Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 - iPod options

911_AS

On my 997.2, I have the Universal Audio dock underneath the centre arm rest, with the black "Y" cable connected to iPod DIN and the USB. The other end is the old style 30-PIN Apple connector.

Although I have a 30-PIN to Lightning adapter, I have an iPhone 6 Plus, which is far too large to fit in the allocated gap. Even though I use Spotify and other music streaming services, I am going to place a bulk of my iTunes collection onto an iPod, and leave the iPod permanently in the car. I'm guessing this is what most owners do?

Question is - which iPod comfortably fits in the gap, with all the wires neatly tucked in and the arm rest closed?

I am contemplating buying an old iPod Classic 160GB, which has the previous 30-PIN connector on board, removing the need for the Lightning adapter. However, does the iPod classic fit into the gap, or do I need to buy a smaller iPod, such as the Nano, and keep my 30 PIN to Lightning adapter?

If anyone has any photographs of what the setup looks like, please do share.

911_AS said:
On my 997.2, I have the Universal Audio dock underneath the centre arm rest, with the black "Y" cable connected to iPod DIN and the USB. The other end is the old style 30-PIN Apple connector.

Although I have a 30-PIN to Lightning adapter, I have an iPhone 6 Plus, which is far too large to fit in the allocated gap. Even though I use Spotify and other music streaming services, I am going to place a bulk of my iTunes collection onto an iPod, and leave the iPod permanently in the car. I'm guessing this is what most owners do?

Question is - which iPod comfortably fits in the gap, with all the wires neatly tucked in and the arm rest closed?

I am contemplating buying an old iPod Classic 160GB, which has the previous 30-PIN connector on board, removing the need for the Lightning adapter. However, does the iPod classic fit into the gap, or do I need to buy a smaller iPod, such as the Nano, and keep my 30 PIN to Lightning adapter?

If anyone has any photographs of what the setup looks like, please do share.

I purchased a new iPod 16 gig, back in the summer without thinking, it works perfectly using the lightning adapter but doesn't actually fit under the armrest!! So I leave it hanging down between the side of the passenger seat and centre console, it's out of the way and can't be seen, the black cable is long enough to do this.

I do just what you said and leave an ipod in the armrest all the time it stays charged so only comes out for updates. mine is not the prettiest wiring but does the job perfectly. :thumb: :grin: hope that helps, I know in the gen2 there are proper sockets where my 12v power supply is :thumb: :grin:
also mine has an extra cable for movies to go from the ipod to the alpine head unit :thumb:

Attachments

• img_0952_620.jpg
    img_0952_620.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 5,487
  • img_0953_109.jpg
    img_0953_109.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 5,487
  • img_0954_161.jpg
    img_0954_161.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 5,487
Phil 997 said:
I do just what you said and leave an ipod in the armrest all the time it stays charged so only comes out for updates. mine is not the prettiest wiring but does the job perfectly. :thumb: :grin: hope that helps, I know in the gen2 there are proper sockets where my 12v power supply is :thumb: :grin:
also mine has an extra cable for movies to go from the ipod to the alpine head unit :thumb:

Thanks Phil. Is that an iPod Classic, which has the 30-PIN connection?

effy said:
I purchased a new iPod 16 gig, back in the summer without thinking, it works perfectly using the lightning adapter but doesn't actually fit under the armrest!! So I leave it hanging down between the side of the passenger seat and centre console, it's out of the way and can't be seen, the black cable is long enough to do this.

I would like to avoid this method if possible. Perfectly good solution, although I would personally prefer nothing on display.

911_AS said:
Phil 997 said:

Thanks Phil. Is that an iPod Classic, which has the 30-PIN connection?

It's an Ipod touch 3rd or 4th gen 64gb :thumb: grabbed it off fleabay and it does the job, got a little rubber case for it so it doesn't rattle about. :thumb:

Have you also considered taking it to your local audio guys and getting a connection in the glove box which is very easy for them to do ,so you can use your 6plus plugged in there. it's just a thought :?:

Thanks Phil. I'll look into the iPod touch. I think the Classic will fit, looking at your photos.

I have considered it, will give it further thought - thanks for the steer.

I use iPhone 4 fits in arm rest ok.

My turbo 1.5 as some call them has a USB connection, don't all GEN 2 997 have them? Imho far easier updating a thumb USB stick doesn't take any room at all!

I use an ipod touch fwiw, not sure of generation (maybe 1?). Anyway, fits fine.

Just buy a 32gb usb stick, plug in and forget.

I'm feeling the frustration on this too.
The biggest annoyance for me is not being able to shut the lid to the center console and then under breaking the lid flaps down and smacks me on the elbow.

I thought about using my old 80G iPod which fits nicely but doesn't have Wifi and I listen to a lot of podcasts which auto download. I guess the answer is to pick up an old iPhone 4 32G which should have sufficient memory for the podcasts and then use an USB stick for the music?

To listen to podcasts from my phone I bought a small bluetooth receiver that fits in the armrest and plugs into the AUX socket (and can charge from USB). They cost about £10 on amazon. My phone can connect to both the PCM for voice and the transmitter for audio, at the same time. You can then stream directly from your phone (with the PCM set to AUX input).

Personally I have stayed with a phone size that fits. But for all of this thread, nobody seems to have mentioned what to me is the very obvious answer - the iPod Nano (the one which is 3"x1.5" in size - feel free to save some money against the somewhat robust list price by getting a used or refurbished one from eBay or Amazon marketplace). Should they ever tempt my into an oversized phone: that is what I will be doing...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back