Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres

richardlee

Silverstone
Hi,
I'm after some advice on tyres for my 996, what make and model(?) of tyre would you guys recommend. I've been told Michelin are the way to go but what ones? Also I have 265s on the back and they have bit of a stretched look, I've seen later models have 285s. If I made the change to this size would it have any adverse effects on handling

Thanks in advance

Have a read of this sub-forum and you'll get a few answers.

=> Wheels and Tyres

Quick answers = Michelin PS2s are generally regarded as the N rated tyre to go for. For the correct sizes refer to the plate on your door frame or the drivers manual.

Mine had the 265's on the rear and I know what you mean by the stretched look.

I've replaced them with Conti SC2's N2 using 285 for the rear. Now they match the look of the fronts much better.

I just replaced my rear 285 Conti SC2s with PS2s and there is a good improvement in grip and reduction in noise.

Availability for the rears isn't good at the moment but Kwik Fit online had them and were a good £60-100 cheaper than anywhere else.

If you go to 285 from 265 (assume 18 inch), you need to go to a lower profile to keep the rolling radius the same (or close). In your case it will be from a 35 profile to 30. This is very important if you have a C4 or C4S.

A lot depends on the rim width of the 18 inch wheel as well, but if you say the your 265s look at bit stretched, it sounds like you rim will support a 285 tyre.

As T8 says, these tyre sizes should be confirmed on the plate and the handbook. I wouldn't deviate from recommendations on either of these.

I use Michelin PS2 which I find good from a noise / grip / stability / mileage / combination.

I got my best deal from Kwik Fit on one of their promotions. One on now for Pirelli at Kwik Fit if you fancy those. They are N rated as are the PS2s.

Increasing the tyre width will of course help with the stretched look but bare in mind that the width is only a nominal measurement. There can be quite a difference between actual sizes even for tyres that are the same size.

For instance, I have recently replaced Pirelli with Yokohama on the back on my 997.1 (295 width) and the Yokohama appear to be quite slim on the tread face compared to the Pirelli.

And FWIW I would also recommend the Yoko V105S to you for your 996.

Lots of good advice above, Richard.

Over all of our years (my friends and I) and many 911s, my view is simple, although like oil recommendations, it's a can of worms. ;)

Best is purely subjective but I'll use that word anyway :grin: ,
Best road tyre with N rating - Michelin PS2.
Best road tyre if you don't buy into the N rating - Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

During normal road driving though lots of others come close. My car is wearing P zero Rossos at the moment which lots of people slate yet for normal to quick road driving they seem fine.

When I fit my refurbished GT3 rims next year I'm fitting Federal 595 RSRs. The haters will mock but these things are awesome. £390 per set versus £800 for the MPSS and they aren't far behind at all.

Doubt I'd put them on a daily car for winter as caution is needed for standing water but for my sunny day summer car they'll be good.
If I thought I'd be selling the car I'd fit PS2s as some fussy buyers are still hell bent on the N rating. You don't need to be though and your Insurance company aren't interested in it, but I won't open that debate here.

As long as you're running 7.5/8 fronts and 10 inch rear 18 inch rims the tyre sizes are -

Front 225/40 R18
Rear 285/30 or 265/35

My C2 is currently on the 265s and they do look stretched.
My MK1 GT3 with same size rears wore 285s and they looked much squarer and betterer in my opinion. :puh:

Camskill online always seem cheapest for me but then you have fitting on top. Black circles used to be good and I think they have fitting "partners" all over.

Edited to add - The above is my view on tyres upto 996 era cars. After that I'm not sure as although my friends have owned new GT3s, GT4s etc I have only owned upto 996 era and older.
I think there are other options for the newer cars, such as Michelin Cups etc.

A few of us are running Falken Azensis tyres and they are a decent tyre (ok not approved) and I sourced mine off Amazon.com selected to Europe wide search. Mine were dispatched from Germany (forget the name of the dealer) but really low prices and arrived within 5 working days

:thumb:

Done lots off road/fast/silly/wet/track/Nurburgring stuff on Michelin Ps2s and always found them to be safe, grippy and reasonably economic depending on car set up....I trust them :thumb:

Wow thanks for all the info guys! I think I'll have a look for the PS2's and go for the 285 section tyre for the rear

Bluebird911 said:
I got my best deal from Kwik Fit on one of their promotions. One on now for Pirelli at Kwik Fit if you fancy those. They are N rated as are the PS2s.

Looked this morning but it seems that offer must have ended or they had run out of 285/30/18s.

Mike

If you are going to look at Michelin, then have a look at Costco - you need to be a member, but the "all inclusive" price normally beats anyone else.

I use the Watford one, and they seem very helpful and knowledgeable.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back