Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Passenger Door Lock - Issues!!

VinceB

Hockenheim
Afternoon gents, for the last couple of days the car has decided that it doesn't want to lock. If I hit the remote she locks, unlocks and then beeps. I have narrowed the issue down to the passenger door lock which doesn't appear to be working properly.

Oddly this only comes about when I leave the car outside for any period of time and its in any way cold. If I garage the car it seems to warm up and the lock then works ish, if I lock the car with the key the drivers door will lock but the passenger door stays open.

Anybody know what the issue is likely to be with the door lock?

Theres micro switches in them for lock and secure , these often stick so if that then the lock assembly needs replaceing , not a hard job .

Needs a tester on it to confirm as it could also be drivers side depending on what switch is sticking.

Its a VW/Audi part number starting 8N1 so you may be able to save some money by buying it in a VW box rather than a Porsche one.....

steve r said:
Its a VW/Audi part number starting 8N1 so you may be able to save some money by buying it in a VW box rather than a Porsche one.....

A good tip! I think I may have to strip it down in a couple of weeks to narrow down the problem. I haven't been able to lock it now for about a week but cant commit to any work as I get married this weekend and the car needs to be ready to go.

Its literaly 5 mins with a tester on actual values or event history to find whats open .. removeing and trying to check the micro switches with a meter will i feel take a lot longer and its not something ive ever checked that way .. a garage may end up saveing time and possibly money by checking it .

Congrats btw :D

Try pressing the lock button 3 times, it should override the fault and hopefully lock the door.

Good luck with the wedding, my passenger lock failed at a wedding, was best man & arrived at the venue with the groom, car wouldn't lock. :-(

The micro switches are part of the door lock .. so yes thats the part .. but it could be the drivers side thats faulty .. personnely i wouldnt buy a second hand one .. its a pretty common fault so the chances of a second hand part lasting you 5 years .. hmmm

Btw .. its bloody freezeing here at work with the doors open .. dam garages .. whinge .. mutter ...

Cheers Demort,

Out of interest can the microswitches be replaced independently of the mechanism?

I don't miss the cold it's about 30 here during the day. It's a beautiful place there is no doubt. Mind you there appears to be very few English here almost everybody we have met is French. I am, in a strange way, looking forward to getting home though, my wheels should be ready to pick up by the time I get back so am looking forward to doing a custom center cap and bolting them on 8)

Its on my to do list to strip a lock and see if they can be repaired .. for now i would say no though .. sourceing the switches might not be that easy and its not straight forward to strip from the brief look ive had at one when thinking about this .

Ill have to investigate further when i get a dead one and a little time :)

Looks like a new one from design 911 is only 150. Somebody said its a shared part with vw/audi so I'll have a look and see how much they are there. Thanks for all the help matey.

I repaired mine years ago when I first brought the car. Mine was drivers side and was to do with the soldered links on the microswitches rather than the switches themselves. As I say a long time ago but I remember soldering some little cable links in there. I only did it as a temporary fix to prove that was what was causing my double beep alarm fault. My doors locked and unlocked with the fob but when I used the key only the drivers door would unlock. So different symptoms. Would be a lot easier with a durametric as demort suggests. If you are near me you are welcome to use mine.

911tom said:
I repaired mine years ago when I first brought the car. Mine was drivers side and was to do with the soldered links on the microswitches rather than the switches themselves. As I say a long time ago but I remember soldering some little cable links in there. I only did it as a temporary fix to prove that was what was causing my double beep alarm fault. My doors locked and unlocked with the fob but when I used the key only the drivers door would unlock. So different symptoms. Would be a lot easier with a durametric as demort suggests. If you are near me you are welcome to use mine.
Hi 911Tom what Durametric do you have /recommend?
Also my window on passenger side drops a little to get into car (normal), but as soon as handle is released the window goes back up and i cannot close door because it fouls the seals, is this the same switches on the lock or on the door handle?? it's a 2001 996.
any advise please? :thumb:

As the glass drops when you pull the handle then the handle switch is fine. There is microswitch within the lock mechanism that monitors when the door is open. This will be your problem, so yes new mechanism required.

I have a durametric pro. I'm fairly confident it has actual values for the central locking but can't check unfortunately as my car is, well, out of reach. From what you describe it sounds like the locking mechanism

Thanks 911Tom :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back