be told the drive in the GT86 was just as enjoyable as the one in the Turbo but in a totally different way. I've often opined that when 'pressing on' in the 2 litre, 197 bhp car I'm reminded of the 924 I had many moons ago (although I suspect the Japcar is actually quicker and more nimble) and the feeling of red-lining through the lower gears between corners is reminiscent of my much missed C4. It certainly underlines the fact that on Kentish B roads you really don't need massive bhp to have a huge amount of fun.

Jumping into the Turbo my first thought was (again) of just how wonderful just sitting in a 911 feels. Bumbling along through the local villages whilst waiting for oil and water temperatures to rise is a joy as you take in how compact and easy to drive the car is, completely belying the sheer grunt that is instantly available when you have chance to call for it.

Today I was lucky, the temperature was cold enough for the Turbos to perform at their best but not too cold that tyres and brakes would struggle. I've often described to those that have never experienced 'Turbo-Shove' that the acceleration is akin to sitting in the capsule of a catapult when it has been pulled back and released. There isn't any time to notice revs being built up in any of the lower gears. Once rolling the time it takes to see three figures on the digital speedo is mind-boggling. Mashing the right pedal in 'M' and with the Sports button pressed I still can't fathom how anybody could change gear manually as quick as my old slushbox does. I know for certain that I couldn't and, even if I tried, I know that taking my left hand off the wheel to do so would be 'interesting' especially as by the time you're into fourth (in a 6 gear car) it'd be time to brake hard and change down again. My '5-speeder' is perfect for me as after getting up to decent speeds only the occasional thumb flick is needed. The fantastic torque of the engine and the range of mph available in third gear make a perfect combination. My old 996T was immense in this regard but the extra 59 bhp and considerable extra torque make the newer car awesome. Incredibly, as soon as you come upon traffic or enter built up areas, the car just relaxes back into normal mode and could just as easily be a 'Focastraclio' machine.

This year I've put just under 6k miles on the 997T and this drive really brought home to me just how OTT the car is in this country. Half of my 2016 mileage was done abroad and I'm looking forward to doing the same next year. I love 100mph+ cruising on the autobahns with blips up to 160+ and thrashing through the German Forests but once you've done that everything in the UK just doesn't seem the same.

So, whilst I thoroughly enjoyed my last 45 miles in a 911 for 2016 I was pleasantly surprised to realise that, should the conditions allow, I'm actually going to enjoy blatting about in the alternative red boxer-engined car for a couple of months.

:thumbs:

A very enjoyable read, I think most of us have similar thoughts especially with all of pot-holed roads in the UK as well.

Great read, I've never been for a ride in a turbo so I can only imagine......

The AE86 is a really fun car, really handles well and because it's not over powered you can really wring it's neck and enjoy pressing on.

Excellent write up.
I SORN'd mine today and wasn't wanting to wash it again so left it in the garage.
Got my turbo in May and after a few 'technical' problems eventually got max performance after about a week, you cant really describe the feeling you first time you knock it down into 3rd and 'floor' it, the closest thing is probably a super bike but what has surprised me is how I'm sort of used to it now, in fact sometimes I drive it and I think it's down on power, it's not!
I had the same feeling when I bought a Ducati 916SP, the first time I really opened it up on a mile long stretch of road I scared myself that much I had to stop and have a moment to myself as I was shaking so badly, mind you the Police chasing me might have had something to do with it. :cop:
All I know is that when 'Maverick' says he feels the need for speed, we all know what he's talking about, long live brute power.

Very enjoyable read, thank you! Gonna be a while before I tuck mine up ;)

Nice write up Terry..
I am driving my boxster pretty much every day.
The beauty of having just 200bhp is that you can revel in the wondeful noise of the flat six and drive pretty much flat out everywhere and no one notices. :thumbs:

great read, my car is an all year rounder but i pick the dry and warmer days at this time of year, hoping to go for a spin tomorrow as forecast is good.
Totally agree the benefit of a smaller engine and being able to floor it through the gears as i only get through 1st and 2nd floored in my 4s and when i drove a turbo i struggled to open it up to the point i was getting frustrated.
We also need the obligatory pic of the car in pyjamas with its charger wire resembling an electric blanket....

I enjoyed reading that piece Terry and your post was fortuitous for me as it reminded me to apply for my SORN and it was last of the month so I would have missed a month's refund ....... thanks ....... :)

Palladium said:
fill it up as it will cost more in february

Fill it up because otherwise any air void will attract moisture (from outside air venting) that will repeatedly condense into the fuel, diluting the fuel and corroding any ferrous or alloy parts of the fuel and pump systems.

SORN = Statutory Offroad Notification (tell DVLA your car is not stored on the road and you want a refund for any unused car tax etc)

Shaoxter said:
My post was more along the lines of why would you spend all the money buying and maintaining a nice car and not driving it 12 months of the year! :hand:

I thought I'd covered that with ....... "I know that I won't have either the time or inclination to go for a random drive during December and I doubt that the weather will make it worthwhile bothering for January so that'll be it until at least February 1st for me".

The £80+ I get back from the DVLA will put plenty of petrol in the GT86 and if I want to do an A road blast I can always slum it in the Jag'. :D

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back