Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Mounts

Carrerascott

Silverstone
I have gradually been replacing and refreshing various parts over the last few years such as suspension arms, inner rack ends etc.
Seen a few posts on here recently about replacing engine mounts so was wondering after 12 years/63k miles....

1) How worn are my engine mounts likely to be (bearing in mind that they have never been mentioned in any service reports)?
2) What benefit would I see from replacing them?

Not really interested in uprated mounts as I am keen to keep the ride as it left the factory

Cheers

Easy to tell .. how much of your hand can you fit between tailpipes and body of car?

Before - I could slide my whole (flat) hand in the gap
After - can barely get up to my knuckles

60k miles , 2006

RSS mounts are fantastic honestly :thumb:

You probably don't notice mounts are worn driving gently round town. People talk about feeling engine move ... I can't say I did.

Afterwards , it was clear that new mounts made car feel a bit tighter

1) imo at that mileage the rubber guts will be stretched and worn.
2) car will feel tighter , more connected

My mounts were replaced 2 months ago for stock items. My tail pipes do sit slightly higher as a result of the new mounts but overall they are still sagging due to f8cked exhaust clamps and brackets which i shall address very soon.

An expert should be able to replace both mounts in less than an hour. For a definitive assessment of wear, remove one and lay it next to a new one on the bench. You will then be able to compare how much the rubber inerds have streched and perished.

let us know how you get on

:agree: with both the above comments.

Tailpipe check is the easiest way to see but to be honest then the car would probably benefit from them being changed .

Labour would be cheap .. airbox out .. jack on engine and undo .. just the cost of the mounts .

No idear of RS mounts though .. im a standard type of guy :D

I would like to do this mod as well as the gearbox mounts. Any idea if non OEM parts would invalidate my warranty? :roll:

Hello tonyc911.

i take you mean specifically porsche extended warranty and not warrantywise rac etc etc.

imo most opc could get picky and decline a warranty claim IIIFFFF they spotted the non porsche engine mounts installed. I suppose it is also relevant which part had failed , you should be ok with a xenon headlight bulb - extreme example.

I personally would not risk it , having porsche warranty myself, ffs i had to buy a moll battery just to get onto the scheme !!

If one did take the risk and proceed with non porsche mounts, one may risk an opc turning round one day and protesting ...." we feel sorry for you that your engine and has eaten itself, but we cannot start a diagnosis , let alone repair or even honour a warranty claim because our new apprentice with brand new contact lenses has noticed your shiny rs engine mounts"

TonyC911 said:
I would like to do this mod as well as the gearbox mounts. Any idea if non OEM parts would invalidate my warranty? :roll:

For an existing Porsche warrenty then any claim made would take into account the non Porsche parts fitted .

If your rear light unit packed up then mounts would have nothing to do with it so there should be no problem as it has no bearing on the claim.

If you complained about vibration or say a gearbox mount broke ( just an example ) then i very much doubt you would get it under warrenty.

Your problem becomes one of renewing the warrenty .. it WILL not pass if there are ANY visable or obvious non Porsche parts fitted .. includeing the last service .

The only non porsche part fitted that i have heard of passing a 111 point check was armour fend .

Demort said:
TonyC911 said:

For an existing Porsche warrenty then any claim made would take into account the non Porsche parts fitted .

If your rear light unit packed up then mounts would have nothing to do with it so there should be no problem as it has no bearing on the claim.

If you complained about vibration or say a gearbox mount broke ( just an example ) then i very much doubt you would get it under warrenty.

Your problem becomes one of renewing the warrenty .. it WILL not pass if there are ANY visable or obvious non Porsche parts fitted .. includeing the last service .

The only non porsche part fitted that i have heard of passing a 111 point check was armour fend .

Thanks Demort, that is really useful info. I think I will wait until my current warranty expires and then make a decision on a possible extension, before making any non-stock changes, just to be on the safe side!

Nothing wrong with fitting new standard mounts , every car i have fitted them to the owner has noticed a difference .

RS mounts give a harder ride ? need some info from the forum guys here as i dont know but would be interested in the differences if someone can explain it to me.

Just to add to my previous post .. Porsche wont warrenty parts they have not made / supplyed or tested on their cars to find out their effects.

Porsche also would not be able to replace or buy parts from a 3rd party if it failed .

I cant fault this logic , who would warrenty a part that someone else made , someone else had the profit and not knowing what effects it could do to other components .. im not interested in warrenty firm answers here :)

I do disagree with the batterys but this falls more under the blanket rule Porsche issues to dealers about non Porsche parts .

Demort said:
Nothing wrong with fitting new standard mounts , every car i have fitted them to the owner has noticed a difference .

RS mounts give a harder ride ? need some info from the forum guys here as i dont know but would be interested in the differences if someone can explain it to me.

Iain, the rennline adjustable semi solids I have fitted come with multiple options I went for the softest which is yellow top and bottom and they are very similar to RSS in firmness. Mine is my daily and I genuinely don't feel its over hard a bit more that the stock but the stock were 8 years old :dont know: I love the more confident feel of the car as there's no engine sway so with it lowered it has a more mechanical sort of GT3 feel to it without the total focus of the GT3 . :thumb: :grin:

Dermott I fitted RSS to my 993 and it made the car feel more stable when cornering and under braking.

The ride wasn't harder but it did vibrate more at idle but I also had a LWF.

It was similar to fitting solid or semi solid bushes to the suspension but probably more pronounced .

Personally I found it one of the best improvements I made to the car but perhaps not for everybody.

Interesting .. cheers Nimrod and Phil .. ive spent most of my life haveing to fit standard parts so modifieing is new to me .. love to know the benifits of things like this and how it affects the car after so many years in the " Porsche mindset " :)

Iain , Nimrod has summed it up nicely generally a nicer more sports car ride a balance between the GT3 and the boat like suspension from stock done to suit the fat suits with piles who would be the first owners.
as Nimrod says a little more Vibration at idle but worth it for the gains elsewhere but I also fitted Function first transmission mount inserts the yellow fast road ones so that might have added a bit to the NVH I could have gone with the regular road insert which is much sorter and has no NVH.
But the added vibration is minimal and doesn't affect my ability to use as a daily. also to note is the NVH settle quite significantly after a few hundred miles of driving and the new parts settling in. So when you first drive it after driving on 10 yr old mounts it's a bit of a shock :eek: but very quickly you realise how much better the car feels and then as I say it settles after a while . :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back