Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

oil filters - interesting comparison

wilsonny

Spa-Francorchamps
This bloke sounds a right prick

What's he? Setting himself up to be a font of all knowledge to be followed

Porsche would hardly make a filter with a lower spec than they require.
After market ones are cheaper
Wow, buddy
Awesome, as you yanks like to repeatedly say
Again
And again
Err
And again.
Do yourself a favour.
Go out and get a life instead of cutting up oil filters to compare them
Did you miss the sealant ring size
Plus it's impossible to get a spike in oil pressure of a height and gradient that will bend a steel Spring
You berk.
Oh and before I close
Fit your filters hand tight after greasing the rubber
But you already know that.

stuttgartmetal said:
This bloke sounds a right prick

What's he? Setting himself up to be a font of all knowledge at.

...didn't mean to bring on your yank angst with that little link :eek:

Main thing for me from this article was to see the filter internals rather than heresey on "reducing porsche standards" etc. ..my own take from this is keep using the oem filters. ...and i see that's his conclusion despite the tripe he writes about the spring bending risk. I've seen loads of Internet folks thinking mahle filters are better, so it's nice to see some comparison like this.

Agreed
OE filters
However, doesn't he say some tripe about pleats ?
For all I know, overpleating would reduce flow.

Easy to oil change every three thousand
The oil you will be removing will still be golden.
And filter comparison wise
I buy mine from Type911shop
OE
Peanuts compared to the oil
However the whole job costs less than a hundred squid.

Oiled!

Hi all.
Is some one suggesting that porsche's and nearly all European automotive manufacturer of OE fitted filters from the likes of MANN and MAHLE/KNECHT don't do there own reasearch and development properly?? Did you know that mahle supply the barrels and Pistons of the 993 and are hardly a tinpot brand.
Did you also know that historically mahle supplied all of Porsches filter and used to supply the 993 engine air filter( now filtron , Poland!!!) . Mahle still supply the cabin filter set and used to supply the KL21 petrol fuel filter. I don't know who made the original oil filters for the 993, I can't remember them being anything other than those made in USA ones . I find it unlikely that an individual could find fault with a design from a company as big and respected as MANN/MAHLE/KNECHT/HENGST and I believe that a lot of other lesser known brands of filters are just rebranded versions being made by the big boys? I see now Euro car makers using WIX , FILTRON etc and I don't think its because the old guard have lost there way and don't know what they are doing any more. I rather think profit is the biggest deciding factor in it all. MAHLE or MANN not up to the job as the yanks would say" yeah right"
I know there is a recuring theme about the Mahler filters on the 993 turbo , but it's Porsche who made the oil supply blunder on that car with the lack of one way valves in the turbocharger oil supply feed and return lines.
Christian..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emb01
Back