Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Leaking Rear Window around Wiper

Aphill80

Silverstone
Hi all,

Sorry i tried the search and failed, so apologies if this repetitive i have been getting heavy condensation on the inside of the car for a while and coming from a Boxster this a sign water is getting in.

Just had a heavy down pour and went out to check and the rear carpet around the rear window wiper is soaking.

I have it in my head that i have seen a thread on the internet that there is a known issue on a seal on the wiper assembly but cant not relocate it for the life of me.

Before i go off and buy parts on the attached assembly and what parts? am i right?

Thanks

Andy

997T_2009_9_04_904-05.jpg

Ha typical I always get the uncommon leaks!

It's not a targa and no sunroof, it's definitely pretty sodden on the carpet in the location of the windscreen wiper,

Can't think of another weak point it could be coming in from.

Will order those parts might as well get a blade at the same time thanks for the reply

Andy

This is interesting as the last time I washed mine I noticed the wiper was moving around where it meets the glass, probably 5mm or more from the centre in all directions

I don't think mine is loose as such but that said i have not checked!

if i am taking it apart to look at the seal either way there is no point in putting it back together with a old seal.

A

Bomber said:
This is interesting as the last time I washed mine I noticed the wiper was moving around where it meets the glass, probably 5mm or more from the centre in all directions

I correct myself, mine moves similar to your observation. Humm is this normal or has it come loose? making the rubber seal ineffective

A

are there any water drains that may be blocked?

If no sunroof and not a targa then there are no drains .

The rear screen is a possible place for a leak and thats basically all there is on your car that it could be other than the wiper seal.

Its going to be the wiper seal though .. if you have sideways movement then theres a gap .. if theres a gap then it will leak.

A small amount of movement would be normal though .. its a rubber seal after all :)

I would asume it leaks after either washing or when parked .. possibly in a certain position .. i doubt it would leak if just driveing in the rain .

went to a mates to look at his 997 which also has a rear wiper

His moves back and forth, side to side by about 3-4mm excatly the same as mine. His does not leak

BUT... mine also moves up and down by say 5mm his did not.

Tried to tighten the arm up to the spindle but its appears to be as tight as it wants to go. My Mates seal looked no different to mine.

I have ordered the new seal and parts hoping it that even though I am not convinced.

A

You have to take the wiper arm off then the cover and theres a 22mm nut under it .. this might be loose .

Nut is not shown on the image but probably on the list of items .. site i looked at it was 6a .

I have had the same issue. Rubber part number 7 is threaded and can become 'unscrewed' from the wiper motor outer spindle.

I had this issue on my 911. Always a little bit of water running down inside. I resolved it by removing the wiper and fitting a new screen! Haha Just kidding I did do those things but not because of the leak.

Outer seal part 7 is threaded on to the wiper motor assembly. You will find it has come unscrewed with normal wiper operation.

I have a very wet rear passenger-side seat, under the leather cushion. Wiper arm seal also looks worn and moves about.

Could this be it? Or the rear side window?

It is a coupe and I have tried to google it and not found much info about a coupe with a wet rear seat.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back