Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone fitted a Turbo to their 2.7 Boxster or Cayman?

Kimbo

There are times in my 6spd 2.7 Gen 1 Cayman, when faced with a quarter of a mile of empty dual carriageway, I'd like more power, and I enjoy the kick in the back thrill that Turbo cars produce.

Anyone fitted a Turbo to their 2.7? My car is a keeper and I reckon it could be the ultimate with a bit more GO. I don't want a 3.4S.

TPC Racing in America produce a Stage 1 version for about £7000 which gives an extra 100hp, but it's a lot of dough even before fitting. Mind you, it looks a lot of fun.

Any thoughts/experiences for someone who wants to grow old disgracefully?

Maping might be the obvious first port of call .

Ragpicker changed his throttle body / air houseing on his 986 .. not sure if theres an equivilent for the Cayman though ... perhaps 997 setup .

Turbo .. out of my depth im afraid , not much room and you would need x2 , not cheap :(

I would start with a remap first though .

James would know more than me .. ill ask him tomorrow .

Yes, very popular in the US, and I like their view on customising... and I wish I had their salaries. Boost is 4 apparently for the Stage 1 which is good for 100hp and fairly safe.

The mapping route plus bits is obviously cheaper but would you get the kick in the back I'm after?

I'm sure it has been done and by the sounds of it you've started researching. Boost will be low in comparison to a normal turbo car. Which in turn means the power gains won't be all that high. I'd take the yank figures with pinch of salt and suggest you only do it if you'd be happy with a 50bhp gain. That way any more and you'll very happy.

I`m led to believe that the IPD plenum/GT3 throttle body + panel filter and remap will be £1000+ and won`t give you anything like the gains that you`re looking for Kimbo, but would help.

I would have thought that a Supercharger kit would be a better/cheaper option and than a Turbo, plus it`s a little more bolt on then the Turbo kits by the looks of it, they say it takes 1 day to fit :dont know:

You`re still looking at the thick end of £10K though, is it worth it :dont know:

Fit a same generation 3.8L Carerra engine, plenty of examples in the USA.

Someone like Porscheshop could do it.

Mapping wont give very good results so im told , neither will any throttle body mods , turbo is pretty expensive .. results , but i was told you can double the cost of buying the parts just to fit it :(

Sorry .

NITROUS :D

NO it won't blow up your engine..
I've had it on 2 previous cars..
£ per bhp / torque you can't beat it..

This WILL give you the shove in the back you're looking for..

Looking at approx. £1500 more or less to supply n fit..
They'll start you off with 30bhp jets which will 'feel' like 50bhp and 50ft/lb torque and you can go up in jet size to the value of 40% of the cars natural power BEFORE having to strengthen the engine internals..
So its a Win Win with Nitrous.. :thumbs:

A turbo will change the character of the engine quite a bit. I'd think quite carefully before spending the money.

Personally I think the wiser option would be to put the money towards swapping the car for a gen 2 3.4 if the lack of performance is a major issue. Would probably be cheaper in the long run too given that the market generally doesn't like things like aftermarket turbos on Porsches. Even if no plans to sell, I think a change to a gen 2 3.4 even if it means saving up for a bit is a better long term bet if you are having issues with the performance of your 2.7

Junky said:
NITROUS :D

NO it won't blow up your engine..
I've had it on 2 previous cars..
£ per bhp / torque you can't beat it..

This WILL give you the shove in the back you're looking for..

Looking at approx. £1500 more or less to supply n fit..
They'll start you off with 30bhp jets which will 'feel' like 50bhp and 50ft/lb torque and you can go up in jet size to the value of 40% of the cars natural power BEFORE having to strengthen the engine internals..
So its a Win Win with Nitrous.. :thumbs:

Thanks for that. Sounds like a Gas! And I've got space in the boot, to boot.

DEMORT?

Well i guess nitro has moved on a long way from when i was younger as then it was a case of watching your con rods dissapear down the road if fitted to a standard car .

Well out of my depth im afraid .. i fix them not modify them :p

ill ask James tommorrow :)

(I don't want you to have to fix mine).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back