Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Moving in soon.

Les

You're cursed with PCars. Are you sure you want to do this all again Les? :lol:

Les, welcome to the round headlights page, Are you planning a progress thread and will it be like this looked for a 997, found a 997 , brought a 997 drove a 997 blew up a 997, had it rebuilt and future proofed a 997. :grin: :grin: :thumb: but in all seriousness I hope 997ship gives you less hassle than the last 4 :thumb:

997 cab .. get the rear drains cleaned out ..

Voltage check on the alternator and battery for voltage drop .. starter lead and power distributor board fault will show on that check .

Exhaust silencer brackets crack and rattle .. easy enough to see underneath

Exhaust flange studs .. make sure they have been changed ..

Tandem Pump .. make sure its not too corroded

Check shocks for dampness

Check front coolant crossover pipes for corrosion .. expensive

Ill leave any engine faults as i dont want to jinx this !

Hopefully .. you will loose your title :D

Good luck .

Good luck and I hope for your sake you're either getting a 997.2 or Harteched 997.1!

Good luck with the sale and search .

Good to see you haven't lost faith in the brand after all the woes :thumb:

Demort said:
997 cab .. get the rear drains cleaned out ..

Voltage check on the alternator and battery for voltage drop .. starter lead and power distributor board fault will show on that check .

Exhaust silencer brackets crack and rattle .. easy enough to see underneath

Exhaust flange studs .. make sure they have been changed ..

Tandem Pump .. make sure its not too corroded

Check shocks for dampness

Check front coolant crossover pipes for corrosion .. expensive

Ill leave any engine faults as i dont want to jinx this !

Hopefully .. you will loose your title :D

Good luck .

Four of those items are one of the reasons I sold my 4S and bought a newer car.
Exhaust brackets cracked, Flange studs were new as I fitted new silencers but the manifold bolts looked horrible, tandem pump was showings signs of heavy corrosion as were the coolant pipes.

Welcome aboard Les :thumb:

@ chaser i totally agree ..

But i was trying to think of what is best to check when buying a 997 and although its a lot .. its all i could think of that are the common problems .

Exhaust bolts ( flange ) seem to rust through quicker the newer the car .. gen 2,s rot away a lot faster than gen 1s .

Crossover pipes .. well if not corroded then bury them in waxoil and they should last a lot longer .. lot of water / salt water in winter gets on them with one being ally .. thats the one that suffers .

Tandem pumps again .. plenty of waxoil .

Cant do much about the power leads though .. Porsche has modified the battery connection but the starter is just luck of the draw .. ive seen a lot but in the great scale of things its not a huge amount .

i also felt it best not to go into the engine area .. enough posts about that as it is with out any comments from me .

If Les can get those items checked on any car he thinks of buying then i for one would be happy :)

Whilst mentioning the coolant pipes along with other faults, how would anyone know if the crossover pipes were corroded or on its way?, what are the signs to look out for? Also how much would it cost to replace the pipes if so???

Cheers

J

Put good sturdy padlocks on your engines chaps, Les can whip one out in an hour, he`s so used to doing it :grin:

-- 997 -- said:
Whilst mentioning the coolant pipes along with other faults, how would anyone know if the crossover pipes were corroded or on its way?, what are the signs to look out for? Also how much would it cost to replace the pipes if so???

Cheers

J

Put the front wheels on full lock allowing a good view of in front og the wheel and shine a torch in, you will see 2 fat black rubber pipes, they will usually have a rusty join, if leaking you will see some white marks at the bottom where fluid has leaked out...

seeforez said:
-- 997 -- said:

Cheers

J

Put the front wheels on full lock allowing a good view of in front og the wheel and shine a torch in, you will see 2 fat black rubber pipes, they will usually have a rusty join, if leaking you will see some white marks at the bottom where fluid has leaked out...

Hi, thanks for that, also what if you could smell alittle coolant like a sweet smell from time to time? Is that normall?

Cheers

J

kurlykris said:
Put good sturdy padlocks on your engines chaps, Les can whip one out in an hour, he`s so used to doing it :grin:

An hour! Only if you include a tea break.

Location is in the images and how bad they can get ...

If ally pipe is ok then sometimes with a lot of carefull effort you can get the old rubber pipe out .. its the metal end of it that corrodes and leaks .. in this case its just a rubber pipe to replace and a lot cheaper .

Attachments

• very_corroded_941.jpg
    very_corroded_941.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 5,384
  • 845ec76ced869ab6de8fa1f8ef17cf21_941.jpg
    845ec76ced869ab6de8fa1f8ef17cf21_941.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 5,384
  • 03c866065606feaa94bd6824bab2707d_121.jpg
    03c866065606feaa94bd6824bab2707d_121.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 5,380

New Threads

Forum statistics