Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Joined the dead engine club

markj113

Silverstone
As it seems all the rage at the moment my 2001 996 C4 decided to join the dead engine club.

Driving to work yesterday around 4.30am and all was well, I then noticed the low coolant light had come on but engine temperature was normal and driving well. I then hit some traffic on the M5 and a truck pulled alongside to tell me my car was smoking badly (didnt notice as it was dark and heavy water spray off road).

Pulled off at next junction to find water tank empty and steam coming out the back. AA turned up and found a small split in the return hose just before the tank. He cut it a little shorter, re attached the pipe, filled coolant and I was on my way again .... for another 5 minutes :(

5 mintues later low collant light again, this time around it was an AA flat bed back to D9 autotech in Bridgend.

Had a call this morning and it looks like a cracked cylinder liner, how many and the severity wont be known until the engine is out and stripped down.

The car has done just over 157,000 miles so cant complain. I have put 59k on it personally. So its rebuild time and when I know the true cost ill see whats left in the budget to get other jobs done at the same time such as the IMS, get the brake lines checked etc.

Its only money :sad:

Sorry to hear that, even though its done plenty of miles there is never a good time for things like this to happen.

All the best.

Oh dear :nooo:

Seems like you have a positive attitude anyway, hopefully some good will come out of it and it will be good for another 160k miles at least!

Sorry to hear this Mark; let us all know how you get onm8

Osh

Mark good attitude and what a decent purchase in the first place for the car to do 160k before a big bill . :grin: good luck getting it sorted and remember if you had brought a new focus you would have lost more in depreciation than the repair of the 996 is going to cost and been stuck driving a focus :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Mark good attitude and what a decent purchase in the first place for the car to do 160k before a big bill . :grin: good luck getting it sorted and remember if you had brought a new focus you would have lost more in depreciation than the repair of the 996 is going to cost and been stuck driving a focus :thumb: :thumb:

And here's a man talking a lot of sense :thumb:

Best of luck op. I know the pain well but there is always the silver lining of a sorted car at the end of it all

+1 from me also, good to see a positive approach as at 160k the engine has done a superb job.

Best of luck with the rebuild, too many are buying into these cars with a veiw they must be an appreciating asset (they probably will be in time) as said you buy a Mondeo or such like and the depreciation is more than the cost of an engine refresh and at 12 - 15 years old the car is simply recycled for £150 cash in ur hand.

Are you considering a displacement increase? Now is the time to do it :thumb:

Sorry to hear your news Marc. Bear in mind that a rebuilt 911 (even with 160k) will outlast most new stuff on today's road.

I have budgeted for this eventuality also - swap depreciation £ for maintenance £.

Although the title was yet again quite alarming it's reassuring to hear that your car has covered 157k before it let go,

Wishing you all the best with the rebuild and many more enjoyable miles :thumb:

Sorry to hear about your 996 Mark. Mine has been in with D9 since last Wednesday when it gave up (suspected IMS failure) not had any news from them so surprised you've had a diagnosis so soon. My engine was only rebuilt a year (4.5k) ago :sad:

scarletboarder said:
Sorry to hear about your 996 Mark. Mine has been in with D9 since last Wednesday when it gave up (suspected IMS failure) not had any news from them so surprised you've had a diagnosis so soon. My engine was only rebuilt a year (4.5k) ago :sad:

Was yours a silver one?

The D9 autotec owner pointed it out and said it was in for engine work too.

My diagnosis was just an indictor, pressurised coolant system and they did find some gases in coolant. Wont know the full diagnosis until the engine is out and stripped.

He did mention yours was first in the queue :)

p.s. notice from your sig your in Swansea, I am from Morriston. If you ever need error codes checked give me a shout as I have a Icarsoft i960 which may save a few £s.

Yes the silver one. Just spoke to Neil. Had been expecting a call before they started any major work. They have the engine out already. The dealer I purchased it from isn't returning my calls. D9 were the ones who rebuilt the engine last year, see thread 'Bang after 102 days' in the 996 section.

Thanks for the offer on the code reader :thumb:

Phil

Hi Op sad news but as many have said 160k miles not too shabby
good luck :thumb:

So sorry OP .. there seems to be several engines failing atm .. more than ive seen since ive been here .. even got one in the workshop atm which sounds very similar to yours .. loss of coolant into a cyl due to a cracked head .. it split a liner .

New liner / head required .. which unfortunatly is a total engine strip to get the liner replaced.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back