Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Q= How much reward for loyalty? A = Not much

T8

Super Moderator
After 7 years with Admiral on a multi-car policy I was disappointed to see that my annual premium quote had gone up from the £1100-£1200 of previous years to just over £1400.

After a couple of hours doing On-line comparisons and making a couple of phone calls I got a like-for-like quote from Aviva of £1025.

When I rang Admiral to cancel my policy a very helpful lady re-entered my details from scratch and advised me that they could actually match the price that Aviva had come up with. This made my blood boil. :x

Following this, on principle, I may well have changed to Aviva anyway but the clincher was that Aviva had already said that if I was to go with them they'd reduce their quote by a further 20% in light of the fact that I already had medical Insurance through them.

Job done. Me = :dancetwist:

I am sure they all do it,raise premiums each year in hope you will accept it as less hastle than changing. They all can suddenly match the price when confronted with loss of business. I always check around now

This is normal yearly practice by all Insurance companies, regardless of whether its car, house, pet or travel. Every single year I go through the same game with them and have done for years.

For example, my motorbike Insurance came in earlier in the year, jumped up from £120 to £250. One quick call to my them pointing out that I can get the same cover for £115 now and they instantly drop the premium down to £120.

Same with the car, the renewal nearly always comes in at double the original cost, I call up, they instantly (without even haggling) drop it back to the original amount.

They know that a certain percentage of people wont think to question the renewal or dont have time to check, so the Insurance company jack up the premium, then try to grab it automatically through keeping your card details.

I've been with Admiral for several years as they were always the cheapest but had enough of the fun and games now.

- You can't do a new multicar quote if you're an existing policy holder so they always give you renewal hikes. Last year I did a new quote with a slightly altered name but everything else the same and it was £400 cheaper than the renewal quote :pc:

- I had a month left on my multicar policy when I sold the 996, I rang up to cancel expecting a small refund, instead they wanted to charge me £20 :floor: So I just let the policy expire.

So I ended up with limited mileage policies from Footman James, £520 for the 911 (3000 miles) and £380 for the M5 (5000 miles) so £900 total compared to £1200 I was paying with Admiral. Only caveat was that I had to join the Porsche and BMW car clubs, but I guess that's not really a bad thing :)

As motor vehicle Insurance is compulsorily in the UK, we really shouldn't have to entertain double glazing sales tactics from the people who we are meant to trust with protecting our asset. There should be some laws that dictate what these shysters can and can't do. If the Government make something law then it should be the Governments responsibility to police it and ensure our best interests are acted on at all times.
I also have to go through this stupid game every year :nooo: :x

As an example, my pensioner dad just changed his car to a skoda. He was getting worried about the Insurance hike as he had been driving around in an old banger VW worth about £200 for ages. I asked him what he had been quoted and he said he was paying about £460 for the VW and was expecting the skoda to be £700 a year.

I nearly fell of my seat and pointed out that I had been quoted just £420 for my 997 turbo! Turned out his Insurance company had been playing the above game year in year out for ages. Just jacking his premium up and he`d been happily paying it thinking that was the best price.

A quick look on confused.com and we got quotes of £280 for his new car, rather than the £700 his existing company wanted.

breakdown cover do it aswell....

14yrs with RAC and they sent a renewal note for £250 for the full-package, they were doing it for £150 for new members; one call and surprise surprise they could offer me it at £145...... :roll:

Yep I had this with Insurance. Were they would send me a renewal and if I went on gocompare the same company would beat their own renewal.

Shaoxter said:
- You can't do a new multicar quote if you're an existing policy holder so they always give you renewal hikes. Last year I did a new quote with a slightly altered name but everything else the same and it was £400 cheaper than the renewal quote :pc:

I made a formal complaint about this and although they wouldnt fully reveal the way they quote they did explain that one aspect of the quote was a soft credit check which invariably comes out with a cheaper quote when you don't exist. An issue with their quotation algorithm but they are ok with it as you can't take the policy out legally in the altered name.

I like you managed to get away with doing the same for 3 years but now they've closed the loophole!! So if I don't exist my quote for the for cars was £987 but because I do exist it was £1098. Suppose that is still better than the renewal of £1465!!

B'stards the lot of em. Just make it simple risk is the same!!

Sadly low-high pricing is totally standard and will be very difficult to change. If the insurers hadn't under priced their cover below cost in the first place the market wouldn't operate as it does.

Phil 997 said:
As motor vehicle Insurance is compulsorily in the UK, we really shouldn't have to entertain double glazing sales tactics from the people who we are meant to trust with protecting our asset. There should be some laws that dictate what these shysters can and can't do. If the Government make something law then it should be the Governments responsibility to police it and ensure our best interests are acted on at all times.
I also have to go through this stupid game every year :nooo: :x

There are laws, and an entire regulatory body - operated by the government.

There are new rules coming around tacit renewals and differential pricing for new business to existing clients. My advice is simply don't place business with crap providers just because they're cheap - buy the service and the product, not the value for money.

I'm nearly ten years into my relationship with my broker; they've looked after me extremely well and although it's never been the cheapest, it's a service I've been willing to pay for.

Conversely on my bike Insurance it's just whoever comes top of the comparison website because they're all pile em high sell em cheap monkeys, so price is the only differentiation aspect. Policy fees, crap cancellation short period rates, poor claims service, badly worded conditions such as 'leaving your vehicle unlocked' when it's not a car which shows no thought : list goes on. But I walk into that eyes wide open and just have to deal with it. On car, household, travel I don't have to as there's options for a good service.

M444TTB said:
Sadly low-high pricing is totally standard and will be very difficult to change. If the insurers hadn't under priced their cover below cost in the first place the market wouldn't operate as it does.

Totally agree, the Insurance industry is its own worst enemy. In its bid to entice new customers, it exploits existing customers and hopes they don't notice. When challenged about inflated prices, they "price match" with total disdain and disrespect as though they are doing us a favour. :x

Their cynicism needs to stop and transparent pricing should be available to all customers on all types of Insurance cover.

It's just a game we have to play.

Every year I speak to cancelations departments at car Insurance, Sky TV and my current broadband provider and always end up getting a reduction.

There's no loyalty, in fact the more loyal you are, the more they s**** you.

It shouldn't be like that but unfortunately it is.

On the plus side, it's our money and we can choose where to spend it.

And good to know about the Aviva discount!

gilessav said:
breakdown cover do it aswell....

14yrs with RAC and they sent a renewal note for £250 for the full-package, they were doing it for £150 for new members; one call and surprise surprise they could offer me it at £145...... :roll:

I use autoaid myself, miles cheaper.

For my wife we alternate between AA and RAC each year taking the new member benefits and ALWAYS go via quidco.co.uk as that completely slashes the cost.

Car Insurance every year without fail for renewal is quoted higher.

Always go via quidco for Insurance too, at least £50 cashback.

The one that upsets (rather than just p1sses me off) is how they take advantage of a certain type of loyal customer. My father was no mug but was inclined towards loyalty over switching around. After he passed away and I took an active role in helping my mum, it was clear that every insurer had been ramping prices up, little by little, year on year :nooo:

On the other hand, there's an epidemic of fraudulent claims, loads of scummy punters, organised gangs and rogue legal eagles costing huge amounts of time and money for Insurance companies. Being the whiplash capital of Europe costs us all in the end :frustrated:

I'm ok to play the comparison site game (and cancellation departments) but did go with a broker 2 years ago for wife's car and my 911 and so far been happy enough with the service as well as fairness of the pricing :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back