Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

4 different 911's. Which one will appreciate the most?

Niall996

Doing a bit of browsing today and noticed four 911's on Paul Stephen's site, each very desirable, each offering a very different proposition but all within a certain price band (sort of). My question is, which of the four will perform the best, value wise, in the market over the next ten years?

MK2 GT3 65K
http://www.paul-stephens.com/prestige-cars/Porsche-996-U1926/

911 3.2 Carrera 60K
http://www.paul-stephens.com/prestige-cars/Porsche-911-U1944/

993 C2S 62K
http://www.paul-stephens.com/prestige-cars/Porsche-993-U1958/

Outlaw Hotrod 75K
http://www.paul-stephens.com/prestige-cars/Porsche-911-U1897/

The GT3 is obviously a great driving machine but its still ultimately a 996 so has a comparatively mainstream body style.
The Retro looks cool but will they be seen as a bit of a post recession fad in ten years? Or will they always be cool?
The 993, has a solid fanbase at the moment. To them it's the best of both worlds, air cooled character with a modern styling twist. To others, it's the opposite, the lesser of two worlds, neither modern nor classic.
The 3.2 is simple, classic and appears standard. Is this what people will want most in ten years?

If I had to choose now, for me it would be between the Outlaw and the GT3. I love the aesthetics of the Outlaw but the driving experience would sway me every time to the GT3. But the world is changing rapidly and new generations are coming through. Which one is the best investment? And which will be the loser?

I reckon the GT3.

The earlier cars IMO have probably done the best of their appreciating, my theory being simply that collectors' cars hit a sweet spot as those who were old enough to covet but did not have the funds at the time are now in a position to buy those dream cars (its not got any more scientific than that I'm afraid!) and I'm not sure the GT3 has quite got there yet.

The GT3 looks good value relatively, both to other similar cars like a CSL and against newer equivalents such as the 991R. That one is proper low miles too, not sure if the Saudi history would count against it.

The hotrod will be the worst- its basically a mongrel 3.2. As such it should be less or at best as much as, but not more, than a proper 3.2. It would not surprise me if cars like that were not converted back to OE spec one day...

I would say GT3 as well though the 996 isn't my favourite Porsche,

If the 993 was manual my money would be on that one.

I can only see very special outlaws i.e. Singer doing well in 20 years time.

But then I may be completely wrong lol

GT3 defffo!

The 996 is on the edge of rocketing in value, just like it's previous models did. The older two have (as Zingari says) done their dough.

Can't comment on the last one as don't know much about them.

I could be wrong, 996t boxster s. 356.gt3.

I view them all as depreciating assets in the next 2-5 years

for 10 years time.
i think the 993 has the wrong gearbox
and the 996 is LHD

re the carrera 3.2 for 10 years would you rather have a 993 or a 3.2 carrera ?

The classic market today is very fragile in my opinion

Actually I didn't look at he gearbox's or RHD v LHD actually. Oops!

The way car technology is advancing so quickly I'm not so sure that something like the GT3 will be seen as all that brilliant in the future. So maybe the cars that offer most a) nostalgia, b) charm or otherness and c) pure rarity, (although rarity is no guarantee of future desirability) is what people in the future will value.

I'm thinking from the perspective of how people are changing and their attitudes to cars are changing. Without necessarily knowing it, the current generation between say, 35 and 55 or thereabouts have probably been through the last great golden age of the internal combustion engine. It might be over sooner than we realize. And even in terms of the types of cars that have up to now existed - there may not even be such a thing as a sports cars in twenty years. People may look at you blankly when you mention the phrase. There almost certainly wont be three box saloons or 'sedans.''

Urbanisation, traffic, legislation, values, autonomous driving, sharing, tech driven societal changes etc. Right now, you can't drive a car that's over twenty years old in Paris. Other cities are likely to follow. A 996 turbo from 2000 will not be allowed into Paris Monday to Friday in just over three years. The everyday supercar! As much as classic car people like classic cars, a hell of a lot of people don't care about them and don't want particularly see any point in them being around.Perhaps the only 911 that will be desirably in twenty years is the near future cars , like hybrid 911's that are future proofed somewhat.

A lot depends on where you'll be living in the future. But if a track is the only place you're going to get to have fun, the GT3 might just be the only choice. But from 2025, just over eight years away, if you're a Parisienne, it's strictly a weekend toy.

It'll be 100 years before what's going on in the likes of Paris or London happens round my manor. Same goes for around 90% of the country! I only have to travel about 10 miles away and there's villages where people have to be carried out the pub to their car because they're too p1$$ed to walk to it. As for speeding, etc. you only have to spend 5 minutes on youtube to see how many folk are out at the weekend 'opening up' their toys.

(wind in to ten minutes)

alex yates said:
It'll be 100 years before what's going on in the likes of Paris or London happens round my manor. Same goes for around 90% of the country! I only have to travel about 10 miles away and there's villages where people have to be carried out the pub to their car because they're too p1$$ed to walk to it. As for speeding, etc. you only have to spend 5 minutes on youtube to see how many folk are out at the weekend 'opening up' their toys.

(wind in to ten minutes)

I wonder how long that sort of thing can go on for. It's surely only a matter of time before technology shuts down crazy public road speeding. Road rockets will be consigned to tracks and museums and the 911's of the future will be lifestyle image machines only, not particularly quick, but very nice to look at. There may even be a big future in retro fitting electric motors to old air cooled body shells. So maybe buy the Paul Stephens thing and in a few years dump the engine.

Non of that will ever happen in our grandkids lifetime!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back