Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight Eyelids

upcycle

Apologies if this has been done to death, I'm a (reasonably) new 996 owner and also new to the forum. I've seen a few mentions elsewhere of headlight eyelids that can be attached to soften the 996 fried egg look.

I currently have a 2003 996 Targa so I'm just exploring the options.

Any good / bad experiences or good sources for the best value/quality eyelids?

Thanks for whatever pearls of wisdom come forth!

Like these -

Could catch on I suppose. :wink:

I know what you mean really.

A) I think they were only available for 996.1's not the face lifted 02 onwards cars. Although I'm not 100% on that.
B) They never look right because you have the pattern lines in headlight which are really noticeable. So although you have a cover on with round holes in you can tell there aren't seperate round lights fitted.

A bit like in the olden days of 80's/90's Fords. You could buy proper Morette twin lamp units or the cheap mans version, a stick on cover with round holes in. The latter always looked naff.

Welcome to 911uk anyway. :thumb:

Now I know what to add to the lederhosen list for consideration for the Dinslaken run in April :thumb: :grin:

Attachments

• porsche_car_eyelashes_watermark_222.png
    porsche_car_eyelashes_watermark_222.png
    574.3 KB · Views: 5,932
  • porsche_964_convertible_1990__rallye_des_princesses_2014_141.jpg
    porsche_964_convertible_1990__rallye_des_princesses_2014_141.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 5,932
What's wrong with 996.1 headlights?! Even ambers look good these days - retro.

OK so the traditional round lights look better but then again so did the whole car; produced less power, handled worse, rusted and now cost a fortune though.

Sorry but those covers look naff.

911munKy said:
What's wrong with 996.1 headlights?! Even ambers look good these days - retro.

OK so the traditional round lights look better but then again so did the whole car; produced less power, handled worse, rusted and now cost a fortune though.

Sorry but those covers look naff.

but I take it you like the eye lashes :floor: :floor:

@ Phil, those car lashes match your own heavily mascara'd eyes now just add a rouge blusher to the front wings and that's your cheeks covered too

OP - I've seen a member on another forum sculpt covers using Plasti-dip, again it doesn't look right either. I think when it's dark you get the impression of the frog eyes but the indicators look wrong and in the cold light of day just looks Shiite

Ursa911 said:
@ Phil, those car lashes match your own heavily mascara'd eyes now just add a rouge blusher to the front wings and that's your cheeks covered too

Ursa! im eating my toast, man....!!

osh

Phil 997 said:
Now I know what to add to the lederhosen list for consideration for the Dinslaken run in April :thumb: :grin:

:floor: Phil

That's one of your mod's I won't be following !

@ upcycle - :welcome: don't be put off by the banter, we're a friendly bunch, so don't take this as a p!ss take at you :thumb:

Embrace the styling ... sure, the lights split opinion,
- focus on the bits you do like , e.g. The roof :grin:
- always approach the car from the back
- be happy when you're in the driving seat, you can't see the lights

:lol:

Well you guys don't hang about in responding, thanks for sharing the various views and the previously run thread which I must have missed. I certainly don't want to cheapen the car's look (though the false lashes do have a certain appeal I agree) but I'd prefer the smaller, classic headlight look if it was achievable without it looking a DIY mess. Pause for thought I guess.

Anybody actually stuck on or taped on or reworked their lights in this way?

And yes, 996 Targa roofs are interesting but at least mine works (for the time being).

cheers

upcycle said:
Well you guys don't hang about in responding, thanks for sharing the various views and the previously run thread which I must have missed. I certainly don't want to cheapen the car's look (though the false lashes do have a certain appeal I agree) but I'd prefer the smaller, classic headlight look if it was achievable without it looking a DIY mess. Pause for thought I guess.

Anybody actually stuck on or taped on or reworked their lights in this way?

And yes, 996 Targa roofs are interesting but at least mine works (for the time being).

cheers

upcycle, have you considered something like this to lift them

https://www.jadagram.com/i/garageworks_sd/267373133?next=1239942942646401782

Attachments

• 13126835_1073722866018940_811167595_n_134.jpg
    13126835_1073722866018940_811167595_n_134.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 5,735
Ursa911 said:

OP - I've seen a member on another forum sculpt covers using Plasti-dip, again it doesn't look right either. I think when it's dark you get the impression of the frog eyes but the indicators look wrong and in the cold light of day just looks Shiite

:floor: Bal, Only at the weekends mate 8) well now Pete Burns has gone someone needs to front the look :floor: :floor: And it will be acid green blusher thats needed :grin: :thumb:

Osh said:
Ursa911 said:

Ursa! im eating my toast, man....!!

osh

Osh, Is i'm eating my toastman, a Bristol euphemism for something far more deviant :floor: :floor:

askgeez said:
Phil 997 said:

:floor: Phil

That's one of your mod's I won't be following !

@ upcycle - :welcome: don't be put off by the banter, we're a friendly bunch, so don't take this as a p!ss take at you :thumb:

Embrace the styling ... sure, the lights split opinion,
- focus on the bits you do like , e.g. The roof :grin:
- always approach the car from the back
- be happy when you're in the driving seat, you can't see the lights

:lol:

Geez, not even for the Germany run mate :thumb: :grin: lederhosen , Hawaiian shirts and eyelashes on the cars ,it reminds me of when topgear did the gay thing in the states and got chased by rednecks :floor: you know you want to really mate :grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back