Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Iffy ignition switch!

Delanor

Nurburgring
My ignition switch seems to be getting stiff to turn when starting the car it was like it to a certain extent when I bought the car a year ago but is it on its way out or can you dose it with WD40 or switch cleaner etc.

Come to think of it on the odd time it didn`t seem like it was going to start turning the key and I thought it might be the starter on its way out but now I`m wondering if its the ignition switch.

Del.

Common fault and easy to replace the back of it , happened to mine you had to turn the key back after starting.

You can pick them up off e bay I think.

Matt

You can replace just the rear switch part of it .. at work we always replace the entire lock minus the barrel .. wd40 wont work im afraid .. its a cracking issue with the switch assembly at the rear as i understand it .

Pretty easy to diy .. if needed ill post some instructions .

Have I not read somewhere that the back part of the switch is a VW item and can be replaced a lot cheaper than using OE Porsche parts ?

....... or did I dream it ? :dont know:

chaser said:
Have I not read somewhere that the back part of the switch is a VW item and can be replaced a lot cheaper than using OE Porsche parts ?

....... or did I dream it ? :dont know:

No, your not dreaming. The electrical switch portion is a common item to a bunch of german cars including Audi and VW. Also lots of aftermarket versions as well. When failing it gives all kinds of odd electrical faults, but don't think a sticking key would be one....that sounds mechanical to me.

It is probably a VW part .. a lot of bits are ;)

It is the part that normally fails and can cause the key to stick as well .

But as i said before ive only fitted the complete assembly minus the barrel , not sure the cost but worth looking into .

How fortunate Porsche owners are compared to lesser revered marques when they are given the opportunity to spend an additional amount of their hard earned money on parts for their cars!

The ignition switch is the same 8 port switch a part recognised as 4A0 905 849B a part fitted to various VW (Volkswagen), Skoda, Audi, Seat Golf 4, Passat, Polo, A3, A4, A6, A8, Avant cars see: Not very expensive VW group switch compared to the same far more expensive Porsche switch.

Perhaps with the :worship: Porsche name on it you get a better quality switch! :?:

It is the same wherever you look ask for the cheaper Audi, VW etc version then ask for the Porsche version and the price goes up considerably in comparison.

There is no 1998-2003 Porche part number as the switch is no longer available you have to buy the complete lock assembly but you can get a VW switch from a Porsche parts supplier which is more expensive than a pattern part.

Del.

Attachments

• dsc_0858_64716142723254812801280_196.jpg
    dsc_0858_64716142723254812801280_196.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 5,858
A little tip for anyone replacing this switch. As you may be aware, there are 2 tiny grub/set screws that hold it in place. These are somewhat challenging to get at without tearing the dash apart, or being a circus quality contortionist.

I discovered that once these are removed the first time, you can replace them with a cap type screw, which makes the next time the switch has to be replaced, a simple and tool-less job as you can grab the cap screw with fingers as it doesn't requite heavy tightening. M4 x 0.7 screw, about 20-25mm long and tip ground to a point.

I had the same problem, but the car would register the key as still in the ignition - so the alarm wouldn't set and I had the single "beep". Took me ages to realise what was happening, I checked all the doors/ interior cubbies/ boot a few times..

Part from the local VW parts agent next day, seems they are a "better" part than ebay for £15 more, and used Richard's guide:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=56309

Taking the speaker out is a great help.

JTT said:
A little tip for anyone replacing this switch. As you may be aware, there are 2 tiny grub/set screws that hold it in place. These are somewhat challenging to get at without tearing the dash apart, or being a circus quality contortionist.

I discovered that once these are removed the first time, you can replace them with a cap type screw, which makes the next time the switch has to be replaced, a simple and tool-less job as you can grab the cap screw with fingers as it doesn't requite heavy tightening. M4 x 0.7 screw, about 20-25mm long and tip ground to a point.

I did mine with a very small ratchet driving a screwdriver piece in a 6 or 7mm socket. Once you know where they are, it's quite easy, it's just feeling for them that's the difficult bit.

They don't have to be done up too tight as they're just grabbing the plastic to stop it moving backwards.

arry said:
Once you know where they are, it's quite easy, it's just feeling for them that's the difficult bit.

Indeed, and the thumb screws make it even easier. I'm confident I could swap out on the side of the road in less than 10 mins and never had to dig out tool kit.

Any chance you could pop round and spend a few minutes doing mine - its a bit brass monkeys here at the mo but I suppose it is a bit of a round trip for you!

Del.

Where is the land of the cat?!

I do actually have a spare ignition switch here too.....

Its the land of the big cat :cat: or to put it another way the ancestral home of the Jaguar - Coventry.

Del.

Ah! Yeah bit far :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back