Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ADVICE ON 911 997c2s 2008 on cold start

997GAZ

Trainee
Hi guys I've been to look at a 2008 997.1 today and when I started it from cold the engine was slightly rocking and making me shake in the drivers seat.
After it got warm and auto choke dropped off it settled and was fine!
2008 3.8 c2s with 20,000 miles.
Any ideas guys?
Cheers Gaz

Gaz, they are a bit lumpy when cold but the the choke goes off after a min or so. It might just need some new engine mounts after all the engine has been hanging there for 8 years, don't forget the engine hangs on the mounts with these cars with almost every other car the engine sits on the mounts . :thumb: :grin:

Hi mate thanks for the advice ,so you think it could be normal for it to rock me about in the seat for about 30 seconds ish then it settles after it starts to get warm.
Surely once the car got warm it would still rock on the mounts !
It's not like it's misfiring just lumpy but on when cold start. Then it goes like it's not reading air fuel mix when cold at a guess.

Just seems to run lumpy on cold start up! And stops rocking you about,strange.
Did read it could be a few things like coil pack or vacuum pipe.

Confused dot com lol

Plus it's a private sale so need to be carefull
If it's mounts is this an expensive job?

Nice car ect but bugging my it's going that when my old one did not do it.

If your considering purchasing it I'd suggest you get a PPI before handing any money over.
You can use any faults as a bargaining chip on the price or if serious and your uncomfortable with it walk away.

997GAZ said:
Hi mate thanks for the advice ,so you think it could be normal for it to rock me about in the seat for about 30 seconds ish then it settles after it starts to get warm.
Surely once the car got warm it would still rock on the mounts !
It's not like it's misfiring just lumpy but on when cold start. Then it goes like it's not reading air fuel mix when cold at a guess.

Just seems to run lumpy on cold start up! And stops rocking you about,strange.
Did read it could be a few things like coil pack or vacuum pipe.

Confused dot com lol

Plus it's a private sale so need to be carefull
If it's mounts is this an expensive job?

Nice car ect but bugging my it's going that when my old one did not do it.

Gaz, sorry I rolled too much together.
1/ the 30secs or so of lumpy idle is quite normal then it just suddenly settles nice and smooth.
2/if it was coil pack etc it would be like it all the time that's not to say it wouldn't be a good idea to change the coil packs heat shields and plugs as a good maintenance job when you first get it coilpacks are about £25 each x 6 plugs £5 each x6 heat shields about £18 each x2 a nice new air filter and if your happy to not stay stock make it a BMC sports filter all these things would be reasonably priced and a good way to start your ownership of the car.

3/the rocking if excessive might be the mounts a little sagging , not sure on the cost of OE but semi solids from RSS are about £275/300 the pair.

4/As its a gen1 even though it has very very low mileage its so worth paying to get a borescope done with the PPI . then you know your in the right place to start your ownership.

good luck keep us posted :thumb: :grin:

:yeah:

With porkers, low mileage doesn't necessarily mean less issues.

They love to be driven, and across all the rev range :thumb:

A mate had a mint 25k mile c4s and it needed an £8k rebuild , so yes PPI advisable

Rocking like that aint right!!
Whato Phil, how's it going, especially the knees!!

rigsby99 said:

Hello Alex, knees ache as the weather gets colder mate, still not as cold as you guys up in the arctic have it. going to be 17/18 deg down here this week brrrrr :) and don't tell me your sitting on a beach somewhere nice
8) :heat: you have not been on here much have you been busy work etc.

Think Gaz needs to see if any forum members are close by with a 997.1 and get a comparison, the lumpy start doesn't sound unusual , but the rocking engine and seat might need further investigating. But it might be that Gaz isn't used to the characteristics of the 997.1 and actually what he feels the rest of us have just got used to :?: :dont know: thats why a meet with another 997.1 owner would be the best guide as to whether its norm or not.

Gaz what neck of the woods are you , if your "dan saf" anywhere near Bournemouth Happy to meet :thumb: :grin:

Hi guys thanks very much for the advice ;) and thanks for wanting to meet ect to help,much appreciated .
I were going to get opc to do bore scope and check over ect.
I had a 997.1 myself and it did not do the rocking in my seat lol.
Been to look at around 6 cars upto now and none of them did that.
Some people mint condition varies quite a lot !
I made an offer but he don't want to sell the car ,bonnet and X1 f wing need re painting but really nice car other than the lumpy bit.
At end of day it's a private sale with no warranty so made an offer but no joy.
Plus I wanted one with aero kit too and that car did not have it.
Maybe back to searching again to find my ideal car
Oh and I'm in Chesterfield/Sheffield

Phil 997 said:
rigsby99 said:

Hello Alex, knees ache as the weather gets colder mate, still not as cold as you guys up in the arctic have it. going to be 17/18 deg down here this week brrrrr :) and don't tell me your sitting on a beach somewhere nice
8) :heat: you have not been on here much have you been busy work etc.

Think Gaz needs to see if any forum members are close by with a 997.1 and get a comparison, the lumpy start doesn't sound unusual , but the rocking engine and seat might need further investigating. But it might be that Gaz isn't used to the characteristics of the 997.1 and actually what he feels the rest of us have just got used to :?: :dont know: thats why a meet with another 997.1 owner would be the best guide as to whether its norm or not.

Gaz what neck of the woods are you , if your "dan saf" anywhere near Bournemouth Happy to meet :thumb: :grin:

In Hawai Phil, limbering up with a hoola hoop!!

seeforez said:
Already been talking to the guy ;) but Isle of Wight is miles and miles away ,like 8 hours with a ferry thrown in lol but would love to have a look if it was a little closer.
Agreed with you on the red car that 34k is abit steep,I offered 32k but private I was thinking 31k max for the red 08 plate.
Maybe have to sit and wait for the right car who knows.
Wish I had my old car now and not sold it as she was a Beauty and totally immaculate ;).
25,000 miles and I sold for less than £30k

Attachments

• img_0127_186.jpg
    img_0127_186.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 4,155

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back