Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New refurbed steering wheel

Pedders

Trainee
Just had my 997.1 steering wheel recovered by Royal Steering Wheels, and I am more than happy with the result. Being 10 years old the wheel was the only thing in the car that was looking tatty, so I decided to get it recovered. Taking it off was a bit off was a bit of a pain, but after a while it decided to come off. I've never liked the steering wheel compared to the new Porsche's, so I had it made thicker with smooth napa leather, thumb grips fitted, and yellow stitching to match the rest of the interior. The result was amazing. All in cost was £150 + postage. There was a slight faff regarding postage as my name was used on the postage label and I was called away to work abroad. This meant my partner couldn't collect it. Amazingly, Jack called the post office, changed the name and got them to redeliver it. Outstanding customer service. Would definitely recommend them and use them again in the future.

Attachments

• img_1465_188.jpg
    img_1465_188.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 4,632
  • img_1466_113.jpg
    img_1466_113.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 4,632
  • img_1467_439.jpg
    img_1467_439.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 4,632
  • img_1468_439.jpg
    img_1468_439.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 4,632
  • img_1469_147.jpg
    img_1469_147.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 4,632
This is one mod that is very high up the list , esp at that price.

Just need to take a brave pill to remove the wheel without messing anything up . How tricky is it to do ? I have the seldom used 200 piece Halfords professional socket set :floor:

Good time of the year to do it as well, as car isn't used as much. What's the turn around time ?

It's not too much of a drama once you dislodge the airbag unit. First make sure you disconnect the battery and leave it 30mins. There is a small hole under the steering wheel where you can stick an allen key or screw driver to disengage the clip. Once thats done the airbag unit will pop out so you can unplug the electrical cables. Once the airbag unit is out you will see the splined bolt.

You will need a long T55 torx bit to unscrew it. I got mine on Ebay. Once thats done, remember to mark the splines with a pen so you can re fit it straight later. There is a good vid here https://youtu.be/BPSa0ThoK3w which shows the normal wheel. The multi function just has a few more electrical plugs. Turn round time on the wheel is normally 2 weeks. If you need any more advice let me know.

Looks good pedders liking the yellow stitching, all I have to add to pedders review is when removing the wheel if the small hole under the wheel that releases the airbag is not there it means the wheel has never been off the car, and there should be a dimple you need to push a small screwdriver through there to make a hole. and last thing when replacing the wheel there is a set torque can't remember if its 32 or 37 but you need to torque to the correct level.
:thumb: :grin:

Thanks Phil, they did a grand job. 32-37, I reckon 35 should be enough then.

Looks incredible. The steering wheel on my 997.1 was one of the first things I noticed and didnt like. It makes the car look like its done twice the mileage it really has.

Only problem is I wouldnt be able to be without my car for 2 weeks as its a daily driver, so I may have to buy another steering wheel and have that done, then swap them over afterwards.

Rabbitstew, you don't need to do that mate. If you drive to them they will give you a replacement you can use (and swap them while you wait).

Fantastic job, thanks for sharing!

Does look like a good job. I had my wheel done there and it wasn't great, but in alcantara. But that does look good.

Pedders said:
Rabbitstew, you don't need to do that mate. If you drive to them they will give you a replacement you can use (and swap them while you wait).

Excellent, thanks for that!

Pedders said:
Also, I've just found out the correct torque is 33lbs/ft.

Perfect , I must try and remember that , I knew it was in that area. :thumb: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back