Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Can't Wait To Get To Hartech

Herd2243

It's not often you will probably will hear the enthusiastic phase "Can't wait to get to Hartech" but it's true for me in this case.

I will step back 3 months, I was one of those guys who blindly bought a 2005 997 C2 without thinking about the consequences of things that could go wrong and on the basis that I picked one up with the new clutch and new IMS replacement bearing with immaculate body work I thought it was a good deal (private not a trader). Deal done £18k, all went well for a couple of weeks until I became concerned of a ticking noise from the driver's side and after internet research, I felt very sick upon discovering the consequences & what a c**k I had been. I got the engine bore scoped to confirm it and after substantial research and phone calls and fighting with my inner demons on what I really wanted from this car I decided to bite the bullet and send it to Hartech.

I have to say Grant at Hartech has been fantastic, gives you straight realistic answers; will provide a solution to suit your budget and lays out the benefits on the options you may wish to go for. It's been 8 weeks since I handed the car over and it's ready to get picked up on Friday, with all six cylinders relined, new larger IMS and new timing chains etc etc, now I can mash my right pedal without have to worry about something blowing up.

You may ask yourself why I am telling everyone how stupid I have been on buying a car without doing the proper checks. Well as much as I now love this forum since finding it, a lot of people who post about scored bores sometimes get negative feedback , examples being - "trying to create a panic", "getting more business for fixing engines". My feelings are the opposite it should be advertised to the wider domain that this can occur and it may even happen on a Gen2 as we have seen recently, everyone should shout out, because on this forum I think we are only seeing the minority, I think the dreaded borescore is more a common problem than we actually hear about.

I am probably going to come under fire for the above statement, but I don't care, because I am going to pick up my 'Hartech" rebuild 997 on Friday!!! LOL
:D :D :D

Really hope for all the best for you and this car in the future!

Coming from a man than just bought a Cayman S 987.1 last week.

Nice one!

I agree- the prospect of a freshly handbuilt and future-proofed engine by a leading engine builder is an exciting one.

All told, for presumably around £30k all in you are getting a car that will last you years.

It would be interesting to know exactly what you had done, everyone writes new cylinders, timing chains etc etc..

what is "etc etc"?!

and what was the mileage on the car?

You probably won't have considered this, but when you eventually decide to sell the car, it will be that much more desirable because of the Hartech rebuild.

Not too much comfort for your pocket at the moment though.

Enjoy :thumb:

I'm pleased you are pleased. Nothing better than getting something that was broken fixed and then being able to enjoy it.

However for those of us whom haven't had a problem wiping circa £10k off their 997's value probably will reduce their willingness to 'Shout' about a problem that they haven't got.

I can imagine how sick you must have felt when the faults materialised. In October I sold my 997 C2 which I had owned from new in 2004 (so an early car). It was to be my car for life. It was dealer serviced from new & no sign of faults appearing when I sold it. Having retired in 2015 I could not face the prospect of having a major failure and the cost of putting it right.
What is annoying is the fact Porsche, the "Holy Grail" of automotive engineering could design an engine with such issues and allow it to soldier on from 1997 - 2009 before finally scrapping it. Over the past week we have read here that perhaps there are similar issues with the replacement power unit as age & mileage grows. At least Porsche North America went some way to acknowledging there were issues when setting the class action. People have an impression of Porsche that is unjustified. Friends couldn't believe I sold my P&J and were amazed when I told them of my concerns for future ownership.
I agree with you, this forum is crucial for current & potential owners to become aware of potential issues with these cars. Had I known in advance I would have had second thoughts when I bought a new Boxster in 2001 & upgraded to the 997 in 2004.
Comments posted by some recently have been very arrogant & high handed: "if you cannot afford to run an expensive high performance car, you shouldn't buy one in the first place". People buy these cars in the knowledge that service & maintenance costs are high. What they don't expect of a product that is expensive to buy initially is that its beating "heart" is likely to fail after some 60K (or earlier) miles requiring major surgery or replacement.
Hope you enjoy the car when it comes back & you have many trouble free miles.

Poker2009 said:
It would be interesting to know exactly what you had done, everyone writes new cylinders, timing chains etc etc..

what is "etc etc"?!

and what was the mileage on the car?

Well the list is quite extensive, but essentially-
6 new closed deck aluminium alloy nikasil plated cylinders,
crank shaft, piston ring set, crank shaft bearing set,
2006 onwards intermediate shaft,low temperature thermostat &
timing chain set, also used by good condition pistons, tandem pump and chain tensioners. The mileage on the Car is 73k

That's not too bad.... my old C4S had covered just 25k when Hartec said it had scored bores. I looked at 3 cars in 2013, all with less than 30K on the clock and 2 of them had scoring which makes me think its more common then most people think.

The OP has a great attitude! I am in a similar position with bore scoring having been diagnosed!

The fact that no one knows just how common this fault is is no reason to bury our heads in the sand and pretend that it is rare. If more than 10% of cars will suffer, and I am one of those that believes it is significantly more, then it should be accepted as a common fault!

Mine was diagnosed over six months ago and is still running fine and will hopefully continue for another 6 months giving me time to sell one of my girlfriends children to pay for it!

One of the great benefits of forums like these is so prospective buyers can make decisions with their eyes wide open.

Enjoy your newly rebuilt engine and let us know how it feels!

:thumb:

Kudos to the OP for having a such positive perspective in those circumstances! I hope balanced discussions can be had here at least to inform and educate newbies like me.

DucatiRob said:
The OP has a great attitude! I am in a similar position with bore scoring having been diagnosed!

The fact that no one knows just how common this fault is is no reason to bury our heads in the sand and pretend that it is rare. If more than 10% of cars will suffer, and I am one of those that believes it is significantly more, then it should be accepted as a common fault!

Mine was diagnosed over six months ago and is still running fine and will hopefully continue for another 6 months giving me time to sell one of my girlfriends children to pay for it!

One of the great benefits of forums like these is so prospective buyers can make decisions with their eyes wide open.

Enjoy your newly rebuilt engine and let us know how it feels!

:thumb:

I think it is quite clear now that this "10%" is nonsense and they are all destined for the same fate. It just depends how long before it happens - if they get to 120-140k miles then its not too bad going.

You can only try and take some precautions to pro-long it by oil changes, better thicker oil and LTT (which btw has it's downsides with fuel consumption and performance)

Every time I come on here lately there is yet another borescore horror story! Should rename the forum borescoreuk.com!

If any member with a 997 3.8 C4S is paranoid about bore-score and is having sleepless nights, I will gladly do a straight swap for my more robust 996 with M96 3.4 engine :grin:

Note: There will be a small fee of £1000 incurred for swappingi

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back