Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sunroof and Air Con - what's the rule?

911_AS

Sao Paulo
I posted this on the end of another thread, but thought I'd ask the question specifically.

Question for fellow sunroof owners - do you still keep the AC on, even when the Sun Roof is open?

I recall reading on here a long time ago that the AC should always be kept on (that's the actual AC button, not just the eco fans) to allow better air flow circulation. Is this the case?

Seems pointless having the AC on if the Sunroof is open. What's the correct protocol?

I agree with your last line. Pointless having your AC compressor flat out if the window and or roof open.
Either AC on or windows open.

From memory there is value in running the AC at least once a week to keep the system all in tip top shape.
As for running both open, do as you see fit. I enjoy the crispness of the AC, but dislike the dryness of it. So i get the best of both worlds

I tend to run with the aircon on and the sunroof on tilt quite often. Keeps the air less dry and keeps me nice and cool. If the full roof is open then I turn the aircon off. I actually prefer a sunroof to aircon, when driving, but wouldn't want a car with no aircon at all, so to have both is the perfect solution.
Also I've had 2 soft tops previous to the 996, and been a biker for 38 years, so I like a bit if fresh air. Old habits and all that. :D

Of course ultimately it's up to the driver but to me leaving AC on when sunroof/windows are open is a bit like leaving the tap running while you are brushing your teeth.

Or opening all your windows with the central heating full blast. Mid winter.

If you have the air con on and windows or sunroof open then surely you are trying to air con the whole world? I always turn the air con off if I have the windows/sunrof open as it sort of defeats the object of trying to get fresh air in.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back