Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Road tax 2017

Slayer

More here:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=111103

But my take on it, is:

The new VED does FOUR main things:

1) Punish higher CO2 emitters (same old same old), but as all new cars have become cleaner, the same tax take requires band re-pricing (or the VED will eventually raise nothing)
but, additional new thinking is
2) Only do this for the first year - this is to reflect the biggest environmental impact of a car is its production, and only the first owner is responsible for this and any subsequent owners should NOT be encouraged to scrap an already built car just because the road tax is too high
3) All cars use the road, so only subsidised all-electric (ZEV) get a free ride now.
4) Charge a premium on expensive cars >£40k RRP and only for the first six years [technically years 2-6] - ie taxed on apparent ability to pay, which must be better than taxing those not able to pay, again any subsequent owners should NOT be encouraged to scrap an already built car just because the road tax is too high

PS

a 991 Turbo S currently costs £2,090 for the first six years, from next year it will cost £3,450 for the first six years.

BUT, after year six, the VED is just £140 vs current £290

a 991 GT3 currently costs £3,6250 for the first six years, from next year it will cost £4,250 for the first six years.

BUT, after year six, the VED is just £140 vs current £505

Make sure you get a feb build / march delivery slot :)

I think this only applies to cars bought new from 2017 and becoming used thereafter?

I think its very disappointing that there isn't a bigger tax penalty for diesel cars whose NO emissions are causing 1000s of deaths a year.

to want a penalty for diesel vehicles is a savage opinion, diesel is our lifeblood, we get very few perks, but the extra mpg is a great thing that shouldn't be punished.

Palladium said:
to want a penalty for diesel vehicles is a savage opinion, diesel is our lifeblood, we get very few perks, but the extra mpg is a great thing that shouldn't be punished.

"Lifeblood" is a bit ironic given the facts; Daily Mail not known as a lefty pro-eco paper - see this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...reveals-models-emit-15-times-safe-amount.html

"Around 30,000 people die each year in the UK because of pollution – usually of heart attacks, strokes or asthma – and around 23,500 of these are directly attributable to diesel cars."

Government has been beating up us owners of big capacity petrol cars too long.

CFo said:
I think this only applies to cars bought new from 2017 and becoming used thereafter?

I think its very disappointing that there isn't a bigger tax penalty for diesel cars whose NO emissions are causing 1000s of deaths a year.

Yep, just new (not retrospective)

jonttt said:

That may be somewhat shortsighted when the DCF of future VED is taken into account when you sell it on in six years time.

The residuals of a car this side of the VED change vs one a day later could be thousands of pounds LESS!

GT4 said:
The residuals of a car this side of the VED change vs one a day later could be thousands of pounds LESS!

:hand: Oh no a future values debate on the Macan coming up...........

CFo said:
"Around 30,000 people die each year in the UK because of pollution – usually of heart attacks, strokes or asthma – and around 23,500 of these are directly attributable to diesel cars."

Smoke and mirrors chum. More diesels than petrol on the road who all pay less road tax than petrol equivalent therefore Govt losing money and realising it's an easy win to tax the easy target. Saving the planet is a load of shoite when you look at what international pollution rates are - ie China

CFo said:

Smoke and mirrors chum. More diesels than petrol on the road who all pay less road tax than petrol equivalent therefore Govt losing money and realising it's an easy win to tax the easy target. Saving the planet is a load of shoite when you look at what international pollution rates are - ie China[/quote]

That's my point! Diesels paying less road tax, when really, given they are killing us with their NO emissions they ought to pay more.

I refuse to buy a car where I have to pay £500+ for VED as a matter of principle where I am a private purchaser :grin: If this means it limits my options then so be it.

GT4 said:
jonttt said:

That may be somewhat shortsighted when the DCF of future VED is taken into account when you sell it on in six years time.

No maybe about it but I'll let the 3rd owner worry about that :grin:

Zingari said:
GT4 said:

:hand: Oh no a future values debate on the Macan coming up...........

You mean all Porsches don't increase in value :dont know:

I was basing my purchase of a new porsche on the experience of my purchase of a second hand one :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back